Powder is coming down.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Woo Hoo! Finally things are showing real signs of catching up, at least on the powder front.

Shop here has things such as 8 lbs of staball 6.5 for $259. 8lbs of CFE 223 for $241. 8lbs of H335 for $238. 8lbs of BLC-2 for $238. 8lbs of Hybrid 100V which I haven't seen in forever for $236. Things like a 1 lb can of Lever is $34, not $45 like I was seeing. Plenty of others to list but you get the idea. Those prices are still not cheap but down quite a bit from the highs.

Don't need any of them, but good to see none the less......things like that are good for everybody.

I want to join in on the party but powder isn't really down.
What you're seeing is when wholesaler X get's enough powder in stock and or a wholesaler who runs it's own delivery trucks so what you're seeing is the Hazmat removed or rather not built in to the price.

If you're a store...
You NEED powder to sell. If close supplier X who delivers it via their truck is out of stock...you still need it to sell so you'll get it brought in via ups and get whacked the hazmat.

Often times you can't buy enough of it to spread the hazard charge out over several SKU's of powder. Often times they can only get a few allocated cans of powder. Then they must build the hazmat into a pound or two or keg or two...etc.

IMO I think what you're seeing is powder being more available thus local suppliers are able to fill orders easier and deliver it

If your store stocked high priced powder to have product for their reloading customers don't expect them to drop the price too soon.

They can drop powder price all they want the secret is lighting the powder , that’s where the money will still be.

They can drop powder price all they want the secret is lighting the powder , that’s where the money will still be.

Yep primers is still the big deal, although even those you're seeing off the highs and more available. Example, Natchez is showing CCI SR for $89.99 not the prices a good bit higher than that previously, and you can order 5 per day. LR & LR magnum continue to be scarce. I'm not sugar coating it, but it is getting better. Bullets are far more available then they were at the peak of crazy. Especially Hornady.

My last bricks of LR primers I paid $65 for. When they are available again below that I'll know the long hard push has us over the hill on all fronts.

I did purchase these from Cabelas
👇👇👇👇
426953 (1).jpg
For
$99.99 plus hazmat

Same exact primer as CCI#41just different box
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

They go bang and I've yet to put them on my Skidmore Wilhelm hardness machine to compare.
🤣🤣

CCI#41 129.99 is not uncommon

There was a time that $129 for CCI 400 was not that uncommon on most sites if you could find them available, and you could buy one. Not 5 a day for $89.99. That's all I'm saying.........things are changing. Slowly, but changing. Might be a flash in the pan for reasons I wouldn't know about, but as of right now there are visible and real changes a person can see. I'll take it as a good thing until I see something going the other way.

Ive got plenty of "spark" stashed away. With primer prices being 12-15 cents or more per piece I feel really good about the 3-4 cents I spent when I squeeze the trigger on my rifles. Most of my "bricks" were 30-35 dollars

There was a time that $129 for CCI 400 was not that uncommon on most sites if you could find them available, and you could buy one. Not 5 a day for $89.99. That's all I'm saying.........things are changing. Slowly, but changing. Might be a flash in the pan for reasons I wouldn't know about, but as of right now there are visible and real changes a person can see. I'll take it as a good thing until I see something going the other way.
Having been in the industry ...( I don't know how old you are) but I was deep in the industry when the primer shelf life rumor somehow got momentum and every Tom, Dick and Harry were buying primers just to buy them.

Thus a huge shortage of primers happened.
Dealers needed them and when we had them our local accounts didn't have an issue as we ran a weekly truck route to save them on freight and Hazmat...

But...we had dealers nationally and some didn't care about price they just needed product.

If their local to them distributor was out they bought where they could to supply customers.

UPS started breathing fire on the amount of hazard material per charge per shipment.

But dealers needed product.

IMO you're seeing that very thing happening right now and the lower prices you're seeing is the means of getting product have gotten bettet logistically

Hope prices comes down for the popular powders,,,,and availability.

Not great, but down from where I've seen them, and available.........8 lb jugs of either Varget or H4831SC, $316. One lb cans of H4831SC, H4350, & H1000 are $46. Not great but not $56, and they're there. To me it's good to see the wide variety sitting there in stock and at at least somewhat lower prices. Inflation will continue to keep prices artificially raised, but if the supply/demand thing starts to level out, it will go a long ways on stable pricing.

Having been in the industry ...( I don't know how old you are) but I was deep in the industry when the primer shelf life rumor somehow got momentum and every Tom, Dick and Harry were buying primers just to buy them.

Cheapest primers I got bar none I bought January of 2022 from a guy not 3 miles from my house. 4 bricks of the older Blue/Silver/Yellow CCI 200's that were made sometime in the 90's. He named the price.........$50 for all 4 bricks. $12.50 per brick. He shoots pistol constantly so he was well aware of what primers were going for, but I guess he figured they were old and they were rifle primers, so he wasn't going to use them.

Far as shelf life, so far every single one has gone bang and I haven't been able to determine any negative affects as far as accuracy. What I want to do sometime is take a known good load with newer CCI 200's and do a direct comparison on accuracy and speed.

Back