Opinions on a new "Deer" rifle

Aug 2, 2005
With funds pending on a couple firearm sales I will soon be in a position to purchase a new rifle to replace my .280 LSS. My problem is a damaged left shoulder that leaves me looking for a rifle under 7 lbs.
I have one of the (rare) Model 7, 7mm-08 25th Anniversary LTD editions w 22" bbl...gorgeous little rifle that rarely goes out but the weather is nice... :oops:

I am looking for a quality allweather rifle that is capable of sub MOA. I am open to calibers but leaning toward a .308 Win to compliment my 7mm-08. I love the 7X57 Mauser also, but there are so few rifles available. I have had good luck with Remmys and Sakos the past decade but the Sakos are leaving my budget range behind... :cry:

I have been out of the "rifle hunting" circuit for a few years and have a lot of respect for the learned riflemen here. I am also a reloader. BTW, I hunt the mixed hardwoods and cedar swamp edges here in the Upper Peninsula. We also have a high Black Bear population. :grin:

any suggestions? :mrgreen:

Tikka Ltwt SS... yes, possible :grin:
Browning BLR SS...yes, nice in .358 but they are $1000+ :roll:
Winchester 70 Fwt also a possible :grin:
A (pre Remington) Marlin 336 in .35 also peaks my interest (not sure about accuracy):lol:

Not sure where they weigh in but a Savage 99 short rifle or carbine in .300 or .308 might do the trick. She may not run sub MOA though.

I love mauser sporters but it's hard to get them that light. You could find/build one on a 93 action and shave some weight but you'll have to stick with lower pressure cartridges. .250 savage, 257 roberts, 6.5X55 swedish, 7X57, 300 sav and .35 rem are all apropriate in this action.

Don't laugh, a nice Arisaka T99 sporter is a lightweight, fast handling deer killing machine. Brass is more available than it used to be. If you get a good bore and do some trigger work they can be extremely accurate rifles. Not sure on the barrel threads, but any 30-06 or 308 family cartridge is suitable for the T99 action.

A Tikka in 6.5X55 would also be pretty sweet.

A savage .308 boltgun would also be a good bet. Not pretty but they shoot.

All of the above are "all weather" in the respect that you can goop them full of grease and they'll still function. They'll just develop a nice patina over the years and they are cheap enough to not turn your hair grey every time you see a speck of surface rust.

Northwoods Hunter":3okd5yc6 said:
A (pre Remington) Marlin 336 in .35 also peaks my interest (not sure about accuracy):lol:

Marlin336C.jpg

This is my brush rifle..... Marlin 336C in 35 Remington.

Rear Sight is a Williams Ghost Ring....Front is a Williams FireSight.

She is set for Point of Aim - Point of Impact at 75 yards using Factory Remington 200 Grain Round Nose.

It'll drop a 280 pound feral hog like a rock.

Tom,

The Marlin 1895 45-70 loaded to trap door pressure levels are fairly mild with recoil but they are deadly on WT deer.
This buck was from last year, hunting the head waters of the Cut River in the eastern end of the UP.
DeerSeason2011006.jpg

Remington offered a M700 Mountian Rifle in 257 Roberts back around 1990. If you could find one of these, it would be a great score.
The 257 Roberts loaded up with a 115 gr PT is light on recoil but would be more than enough for a big UP swamp buck of even a big black bear.
Other chamberings to consider are the 243 Win, 6mm Rem, 25-06 Rem, 260 Rem, and 6.5x55 Sweed. Any of these loaded with an AB or PT would work well in the UP.

JD338

Great rifles guys!

JD that is some great country there... never been up to the headwaters but imagine it some thick country.
Question...are the "new" Marlins going to be the same quality after the Remington take over? :cry:

Tom,

There were some real QC issues with the Remlins but it seems that they have gotton better these days.
The Marlins are shooters too. The best group I shot was zeroing in the new scope. At 100 yds, 3 Nosler 300 gr BST went .400" c/c.

JD338

JD338":3g9i3dr0 said:
Tom, The Marlin 1895 45-70 loaded to trap door pressure levels are fairly mild with recoil but they are deadly on WT deer.
This buck was from last year, hunting the head waters of the Cut River in the eastern end of the UP.JD338

It might be fun if you can find a nice Marlin 45-70 of earlier build. With a good set of optics on it, with trapdoor equivalent loads you would have a sweet rig for out to 200 yards.

Although, a nice little 257 or 7-08 would be a nice rifle..

You certainly have a number of excellent choices available to you. We are living in an era when there are a plethora of cartridges that meet the criteria you have set, and they are manufactured in a large number of rifles. I should imagine that it will come down to what appeals at an aesthetic level for you, because about anything from 243 to 30 calibre in an appropriate cartridge will work for you. Keep us posted as you do your shopping. There is a great group (of enablers) watching your moves. :grin:

Northwoods Hunter":35l85i80 said:
Question...are the "new" Marlins going to be the same quality after the Remington take over? :cry:

Be very careful buying a new Marlin. Had a buddy look for months before finding a new Guide Gun that would work. He was finding rifles with marred screws, feeding issues, and one had a missing front sight right out of the box. How do you ship a new rifle missing the front sight?

The Vanguard is a pretty good rifle they guarantee sub moa & they come in a wide range of calibers :) top it with a nice Leupy & you would be set!

Blessings,
Dan

Here's the one I have Tom. Don't really "need" it and it might fit the bill for you.

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

It is ported, but it's a "screw on" and you could take it off and have a threaded end put on if you didn't like it.

IMG_0518.jpg

Tom, A couple of good 308s come to mind. If its in the budget I'd say a Nosler 48 Professional(I am working on getting on in 30/06 as soon as the Badger sells).

Aside from that here are a few ideas. Although its not as sleek as a Model 7 the Stevens Model 200 is an underrated performer for the money weighing in at 6.5 lbs, it might not be all weather but a DIY Cerakote from Brownells can fix that. At 7 lbs I'd say go with a T/C Venture Weathershield. I have one in 270 and it shoots 1/2 MOA with handloads and at least 1 MOA with decent factory ammo. It comes with a match grade barrel with 5R Rifling and an adjustable trigger that is very user friendly. The Weathershield is more of a matte stainless vs the shiny stuff, looks great. Those are the new rifles that come to mind. Other than those for what you want to do with it if I were you I'd keep my eyes open for a M70 Winlight in 308. Thats the one that came with a Mcmillan stock on it. I know where one in 30/06 is sitting too.

Jimmy

Mike,

That M7 308 Win is just the ticket! Light, quick handeling and low recoil with plenty of power for the biggest of deer.

JD338

Back