Planning a Brown Bear Hunt

I have a inland grizzly/dall sheep hunt booked for August of 2005. I'm either planning on taking a 8mm-06 improved with 200 grain accubonds or my 358 STA.

I would have to go with the 358 STA on that one. You can't have too much gun when going after the big bears. The 30.06/8mm 200-220gr loads are marginal for the big bears, it has been done lots of times I'm sure but I would want more bullet.

Yes, I've been leaning towards the 358 STA, shooting 250 grain bullets 3000 fps just makes you feel a little more comfortable than a 200 at 2900 fps, not to mention the more frontal area you get from a 35 caliber. Actually both rifles are almost identical, both 98 mausers, both have 26 in barrels and similar synthetic stocks. The only thing my 8mm has going for it is that is is my sentimental favorite rifle.

I'm sure you could probably get away with using your 8mm/06 the 300 win is used quite often on them and isn't any more powerful than 200gr @ 2900fps but the little extra of the 358 sure can't hurt. I have a buddy that uses a Weatherby 338-378 with 250gr Partitions @ 3100fps and has had no problems with that load. I'm not a bear hunter but I would want the biggest caliber I could accurately shoot. I use a 35 whelen for my general big game rifle and have a soft spot for the 35 caliber rifles. I mght suggest you take a little lighter rifle for your dall hunt. I sure wouldn't want to drag along a 26" barreled heavy bolt gun up into the mountains after sheep. Something light would be a lot easier on you. If your rifle is blued you might want to get it coated with some kind of protective finish, a week worth of rain WILL rust any blued rifle quite badly. Today is the first day without rain that we have had in over a week. I've been out in this kind of weather before and it simply never gets dry. Good luck on your hunt.

Thats cool that you have a 35 Whelen, my dad has used one since 1987 and just loves his, it was probably the reason I had my 358 STA made. Carrying a 26 in barreled rifle really isn't hard to do, I do run marathons and have hunted Mt. Goat in Northern B.C. with my 8mm, which is the same weight as my STA, about 8 1/2 pounds but the weight of my rifle is not really a concern, this is at least my observation after spending two months there. My buddy who guides in B.C. has shot his last 2 or 3 grizzly with his 6.5-06. Not that I think the 6.5-06 is good for grizzly I would much rather have my STA or 8mm. Both shoot very accuratly, both wear synthetic stocks, but my 8mm is teflon coated with a stainless barrel, where my STA is just standard blued with a crome-moly barrel. My 8mm has a 2.5-8 leupold, where my STA has a 4-12 leupold. I hate having to make decisions like this... I guess that is a good thing.

Depending on where you are going it might be better to take the 8mm if it is already teflon coated and stainless. Alaskan fall weather is really hell on a blued rifle. I really like the whelen, plenty of power with mild recoil. Kind of like a my chevy truck, not to flashy but will get any job done that I want it to. I got one of the Ruger 77 special runs when they came out a few years ago. It is a pretty good shooter and after just one trip to ruger to iron a few things out it has been absolutely reliable. I worked up a couple of loads for it that I can use the same zero with. A load with 250gr RN and another with a 225gr Spitzer. The 250s print dead on and the 225s 3" high at 100. This puts my zero with the 225s out at 235 yards and a fur on hold out to 300 yards on carabou. That 358 STA sounds like a real powerhouse. Good luck to you.

All this griz hunting talk got me motivated to do something about it. A buddy of mine and me are going to head out this weekend for a bear hunt. My buddy has a 338-378 that he is looking to use on a brownie. I'm talking my 35 whelen. I've been sorely tempted to get a 375 H&H here lately for big and mean stuff but haven't found the right rifle yet. According to the Fish & Game guys there are too many bears in our area, something like 90% of moose calves are killed each spring by them. I'll post some pics if we are successful.

A while back I had a Rem 7600 35 Whelen. It sure liked the Federal Premium 225 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw factory load. It was a devastating penetrator. I hunted bear with it, but never saw a shooter. I did however shoot a blacktail with it. The animal (125lb est.) was standing facing me at a slight angle. The bullet went low through its front shoulder and bones, pulverized all its internal organs and exited through its opposite back hip bone. If I ever pick up another Whelen (check that). When I pick up another one, I will handload the TBBC and the N Partition. The one my gun shoots best will be my all purpose load. I'll be confident that it will be adequate to handle anything in this hemisphere.

Good luck with your hunt and let us know how it goes.

Paul

I hunted fall 1995(October) and spring 1996(May). I used a 358sta
pushing 250 grain jensen j26 bullet @ 3000 fps. My guide used a 375 H&H. All the guides used big calibers, no 300 win mags etc.
I shot my boar 3 times, the last shot breaking his back. Dick Lounsbury was the outfitter at stepovak bay, would use him again if I were going.
Small calibers are OK if you have the ideal shot, fact is you rarely get
ideal shots. The guide will start wailing(shooting) the moment you pull the
trigger if you don't break his shoulders and anchor him. Good Luck on your hunt.

Back