Optics for a 25-06?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Basically for big game. Maybe a target of opportunity predator.

What is your choice?

Mine has just you basic Leupy 3-9x40 on it, but I sure would love to put something with a few more Xs on it. Maybe a VX3 4-5-14 (non-LR). But then my .25-06 is a Remington Classic, and I kind like keeping it traditional looking. If I had something a little more utilitarian, I might put a fat scope on it... I'd love to be able to afford Nightforce, Zeiss, Swaro, or S&B on my rifles. Another option might be a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 for something more reasonably priced. That's what I think I'm gonna end up with on my .257 Weatherby, if I can stop buying new rifles long enough to be able to afford it.

Depending on the game, terrain and distances, it would be either a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 or 4.5x14x40mm.

JD338

I wound p with a Leupy 4x12x40mm AO VXII LR dots

Wish I could get that scope without AO. I'd probably have three or four of them. I have one of the AO models (standard duplex) on a .17 Remington, and I think it's a great scope for .22 CF sporters. Probably 6mms, too.

Great choice POP -

I have a VX-II 6X18 with LRVD on my .257Bee - Great scope, wish I had a couple more of them.

Lot of folks back home run a straight 6x on a 25-06. Simple and quick for a fleeing predator out on the flats. Honestly, Im thinkin of a 4x with a dot. Adequte for anything inside 300 yds and you cant beat a 2min dot and a fine cross hair for quick target aquisition. just a thought. CL

Funny, when I buy a .243, I'm slapping a Leupy 6x on it, but for a .25-06 I want a variable. What the heck is wrong with me? They aren't that different! :shock:

I put a 4x12x40mm on my 6mm Kool blue.

I have the 2.5x8 VX3 with the B&X reticle on mine right now. Seems like a good match. If and when I buy a scope for it, I am thinking of going to the 3.5x10 or 4.5x14 VX3. Thought I would stick with the 6X, but I kinda like the high end too. Scotty

I started with a 4.5-14x Leupold on my .25-06, as I had one available - but a few years ago I swapped to a fixed 6x Leupold (42mm obj) on that rifle and have never regretted the move. Excellent general purpose scope with superb clarity and low light performance. I've smacked mule deer out to 400 yards with it. Works great.

CL mentioned the Leupold Dot - which is a 1.9 MOA dot in the center of the reticle. A few years ago I picked up a used 6x (36mm obj) with this dot... It's terrific! So simple, but it works great. It found a home on my .30-06, and has been a terrific, relatively compact scope. That dot is doggone fast to use, it seems to just leap to my attention - faster than standard crosshairs for some reason. Very quick to use.

I'd put a Leupold 6x on that .25-06 anytime.

Guy

Man, I got to tell ya. I took that 2.5x8 VX3 off my 338WM and put it on the 25-06 and it seems really nice. I guess I like having the ability to turn it down low for up close shooting. I would think a 3.5x10 would be great too. I have a few of those and the one on my 270WSM is excellent. I guess it really depends on what and where you will be hunting with it too. I hunt in some thicker woods sometimes, so it is nice to turn down, while out in the open, 6X is about perfect. Scotty

I know most on this site perfer the Leopold scopes, I just think the Zeiss Conquest's are better glass for the money. We all know what they say about opinions..... I put a 3.5 X10 on my 25-06 with a German #4 reticle. For whatever reason, my eye gets me on the game animals quicker with that reticle (especially if it is moving fast). Don't get me wrong, I have leo's on three of my varmint rifles ( 30mm LR models) and two deer rifles, but I perfer Zeiss or Swaro's for big game hunting that require both fast acquisition and clarity in low light conditions. I have never used a Mark 4 scope on a rifle, so I can't comment on the quality of glass they have, but now we are talking the same kind of money that you pay for the next level of Zeiss or Swarovski optics which I will not likely ever buy.

257 Ackley":397h558x said:
I know most on this site perfer the Leopold scopes, I just think the Zeiss Conquest's are better glass for the money. We all know what they say about opinions..... I put a 3.5 X10 on my 25-06 with a German #4 reticle. For whatever reason, my eye gets me on the game animals quicker with that reticle (especially if it is moving fast). Don't get me wrong, I have leo's on three of my varmint rifles ( 30mm LR models) and two deer rifles, but I perfer Zeiss or Swaro's for big game hunting that require both fast acquisition and clarity in low light conditions.

Have to agree with you on this. I have had bad luck with Leupold, and I have not found the glass to be very good. I use both Zeiss and Swaro, and have never regretted it. I have given away 2 Leupolds... I realize that I have a pretty unpopular perspective, but it reflects my personal experience.
Hardpan

I use a fair amount of Zeiss glass (3 Diavaris and 5 Conquests) and other European glass (Kahles (2) and Swarovski (1)). I do like the European glass, though I can't honestly say that they so outshine Leupold that there is no comparison. I also have quite a few Leupold scopes (6 or 7). Most of my Leupold are VX3, though I do have one VX7. All of these scopes have given me faithful service over a long period of time. The only scopes I've ever needed to send back were Zeiss (Diavaris on two occasions). One was for what should be considered routine service after many years of reliable service; the power ring seemed somewhat stiff. Another was because the coating was flaking off on the inside ocular lens. The service in either instance was very good. Repairs were accomplished in good time and the scopes were returned in excellent condition. I've never had to send a Leupold in, but when I've arranged to do so for others, the service was superb. Leupold service is a major selling feature. The turn around is excellent. I think they must have people just waiting to grab any scope that comes in.

I agree about the customer service, They are awesome.

I hate to say it :twisted: but I don't think you can beat a nikon monarch 2.5-10x50. will work for just about anything. look around and you can find them for around $325-$350.

Back