2024 hunting plans

After spring gobbler I have my sights set on coyote hunting with night vision and e-caller. I entered the Va Elk lottery hunt. Then I guess its hogs and coyote in Alabama, then back to WV and VA for archery, rifle and muzzleloader deer and bear. I want to KY to squeeze in some rabbit, grouse and pheasant with my brother. I got my grandson a nice little O/U 28 gauge, and want to let him get in some small game.

I’ll be doing point savers in Oregon this year for deer and elk. Some family stuff came up that is going to keep we out of those hunts, first Ive missed in hunting deer and or elk in 56 years. I’ll probably get a little chukar hunting in. Wont make Montana this year either. I am going to Colorado for elk and Alberta for moose.

Have applied in Utah for deer and elk and sheep for me and my girls but I don’t expect any luck so will plan to hunt a spike or cow elk otc archery. I made some ground elk into sloppy Joe at the fire station yesterday and two guys said it was the best sloppy joe they ever had.
I think we will sit on our points in Wyoming and let populations rebuild for deer and antelope. So just buy points there for awhile.
Will put in for Nevada this week I think but not much to look forward there .
I have a pheasant and chukar trip planned in Idaho in November and maybe another little trip for birds out of state but otherwise saving money for Africa in 2025

What about you Jim?

I'm applying for the PA elk hunt , in two seasons . I have about 20 points for the elk hunt that happens around the beginning of November . I have about 6 points for the late season elk hunt .this hunt happens around the beginning of January .

I'm doing a moose hunt in Newfoundland . this one has been a long time coming . I'm trying to remember the correct dates on this . three of us booked this hunt around 2016 . the outfitter was booked out a couple of years . the year we were going to go is when everything was shut down due to covid , 2020 . Canada would not allow entry without the vax , none of us got it , or wanted it . then Canada started to allow entry without the vax , but you needed to stay by the border for something like a week , while being monitored ,a very expensive ordeal . we decided to loose our deposits , and canceled the hunt . I think it was around Thanksgiving , or Christmas , the outfitter called , and wanted to work things out with our group . so it looks like this hunt will happen September 2024 , and the ferry is booked . I could be off on the dates, but they are close .

I'll be hunting deer and turkey here at home , on the lease I belong to . I'm looking forward to trapping again this year . this will also be on the lease . I'm also going to try to get access to a piece of posted ground by my house to trap, after they are done hunting it .

I NEVER thought I'd say this ; I think I'm starting to burn out on all the hunting 🤷‍♂️. I dropped out of the group that I hunt Kansas with . they said any time I want back in to just say , and I'm in . I also quit the North Carolina hunt . I've probably done that hunt for 20 years . I'd like to find a youth that needs a mentor , and get them started . I would really enjoy that.

I'm with you a bit on the mentoring thing Jim. I think I have more fun taking my kids and their friends as I do hunting with my hunting buddies anymore. Eventually maybe all this point buying will pay off but honestly I'd rather my kids have a chance at a really big bull or buck. My kids have friends that are into hunting but their parents either don't hunt or rarely hunt and I think it will be my mission for the next several years to get them out in the woods. One pair of brothers has their grandma take them turkey hunting and they duck hunt some with friends. Their parents are not into it at all. I'd love to get those two a couple cow elk or a deer this year and possibly a bull if they can draw a good tag.

The moose hunt sounds fun. They are a fun animal to hunt. I've killed a cow and bull here in ID and a bull in AK. I'm trying to figure out my next plan to go again in AK, hopefully before my kids get big enough to go I can sneak another hunt in. They shoot some really big bulls in PA. I've seen pictures of several 400+" bulls. That would be a good tag to draw.

Calif-Ducks with son-in law, blacktail deer with a friend and my daughter and son-in-law, Ground squirrels (if I can find a place).
Texas maybe Aoudad Myself only
Wisconsin-whitetail deer, red stag and maybe Blackbuck and Buff(Bison) with my daughter and son-in-law.
All depends on what happens with my cancer.

Calif-Ducks with son-in law, blacktail deer with a friend and my daughter and son-in-law, Ground squirrels (if I can find a place).
Texas maybe Aoudad Myself only
Wisconsin-whitetail deer, red stag and maybe Blackbuck and Buff(Bison) with my daughter and son-in-law.
All depends on what happens with my cancer.
Cancer sucks. I hope you kick it’s ass!

Congratulations Dan. Wishing you a successful hunt this fall. Hopefully we will see you on your way to Montana.

JD338

Congratulations Dan. Wishing you a successful hunt this fall. Hopefully we will see you on your way to Montana.

JD338
Jim, Thanks for the invite. It is possibility. However, Caleb is a working man and doesn't get paid for the days he doesn't work. So, it will be largely up to him as to whether or not he is willing to take the time.

Dan

So, when in MT you might as well drive on up north, Dan! (y)
Boy, Mike, would that I could. If I was traveling alone, I would be tempted to do so. I would probably have trouble getting across the border with a couple of rifles. :(
Dan

Back