Portable shooting bench

zacii

Beginner
Mar 5, 2015
One of the reasons that I don't reload more, is because of my difficulty in load development.

I need an inexpensive, portable shooting platform.

What do you guys use?

Sent from the edge of my galaxy

Bags on a concrete bench at the rifle range for the best support I use:

But typically, just a shooting mat & rifle sling:

Guy

I use a concrete bench at the gun club, a 4x4 post bench at deer camp, or just use a Caldwell Rock Jr. front rest and prone on public land. I hadn't done much prone shooting till last year and was surprised to find it almost as good if not better than shooting from a bench in some respects. Prone was certainly not as comfortable with my neck issues, but almost the same stability as shooting from a bench. Used a saddle blanket or blue camping pad ($6 at Walmart)to lay on. Definitely stable enough to do load development with.

...not very portable, but I used to have one set up on skids that slid into the bed of a pick-up...

At the gun club, we have both wooden and concrete benches as well as mother earth.
DanielleRange257Roberts090410.jpg

IMG_06771.jpg

DSCN00621_zps12173a1c.jpg

At the farm for 600 yd and 800 yd gongs, we have a portable? steel bench that weighs about 150 lbs.
IMG_06701.jpg

Sue%20600%20yd%20Shooting.jpg

For crop damage hunting, its the hood or tail gate of the truck with a BullsBag System 7 shooting bag.
IMG_20130713_203528_400.jpg

There was one made to be used with a Black & Decker Jaw horse I saw some where on the internet. it was a 4X4X3/4" sheet of plywood cut in the shape of a shooting bench with cross pieces that the jaw horse clamped to or bolted to I'm not sure which it was.

Scott - I started to make one of those years ago! Same plans. Got sidetracked and forgot about it. Was doing it to have a portable bench I could haul around in my pickup. For varmint shooting!

I think I've still got the hardware stashed in a cupboard out in the garage...

Thanks for the reminder! Heck, I think I put that stuff away 5 or 6 years ago! Dang!

Guy

here is one I built a few years ago . if this intrests you let me know I have a bunch of pics I can put up .

I also built a stool .

Sportsmans warehouse has one that folds up that you can buy. Don't know the name, or cost though.

I just looked at the Larry Willis one from the link above . it's just about what I built , or is what I built . I used angle wood blocks to get the angle on the legs . these wood blocks I couldn't make , I had a guy make them for me . I didn't think of using pipe couplers cut at an angle , these I could have made . I have more metal working tools than wood working tools .

I have a Varmint Master that swivels 360 degrees.

Attachments

• ElementPaulVarmintMasterDSCF0008s.jpg
    ElementPaulVarmintMasterDSCF0008s.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 2,978
Welcome aboard, Clarkma. Glad to have you posting. Hey, a little elevation can be a real advantage!

Clarkma":3az52erg said:
I have a Varmint Master that swivels 360 degrees.

That is awesome. Is it mounted atop of the rig or does it just look like it is.

Portable...........Not so affordable; but a great way for several people to shoot sage rats.

muleman":1x75ah1i said:

Portable...........Not so affordable; but a great way for several people to shoot sage rats.

Wow. That is quite the portable multi shooter shooting bench. Bet it's a hoot to shoot rats from.

Here is a pic of one I built for the club. Not exactly the kind of "portable" you were thinking of I'm guessing, but I did build it so that I could haul it from my home to the range in the trunk of my 1986 caprice, open of course. :grin:

One of the coolest things I 've seen was a guy who built a table that fit in a receiver hitch on the back of his mini-van. With the hatch up, he could sit on the floor of the van, feet out the back, and shoot over the table mounted to an L shaped bracket that fit in his receiver hitch. Definitely one way to keep your "man card" and still drive a Mini van (y) CL

This kind of an idea, but cooler, and probably cheaper.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Game_D ... _table.htm

Back