Powder in Nosler Accubond Factory 180G

Pineman

Beginner
Dec 20, 2021
My Browning shoots the Factory Nosler Trophy Grade 180G AccuBond in 300WSM very good. I would like to try and duplicate what they are doing at the factory. I pulled one today, it was very compressed, and weighed in and it was 62.4grains. My question is: anybody venture to guess what powder Nosler uses for their factory loads. I suppose I could try to eyeball the various powders I have to try and match that to what the factory was .
TIA

My Browning shoots the Factory Nosler Trophy Grade 180G AccuBond in 300WSM very good. I would like to try and duplicate what they are doing at the factory. I pulled one today, it was very compressed, and weighed in and it was 62.4grains. My question is: anybody venture to guess what powder Nosler uses for their factory loads. I suppose I could try to eyeball the various powders I have to try and match that to what the factory was .
TIA
Can you send a picture of the powder kernels? I'm curious. More likely they are using slow burning powder, since case was compressed.

More than likely NOT a canister grade of powder… the ammo makers use powders not available to handliaders the majority of time. You “might” be able to find something similar burn rate wise and type; ie: ball vs kernel, etc

frankm is spot on in his assessment. It would be most unusual if the powder is available to hand loaders.

Here are 2 pics of the powder inside the Nosler Factory 180G AccuBond. I gave it the eye test compared to some of the powders that i had: It was closet of RE 22. H 4831SC was a little larger. Also looked at RE19, IMR4831, Magpro, IMR 4350.

Attachments

• 20231001_112730.jpg
    20231001_112730.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231001_112743.jpg
    20231001_112743.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 19
Here are 2 pics of the powder inside the Nosler Factory 180G AccuBond. I gave it the eye test compared to some of the powders that i had: It was closet of RE 22. H 4831SC was a little larger. Also looked at RE19, IMR4831, Magpro, IMR 4350.
Most ammo manufacturers have their own blends unless for maybe some private small custom ammo manufacturers that will use the powders sold to us.

It seems to be the consensus that Nosler uses a powder not available to us. Oh well, I can reuse the bullet and case so not a big loss.

Long shot here maybe, but if you have some check it out. Alliants online data using Reloader 16, is showing 64.1 grains for a Nosler 180 grain Partition. I have some here so I dumped some out and looked at it. Looks an awful lot like the first picture you posted. Short chunky grains of irregular lengths and some ends not cut off cleanly.

GRT is showing a load ratio of 101.5% at 64 grains, so it would be compressed at that. I doubt that's it, but worth a shot to look at if you have some.

ShadeTree,
Thanks for your reply. I have RE17,19 and 22 but can't find any 16 or 26. Any idea where a person can find some? I talked with a rep from Scheels and he said most of the Alliant powder is going to the military instead of consumers.

Whatever they used it was super compressed. I have to use a paper clip a couple of times to remove all the powder. It was clumped together that much.

ShadeTree,
Thanks for your reply. I have RE17,19 and 22 but can't find any 16 or 26. Any idea where a person can find some? I talked with a rep from Scheels and he said most of the Alliant powder is going to the military instead of consumers.
Gonna cost you.

Wow: that's pricey. I wonder free shipping deals applies to powder (still have to pay Hazmat).

I can't believe how expensive the reliant powders have become.
I have a good supply of Alliant powders on hand from before this last shortage. Which is a good thing, because i refuse to pay the new Alliant prices. The only one I would even be tempted to pay these prices for would be RL23. It’s an exceptional powder. With that being said, there isn’t enough performance difference to justify $10-$15 per pound difference in price. So maybe not even for RL23.

Back