Opinions wanted!

atmoshpere

Beginner
Jun 8, 2011
I have to send in two more dummy rounds to Pac Nor for the pre-fit they are building me, as they can't find the ones I sent in June :cry: . It is to be chambered in .284 win.

Any suggestions, considerations or things you learned the hard way by having a barrel throated to a specific bullet/coal?

My mag allowable length is right at 3" so I sent my previous rounds loaded with 160 accubonds at an overall length of 2.98" with instructions to have the lands just touching.

The rifle will be a dual purpose hunting/target gun. I won't shoot anything much longer than 160's, and may end up shooting alot of 140 class bullets for deer/antelope. My thinking was before that by having the rifle throated for the longest bullet I planned to shoot, seated at the longest that my mag would allow with reliable functioning that it would allow me to seat all other bullets as far out as possible thus maximizing my case capacity for any given bullet.

I figured since I have the opportunity to start over(trying to stay positive here :wink: ), I might as well solicit some opinions to help minimize the chance of me inadvertantly shooting myself in the foot out of ignorance.

Thanks guys,

atm

ATM- I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you have it throated for the 160's I would almost bet decent money you will get more than awesome accuracy out of 140's or even 120's. I think you are right on by pushing it out. Gives you more room for powder and also lets you seat the longer bullets out further. I couldn't agree more with your original train of thought of getting it made for the 160's. Chances are you will have a great shooting rifle with all decent bullets. Scotty

Thanks Scotty,

That's probably what I'll do again, just figured it never hurts to ask!

atm

I think you are on the right track.
That is exactly how I have my 280 AI set up and she shoots the 120 gr BT and 140 gr AB/BT excellent.

JD338

If the mag box is 3" you are allowing only 0.002" clearance. Think I would give them a little more than that. You may need a little more room for the bullets to feed from the mag box into the chamber.Rick.

rick smith":2jakhasu said:
If the mag box is 3" you are allowing only 0.002" clearance. Think I would give them a little more than that. You may need a little more room for the bullets to feed from the mag box into the chamber.Rick.

That is a great point Rick. I was actually talking about that with jmad and will be double checking that number. I remember running 3 dummy rounds through the mag to make sure, and it seems like the tip had much more than .002 clearnace.

atm

I made my 280 AI for the 160 AB and can still reach the lands.with the 140 easy. It works better shooting the 140 because they take up less case capacity.

Make sure you leave room for throat erosion as well. That way you can chase the lands for a while before you need to get your barrel set back. Not that you are going to see a lot of erosion with a 284, but lots of years of shootings can take a toll on any rifle.

Confirmed mag dimensions: 3.020" internal length. Seated my two replacement dummies at 2.970" and ran them through a few times and all looks good. With instructions to throat with these rounds "on" the lands, most of my hunting rounds with probably end up 20-70 thou shorter (off lands) than this, so I should have plenty of mag clearance while in the field. The only thing I can actually envision shooting on the lands would be target loads for steel if that is where the accuracy node is.

Thanks all for the advice, I'm feeling good about how everything is set up, in no short part because of all of the great help I've gotten from the forum community!

atm

Back