Powder for 300 Savage

c. schutte

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Just wondering what powder you folks would recommend for a model 99. Going with the 150 grain PT.

I've read where Varget is a good choice and is available but, I've got some RL15 just sitting on a shelf begging to get used somewhere. Not sure it would be the best for 150 grain bullets???

I'm not trying to get warp speed with this rifle, just a consistent load for deer. Anyone with experience with this cartridge and if RL15 is a good choice? Also, if that answer is yes is there any load data?

Thanks............chs

Chuck, I am using AA2520 and RL15 in my Grandpa's 300 Savage with 150 SST's, Partitions and Accubonds. Both of them work excellent and seem real easy to shoot at around 2675'ish speeds. I'd forge on with 15 since you have it.

I am sure anything like Varget, 15, TAC, 4895's, etc would all work fine.

Would also recommend the Leverevoltion powder. Higher speeds, lower pressure (per Hodgen)

I have some on order for a 303 Savage which doesn't have as much go as the 300. Loaded up a dozen 150 RN (3035 Hornady)
Might be a week before I see results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running IMR 4064 forever in mine with 150 gr SP. Works great, and being a dense powder don't have any compressed load issues.

I've also used VN140 and IMR 4320. R15 is right in this wheelhouse, and should also serve you well.

Thanks guys,

I'll probably go with the RL 15 since it is here. This rifle will be mostly for whitetail and won't likely see a shot more than 300 yards with 50 to 120 being where most of it's action has been anyway. So there is no reason to push it any faster than needed. Anything 2600+ fps will do fine.

chs

RL-15 will work just fine, it is the most accurate powder in my .308, and will work fine in the .300

I am sure impressed with the little 300 Savage. It does punch above its weight class. I helped a young man a couple of years ago with a 300 Savage. We worked up a load for his rifle and he dropped a fine, young moose with it that fall. Since then, his younger brother took another moose this past year. It is an accurate rifle that does deliver the goods.

DrMike":2afw9g2v said:
I am sure impressed with the little 300 Savage. It does punch above its weight class. I helped a young man a couple of years ago with a 300 Savage. We worked up a load for his rifle and he dropped a fine, young moose with it that fall. Since then, his younger brother took another moose this past year. It is an accurate rifle that does deliver the goods.

I've seen the same results Doc. Maybe it's hang time?

This was my grandfather's favorite rifle and with it he dropped more deer than most will see, including a long range shot over a canyon to drop a mule deer buck in it's tracks. It's always shot everything (factory ammo) extremely well so that is what we've fed it. I've noticed in the last few years that bullets are starting to separate on deer. Even the extremely moderate velocities of the 300 sav. Assuming it is due to the everyone trying to look good on energy charts, they expand more quickly than ever. Too much for my likes. Thinking the 150 grain Partition will fit the bill nicely here.

My friend took 2 large North Woods whitetail with the 150 Partition in this round. He was shooting a Rem 722, so we were not afraid of running the loads to the max. If I recall, we used Lyman max data with IMR 4064.

Both shots were quartering away towards the far shoulder and about 10% downhill grade. One struck heavy bone/muscle on the far side and did not exit. Found it embedded in shattered bone/muscle while butchering. Second caught a little less muscle on the way out and exited with about a half-dollar sized hole. Both shots were around 125 yards, and did the job nicely.

I think you'll be very happy with the PT on deer in this caliber. We also found the 150 Hornady flat base spritzer to match the trajectory pretty well to 200 yards if you want to get some less expensive practice in. Also a fine deer bullet at this velocity, but they didn't like the feed ramp on my vintage M99. I currently shoot a discontinued Speer 150 mag tip in my rifle. I think the Speer 150 GS would also be a fine choice if your rifle doesn't like the PT for some reason.

I have found my M99 to be a brass stretcher, so be sure to check for case web weakness and use brass of known age, use and number of firings. A separated case in an M99 would be no fun at all!

I'm not shooting a 99 in 300 Savage but am a Remington 81. I loading a 150 grain Speer round nose over 43.0 grains of Varget with good results.

mjcmichigan":3edaj6kf said:
Would also recommend the Leverevoltion powder. Higher speeds, lower pressure (per Hodgen)

I have some on order for a 303 Savage which doesn't have as much go as the 300. Loaded up a dozen 150 RN (3035 Hornady)
Might be a week before I see results.

I use the LVR in Dad's 300 Savage. Quite accurate, minimal recoil, and overall a nice load. Here is where to look for some data:

http://ataleoftwothirties.com/?p=1026

Back