Our Latest. The most Versatile Revolver?

Fascinating. I have often wished I had a couple of 38s or 357s in revolvers. Never happened, but I still wished.

I have a handful of .357’s and one .38. I like the versatility of the .357 where it can be loaded from mild to wild but still be plenty potent and very shootable At the same time. I’ve toyed with the idea of have a cylinder machined to accept moon clips and the chambers recut on one so they would shoot 9mm, but I’m a bit nervous on the idea where if it gets screwed up I may be up a creek. But to be able to shoot 3 cartridges out of the same gun without doing any cylinder swapping is pretty tempting.

Over the past few years I've accumulated five 357 revolvers, lol.

A Taurus I forget the model of (actually bought that one for my Dad as a bedside gun)

A Ruger 3 inch SP101

A S&W model 60...my wife's carry gun, and the finest revolver I've ever owned, in my opinion.

A 686 Performance Center... range toy mostly.

A 686 4 inch...wife's bedside gun.

Own and have carried both .357s and .44s, both in the field and on the street. +P 38 specials are great for almost any task, and I use them extensively. Some might consider the .44 overkill for social service, but I don't. Add in rifles, and you can do almost anything in almost any situation. Range is really the limiting factor, but for where I live, 150 yards is sufficient.

While I have shot 38/357's and 44's, I too chose the 41 Rem Mag.
Happy with it.
Plenty of power and better penetration than the 44 with 240 gr bullets (higher SD). Makes good sense for our larger game here.
Also have a Marlin lever action chambered to this cartridge, which I can use legally to hunt with, as we are restricted from hunting with handguns here north of the border.

If I were to have gone with a 38/357...I believe that the stainless Ruger GP100 with a 4.2" barrel (legal minimum barrel length here) would have gotten the nod. Nice handling/shooting revolvers!
Alas, our rules have changed, and we can no longer acquire new handguns:cry:

While I have shot 38/357's and 44's, I too chose the 41 Rem Mag.
Happy with it.
Plenty of power and better penetration than the 44 with 240 gr bullets (higher SD). Makes good sense for our larger game here.
Also have a Marlin lever action chambered to this cartridge, which I can use legally to hunt with, as we are restricted from hunting with handguns here north of the border.

If I were to have gone with a 38/357...I believe that the stainless Ruger GP100 with a 4.2" barrel (legal minimum barrel length here) would have gotten the nod. Nice handling/shooting revolvers!
Alas, our rules have changed, and we can no longer acquire new handguns:cry:
I seriously dislike your new handgun rules for I fear in the future we will make the same mistake.

Love the 357 Magnum!
For me, the 357 Mag is the most versatile chambering for a revolver.
For hunting, I have taken pd's, coyote, antelope (buck and doe), whitetail (buck and doe), springbok, warthogs, wildebeest, javelina, and blackbuck, with my longest kill at 189 yards. 158's work!
Most kills have been in the 50-130 yard range.
Just for giggles, I had a purpose built revolver to see how well I could group a customized 357 Magnum revolver (Ruger GP-100 with a factory cylinder) at 500 yards. Spent less than a half a day with load development and shooting, and then popped out to 500 yards (in terrible mirage).
If I had been more intentional, I would have got all of the set-up done, then picked time-frame early in the morning or late in the day when conditions were about perfect.
But like I said, we were goofing around, and had other things to do...

Thanks for the video Guy. Like you I have had a long history with the 38/357mag for work and target shooting before the Jam-o-matics came into style for police work. Not talking about the good old 1911 but it still could let you down at the wrong time, Automatics have come a long way, but I still prefer the revolver for self and home protect a little Colt Detective .32 New Police as a backup to a good 12ga short barrel pump gun. The .32 rides in an ankle holster or just in a pocket since it is so small it will hide in your hand.
I have more autos than revolvers, but they are all precision target guns except one GI Colt DCM 1911.
I only have three revolvers in the stable and one is a new in the box 6" S&W 19 357mag. bought for competition revolver matches but never shot since I have one other that will work for that, a model 14 S&W.

Back