Peterson Cartridge brass

Wis65x55

Handloader
Jul 31, 2011
I recently picked up a case of 250 300WM long brass. Did i get good quality bras? What does "long" indicate?. Upon initial review, the brass weighs about 2.5gr more than Nosler 300WM brass.

Long brass refers to the brass headspacing off the should versus the belt. Meaning less case stretch on first firing.

It's good brass made in USA. Had some for 6 BR Norma. Neck was thicker than Norma brass I used. You might want to start a little lower than your established load using the other brass. Dan.

You're fine. It's long for the reason RL 338 stated.

Do some reading on reloading for the 300 WM. It has a belt obviously to headspace off of, but doesn't really need it. Only has the belt because it was carried over from the H & H cartridge it came from, that needed the belt because of it's low angled shoulder. You can set your dies for minimal shoulder set back just like a standard case that headspaces off the shoulder.

Thanks to everyone for your input. One additional question, I know that life expectancy is generally better with neck sized brass. which method generally produces the best accuracy?

I only neck size until my brass gets fully expanded , 2 or 3 cycles . then I full length size by adjusting my die to bump the shoulder about .002" . if you neck size only , you will reach a point where the brass gets very tight to chamber . BR shooters have got away from neck sizing only , they size brass with the .002" shoulder bump .

Great brass I have three different lot numbers in 6.5 creedmoor SRP. 2 of those lot numbers have been reloaded over 20 times each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have just gotten my feet wet with my .280 Rem brass from them, and so far am greatly impressed. Brass appears to be of high quality. Weighed a sample, and consistency is better than my Nosler/Norma. Annealing "feels" spot on in sizing.

Fired the best groups ever in this rifle with it. We'll see how it holds up over repeated firings, but so far it's a winner.

Considering the Peterson long brass is substantially heavier than the Nosler counterpart, how much should i reduce starting charge?

Wis65x55":2kxykf17 said:
Considering the Peterson long brass is substantially heavier than the Nosler counterpart, how much should i reduce starting charge?

if you're starting at min charge , I'd say you would be ok .

2.5 grs difference on a case the size of the 300 WM isn’t that much. As with any component change you should start over low and work back up. Internal volume is what I’m most concerned with.

Back