Outstanding Range Results!

For $150, QL is one of the finest investments the serious hand loader can make, short of stocking up on Nosler bullets. :grin:

DrMike":2e8h94bs said:
For $150, QL is one of the finest investments the serious hand loader can make, short of stocking up on Nosler bullets. :grin:

That is my problem Mike, I can't stop buying Nosler's long enough to get QL! Scotty

joed49":2us5q9ux said:
I've been looking to try the IMR8208 myself. I'm not quite satisfied with Varget accuracy so have been looking for something else. Another that I want to try is IMR 4007ssc.

Have heard others did well with 4320 but not sure if I want to try that one.

You might want to reconsider that one! Just punch in IMR 4320 reveiws on any search engine and you'll find plenty of people saying it is the best powder made for 22-250. My test results seem to support that theory!

Ok, that many sub inch groups in a session is just wrong.....errr, well just too much to take. I havent shot that many "cloverleafs" in my life! Seriously though, thats what Im always hoping for. Nice work! Congrats. CL

cloverleaf":pp3tipzh said:
Ok, that many sub inch groups in a session is just wrong.....errr, well just too much to take. I havent shot that many "cloverleafs" in my life! Seriously though, thats what Im always hoping for. Nice work! Congrats. CL

Yeah I still can't figure out what happened. All the groups are in the same place relative to where I aimed. That means that whatever powder I can cram in the case will put the bullet in the same spot at 100yards! Pretty cool huh? I've never seen a gun that would eat any old powder you could feed it. Makes me what to use every powder in my cabinet to see what happens.

I loaded up another string using IMR 4320 last night. I'll have to let you guys know how I do. It's pouring here now!

Ok here is the update. I used only IMR 4320 as it worked outstanding last time. At 37gr of 4320 I had outstanding group and an extreme spread of only 7fps! My velocity with this load is only 3650fps. at 37.5gr of 4320 the group really opened up. At 38gr of 4320 accuracy was really good ( I believe this to be the accuracy node). Here is the deal the extreme spread with this load is 100fps and it showed very slight signs of pressure. I'm talking very slight cratered primers. They still extracted fine and showed no other signs. Also the speed was only about 3760fps. My question is what should I do? Should I drop back to 37gr with a great group and SD but only 3650fps, or shoot 38gr with great group and ok SD near max at 3760fps. Or do I try IMR 8208 XBR to try and get better velocity?

What should I do???? :? :? :?

I would drop back to your accurate load and put it away with a "known good" stamp. Then move on to 8208 if you want more speed, but at least you have a workable load now, and can tinker as you have time. Scotty

I can't see the cartridges, so I can only speculate. Slight cratering is not truly indicative of much. If there is no brass flow on the head or no brass deposits on the bolt face, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the one sign observed in isolation from other signs. How many rounds did you fire? Before I drew too many conclusions about standard deviations, I would want to see a ten-shot series, or better yet, an average of a series of three three-shot groups--three five-shot groups is better still as it yields a better confidence level.

On the other hand, what are you intending to do with this load? One hundred fps at the velocities you are generating won't make a great deal of difference to predators at reasonable ranges. If you have IMR 8208 XBR, it doesn't hurt to make up a series of loads and test them, but I'd remain focused on what is working for the moment.

There's my $0.02 in US coinage.

beretzs":pi35c3e7 said:
I would drop back to your accurate load and put it away with a "known good" stamp. Then move on to 8208 if you want more speed, but at least you have a workable load now, and can tinker as you have time. Scotty

Scotty, that is what I was thinking.

DrMike":2qthf6dd said:
I can't see the cartridges, so I can only speculate. Slight cratering is not truly indicative of much. If there is no brass flow on the head or no brass deposits on the bolt face, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the one sign observed in isolation from other signs. How many rounds did you fire? Before I drew too many conclusions about standard deviations, I would want to see a ten-shot series, or better yet, an average of a series of three three-shot groups--three five-shot groups is better still as it yields a better confidence level.

On the other hand, what are you intending to do with this load? One hundred fps at the velocities you are generating won't make a great deal of difference to predators at reasonable ranges. If you have IMR 8208 XBR, it doesn't hurt to make up a series of loads and test them, but I'd remain focused on what is working for the moment.

There's my $0.02 in US coinage.

Mike, I have put together this rifle for one purpose and that is to shoot varmints. I also wanted a rifle that would shoot bugholes all day long. So far so good. The faster velocity part is for bragging I guess, hey at least I'm honest! I know that it wouldn't make much difference to a groundhog if my bullet was going 3650fps or faster, but I like speed.

I only fired three rounds with the 38gr charge. There was no signs of case head sep or shinny spot where it flowed into the extracter. These three cases extracted just as easy as the previous loads. The only thing is the primers were cratered. I have heard that you should work up your load until the group opens up, then work up till it shrinks again. In theory this is the best accuracy node. I'm new to this very anal kind of reloading, so I thought I better ask. :wink:

I think i may load up at least twenty rounds with the 38gr charge and shoot for a standard deviation, while checking the pressure signs. But it is only a 100fps gain so I may just stick with the 37gr charge and call it good, as the group was three in almost the same hole. Your thoughts?

I would check them both. I would imagine that would give you a better idea of both loads consistency. Scotty

most of your groups appear to be the group within a group syndrone, its shooting well but group within the group indicates tht the rifle wants the seating depth tweaked, are you shooting close to the lands? not taking anything away from those groups but just givin ya an idea that may improve them even more.
RR

Just one observation, you won't always find groups opening up before excessive pressure occurs. I would echo RRs suggestion to play with seating depth to achieve full accuracy potential.

Well, I just loaded up twenty rounds charged with 38gr of IMR 4320. I'm going to shoot these for accuracy through the chrono to get a better idea of the standard deviation. If it shows that the SD is ok I'm going to play with seating depth to achieve the best load. If not I'll go back to 37gr and play with seating depth. Wish me luck!

Well I shot a 20 round string with 37gr of IMR 4320 and started a string with 38gr, but I had pressure signs so I quit. I dont have a pic of the target but you could cover the 20 round group with a nickel. I'd say that is pretty good.

I forgot how to turn the standard deviation given on your chrono into a percentage. Can anyone help with that? I know DrMike does!

Next I'm gonna play with seating depth to try and shrink the groups even more.

Well I finally have my load! I tried different seating depths and found that my gun likes a little jump to the lands. The completed load is:
22-250
52gr. Sierra HPBT
WIN Brass
CCI 200 primer
37gr IMR 4320
OAL 3.050"

With this load I put twenty rounds into a nickel at 100 yards, with proper cooling between shots. I would like more speed just for bragging rights, but doubt a chuck will complain that 3780fps is too slow!

Thanks guys for all your help and knowledge.

At 3760 fps that's not too slow for the accuracy you're getting. Great progress and results.
Greg

Back