opinions on a 338-06

Excellent explanation, Jake; the graphical presentation should really clarify the concept. In terms of velocity increase, as the bullet diameter grows larger, the percentage increase in case capacity decreases. Hence, there is less powder and less room for expansion (generation of pressure) relative to smaller bullets.

Jim liked the .338-06 AI mostly due to the sharp shoulder, limiting brass stretching and he felt it likely provided a more accurate/better headspace. The velocity gain was not the only or primary thing he was interested in when he went with the AI version.

Just for clarification. :grin:

Either way would be good. Really good...

DrMike":pkeicrgb said:
The greater the diameter of the projectile, the less gain (percentage wise) achieved through improving the cartridge.

My reason for the AI version has more to do with headspace and less case trimming.

Jake,

Great explaination!
I can tell you fellas first hand that the 280 AI has great case life and very little case trimming.

JD338

Like all custom wildcats cartridges is a matter of "What I want", or
what my ego wants.....hihi, for sure its a good custom round but will
not make any more my .338WM does. All this wildcats are "personal
preference" there is nothing magic with them. Ive have had a bunch
of them and when time goes of hunting they dont make any difference from commercial rounds.
Thats my own personal opinion.

Well, I'm pretty good at justifying a new rifle, so here's my justification for a .338-06 over a .338 WinMag:
I can get four or five rounds in the magazine, versus two or three
I will have brass without a belt
I can get close to the same velocity as a .338 WM with less powder and recoil
I'll be different than the other yahoos that I hunt with who have .338 WMs

The last is arguably the most important to me. (Plus, it's another gun!)

BK thats the way it is.......seems familiar hihihi
its something different, with commercial round and the
new breed of powders and bullets the gap between those
super wildcats and commercial rounds are almost nonexistent.
For sure I like something differente, and those rounds make
the difference, 280ai 338-06ai, that 7mmSTW that was
sucesfully made comercial and for sure a nice round and the
list goes on.-
If you want it just.......do it.
make a good consideration on barrel lenght, doesnt need
a large tube to burn powder.
had a 28" shilen that performed great with 180gr bullets and varget.

I have a 338-06 Cooper that I received this past fall. I chose a 338-06 over a 338 win mag because I hate recoil and muzzle breaks. The 338 win mag is the standard Alaskan's choice but leave it to me to be different. So far, I have been very happy but have only taken deer. No luck on the moose this year. I am sure it would do a number on a pissed off brownie if need be.

Cheers,
Steve

CZ, I'm pretty sure that when I do a (or two) .338-06, it'll have a 23" barrel. Why 23? I dunno, just something different from all the 22s, 24s, and 26s.

There is a "smith" in (or very near) Cottage Grove OR who will bore anything to .338 or larger, I am eventually gonna have him do one of my 325 WSM's to 338 Redneck - haven't gotten around to using him but I am planning on it in the near future - I am having trouble remembering the guy's name & # but I'll try to come up with it - I think an AI conversion is worthy of any cartridge just for the owner's cuiriosity, can't hurt anything and if it doesn't give that much of a FPS boost keep in mind that you'll not have to trim brass very often either ! AND remember you can STILL shoot factory loads in an AI chamber, often with enhanced accuracy potential

I thank everyone for their opinions on this 338-06. Listening to everyones ideas it makes me still want to have this cal. I am a person that likes to be differnt than everyone else especially since I am a South Paw. Everyone has brought up very valid points worthy of pondering which way to go.

Respectfully,
Gene

A Southpaw with a .338-06? Yeah, that would be a pretty exclusive group!

I think you will be happy with it. What is there really not to like, it is built off a 30-06, which is already plenty strong for most game and since you are making it a 338, you are upping the power, keeping the classic case and getting a new rifle out of the deal. I can't see any bad points. Scotty

Back