Optimum barrel length for the various WSM's?

su35

Beginner
Sep 28, 2004
What are the optimum barrel lengths for the WSM's?

I've heard from some at Nosler that 23" is op for the 300 WSM. What about the other WSM's like the 270, 7mm and 325.

Also, how about the 338 WSM for barrel length, rumor has it you guys did do some work on this one. Why this one wasnt released only you know and I'm not holding my breath that you will tell.

Thanks!

What are the optimum barrel lengths for the WSM's?

I've heard from some at Nosler that 23" is op for the 300 WSM. What about the other WSM's like the 270, 7mm and 325.

Also, how about the 338 WSM for barrel length, rumor has it you guys did do some work on this one. Why this one wasnt released only you know and I'm not holding my breath that you will tell.
Well, I certainly am not an expert on the short mags, (nor anything else, for that matter), but I would hazard a guess that the smaller the bore, the more you will gain ballistically with addtional barrel length. Conversely, the bigger the hole in the barrel, the less velocity you lose, all else being equal. I guess the 300WSM might be fine with a 23" barrel, and maybe the .325 could even be reasonably efficient with a barrel as short as 22" or even 21". But clearly if you are after maximum velocity, then longer beats shorter, but as the expansion ratio increases, your velocity gains will decrease. (In other words, the .270WSM will show more of a gain going from a 24" barrel to a 28" barrel than a .325WSM will) I think 24" is just about ideal with a short action. I really didn't care for the 20" barrel carbines I have owned in the past.

This can be a heated discussion. The test barrels we use in the lab for the 300 WSM are 26" 1-10", 4 groove barrels.

We also used 24" 1-10", 4 groove barrels for the 270 WSM

Our custom rifle is on a 24" Wiseman barrel.

There was an article by someone, can't remember off the top of my head that stated a 22-24" barrel was optimal.

But our own experience in the field is on 24"

Back