pet load?

Canuck

Beginner
Nov 26, 2006
1 3/8 inches (5 shots), 5/8 inch (first 4 shots) at 200 yards.
Shot from a Sako 85 varmint laminated stainless with VX3 target 6.5X20/50mm.
Out of four 5 shot groups, this was the smallest and the largest was 1 3/4 inches.

Attachments

• range.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,517
I think you ought to try and shoot better than that at 20yds!!!! :mrgreen: Oh! WOW!!! :shock: Now we are talking, that was at 200yds. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hey man, that is truly a pet load indeed. :grin:

Took me almost a year of bullets and powders and ocl and primers etc... I'm not trying to show off here but rather, I'm trying to show never to give up and get discouraged. After a while, I wanted to sell my rig but decided to keep at it and finally got on the right track.

Canuck":seod331h said:
Took me almost a year of bullets and powders and ocl and primers etc... I'm not trying to show off here but rather, I'm trying to show never to give up and get discouraged. After a while, I wanted to sell my rig but decided to keep at it and finally got on the right track.

Man I do understand, yes, never give up, and it does take work. That make this all the better, congrats man, that is cool. :grin:

Good shooting! I'm guessing but 168 SMK with the powder charge stated, 308 Winchester in the neighborhood of 2700 fps? I would bet you were pretty tense on that 5th shot seeing the string you had going.

Nice work! I only have one gun that I gave up on that I wished I hadn't.

I don't miss my wifes 7-08 Rem 700 one bit!

That is an impressive group for sure!

Nice shooting, and I applaude your load development and tenacity. Take note of the distance from the lands as seen on the target. A match bullet at .050" off. A prime example of why not to get stuck on "closer is better."

RL-15 is also a favorite of mine in the 308, but I have only loaded for two rifles chambered for such. Again, very nice job!

Thanks man, yep, 308 win but sierra says 2600 fps for the charge I'm using. Dude, I was more tense on the 5th shot than when I passed my kidney stone... :lol:

NoelW":2rz2p8ss said:
Good shooting! I'm guessing but 168 SMK with the powder charge stated, 308 Winchester in the neighborhood of 2700 fps? I would bet you were pretty tense on that 5th shot seeing the string you had going.

That was my problem. I was trying to put my bullets as close as possible all the time. I guess some bullets or rifles, work best with a little jump.

Mountain Goat":36cyvlfq said:
Nice shooting, and I applaude your load development and tenacity. Take note of the distance from the lands as seen on the target. A match bullet at .050" off. A prime example of why not to get stuck on "closer is better."

RL-15 is also a favorite of mine in the 308, but I have only loaded for two rifles chambered for such. Again, very nice job!

Canuck":2q6yaexc said:
That was my problem. I was trying to put my bullets as close as possible all the time. I guess some bullets or rifles, work best with a little jump.

Mountain Goat":2q6yaexc said:

believe it or not most bullets especially hunting bullets do prefer a little jump :mrgreen:

VERY NICE SHOOTING!

I've gotta get me a Sako... those things just freakin' shoot. I love it.

Canuck,

Great job on the loads and some fine shooting. It is perfectly all right to brag a little when there is something to brag about. We're all shooters around here, and we understand the pride of craft that inhabits the heart of the serious handloader.

Thanks Doc, I do take alot of pride in my handloading. I'm soooo "anal" with every step in the process and spend so much time, like 4 or 5 days to load 50 rounds, it pisses me off when I get to the range and they don't shoot for crap. Thanks guys for the kind words.

DrMike":7mz840c6 said:
Canuck,

Great job on the loads and some fine shooting. It is perfectly all right to brag a little when there is something to brag about. We're all shooters around here, and we understand the pride of craft that inhabits the heart of the serious handloader.

Canuck":chpajrnz said:
Thanks man, yep, 308 win but sierra says 2600 fps for the charge I'm using. Dude, I was more tense on the 5th shot than when I passed my kidney stone... :lol:

:lol: Been in that spot a few times and blown the shot more than making it.

Great shooting, and I appreciate the picture. I know exaclty what you mean about the 5th shot, I tense up like a statue especially when the first three or four are in there. !! That load should work for a long time.

Woodycreek":22oyjwce said:
Canuck":22oyjwce said:

:lol: Been in that spot a few times and blown the shot more than making it.

I think this was one? 300WSM........ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

DSC_2903.jpg

Makes you feel even better when you know you pulled the shot before the recoil hits you. Such a lovely feeling of dissappointment.

Back