Picked up a new .30 Cal yesterday!

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
I almost passed on the opportunity to buy this rifle. Thought of selling another rifle I had just bought to buy this one. However I looked through the safe and saw a few things I was willing to part with.

I've wanted this particular rifle for several years now, finally found a deal. Got this sweet little hunting rifle with a set of dies, Leupold M8 4X scope, and about 100 pieces of brass at a real bargain price. The price was less than the opening bid on most of these rifles on gunbroker.com.

I was surprised at the rifle when I got it. I sure didn't expect such a nice piece of walnut on it. The only problems that I have with it are the plastic thumb button on the safety and one flip up scope cap didn't survive the trip from Kodiak Alaska to Colorado Springs. Other than that this little rifle is in great shape and I might have to pick up some ammo to run through it this weekend.

P1000164.jpg

P1000165.jpg

P1000166.jpg

P1000167.jpg

P1000172.jpg

Best thing about this rifle is that it is a .30-30!
P1000177.jpg

Can't wait to run some pointy bullets through it! Thinking I'll have to get some 125 grain BT bullets to try asap. Just wish the magazine was a little longer going to be tough to stuff a 150 spitzer in there. Sorry for the dark pictures I'll try to get some daylight pictures taken soon

Nice find, congratulations! Sure is a beautiful stock.
The 788 is a nice rifle, fast lock time and usually very accurate. The 125 gr BT may be all the bullet you need for deer. Don't forget the 170 gr PT for the big stuff.

JD338

Congrats on a fine rifle. My first new rifle was a Rem 788. Accurate as can be and tough as nails.
I've kind of been looking for one in .308 or .243 Win. but so has everyone else. I believe you'll be very happy with it.
Greg

I would love to have a 788 in 6mm Rem and 44 Rem Mag.

JD338

JD338":1xy1a4pl said:
I would love to have a 788 in 6mm Rem and 44 Rem Mag.

JD338

Don't know too may rifle loonies that wouldn't love those two as well.

WOW, Didn't see that one coming :shock: a bolt 30-30, I have never seen one before. Nice score!

Congrats on a fine rifle. I have had a few and all shot great!

jmad_81":2z1avhb9 said:
WOW, Didn't see that one coming :shock: a bolt 30-30, I have never seen one before. Nice score!

I've been looking for one of these for years. I have had a few levers in .30-30 but I've always wanted to see what it could do in a bolt action. Winchester 54 rifles have been pretty much out of my price range and so has the Rem 788, I've looked at several Savage 340's but never liked them much. I picked up this rifle for right at $500 shipped from Kodiak AK, with RCBS Cowboy dies, Leupold scope, and nearly 100 pieces of once fired brass.

I had to part with a few things to get this rifle as I had just bought a couple of other rifles (T/C Venture .270 & M96 6.5x55 sporter) when this one came available and my discretionary funds were a little low. Wound up getting rid of a H&R .30-30, a few Mauser actions, and a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope to swing this one. Happy to do it though.

is this the one that was on the 24 hr campfire if so you got a great deal that thing is CLEAN

nitis":v97v0pmg said:
is this the one that was on the 24 hr campfire if so you got a great deal that thing is CLEAN

No, it was off of AR forums. I was hoping it was a little more beat up. Most of the .30-30's start around $500 regardless of condition on GB. I was wanting to build a .30-30 AI on a bolt aciton and thought this might be a good donor. However it is in much better shape than expected, so I'll be keeping this one as it is.

My first rifle was also a 788 in 222. Super accurate little thing ... be great in 30-30.

Nice find!

Regards,
Dicko.

You should be able to get those 125 BT going around 2600 to 2700 fps and they will hammer deer. Great looking rifle and GREAT find.

Back