Possible trade- opinion please

YoteSmoker

Handloader
Oct 3, 2006
I have advertised my M7400 280 Rem in the classifieds here. Ethically, nobody on this site has made any cash or trade offers, but I do have a trade offer on another forum right now.

Somebody has offered to trade even up for a like new but used 45-70 Marlin 1895 guide gun. Rifle has been shot 60 times with 60 pcs of brass.

I really don't "need" more guns right now, but I don't have anything larger than 30 cal, unless you count the muzzleloader of rifled shotgun with almost the same reach as the 45-70...so I'm not sure I "need" this.

Do you think I could sell a used but nice guide gun for $375? Would you trade and just keep it? Should I not make the trade? Opinions please!

Trade, you'll be glad you did. There's nothing like shooting the big bore Marlins.

Yote,

Don't under estimate the mighty 45-70. Load it from mild to wild.
The Marlin 1895 Guide gun is most impressive. Absolute joy to carry, quick to point and the accuracy is amazing!
IF you ever decided to sell off the Guide gun, you will make money on it!
Check them out at http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php

I don't think you will go wrong getting the Marlin.

JD338

Thanks fellas! You guys are fast. It sounds like I better strike while the iron's hot and maybe order up some dies and bullets :) The reason for ridding myself of the semi-rifle is three fold: 1. My girlfriend and I both like the shorter, handier, and lighter Encore in 7mm08 which nearly duplicates the 280. 2. I feel confident (impressed actually) in her shooting abilities even with a single shot....and 3. The BIGGY - she told me she likes my Encore more (it's hot!) and I could relinquish the Remington.

Yote

You will like the Marlin 1895 Guide 45-70
1895GuideGun45-70.jpg

45-70300grRemJHP669.jpg

JD338

Good to hear and I've got a couple pounds of H322 to boot. Interesting how it works well in a big boomer and is my go to powder to shoot a 32 grain bullet at 4000 fps out of a 204 Ruger. Talk about "extreme" powder!
Hodgon advertisers would be proud :p

You shouldn't have any trouble selling the Guide Gun; but shoot it first. Of Course, that is what it sounds like may happen in any case. After shooting it, you may fall in love with it.

The 45-70 is my favorite gun when I am in thick bear cover. One of my friends is alive because he was able to get enough "quick" rounds off shooting from the hip. It is also the only gun my wife will carry while working on the rivers. She is a lefty and not comfortable shooting a bolt action.

Steve

I have always wanted a 45-70! I would make the trade as well. If you decide you don't like it you can always sell it. I have been doing a fair amount of horse trading guns this year and I have to say that its kind of fun. A guy always needs some good trading stock if nothing else!

YoteSmoker –

Back near the turn of the century I looked for a couple years for a used 1895 and couldn’t find anything under $400. Finally found one in 2002 that was made in 2000 and picked it up. $375 sounds like a good deal to me.

You won’t regret it. Mild to wild, the 1895 is a hoot to shoot.

The trade didn't happen. My 280 Remington 7400 is still for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested. I'll also include a take down manual I forgot I had with it as part of the package.

Back