Powder Measure Accuracy

astroman86

Beginner
Jan 21, 2010
Question and scenario: You have a Hornady Lock-n-Load AP, which comes with the powder measure (or any powder measure, for that matter).

How accurate are such powder measures? I assume they must be good, or else no one would use them.

Once the dial is set, how often do you need to confirm the charge? Do you only need to physically weigh each charge if you're into super-accurate competitions? Obviously that would be highly time consuming.

What's the risk of over or under-charging when using a mechanical powder measure as such? Would it always be good enough for hunting rounds?

Thanks!

astroman86
From my reading articles, there are actually a lot of benchresters who use a mechanical measure and have fantastic results. My understanding is that they are pretty darn accurate. I wouldn't think that checking a thrown weight after 15 or 20 thrown loads would be excessive, or any type of a lapse in checking for consistancy.
I'm picky about my loads so what I do is set the measure so it throws just slightly under what I am loading at a particular time. I then use the powder trickle to add enough to zero the scales. It's almost as fast and I know my loads are exact. I certainly feel with hunting loads that it would not be necessary for me to do that at all, but I just like to be sure.
What type of powder you are using also has an effect on how accurate the thrown charges are. I use a lot of IMR4350, H4831SC, and others, and they don't meter as well as some of the finer extruded powders. I would suggest setting your measure for a specific weight and loading ten or twenty rounds and checking each weight after it is thrown so you can see for sure how accurate your measure is and go from there. You should be able to determine if it's necessary of not.
Just my two cents worth, and I hope this helps.

Depends on the powder. For H380 and other ball/spherical powders, I weight the first five or so, then check probably every tenth. Extruded powders get weighed every charge.

I weigh everything, unless I am loading for my 44 Rem Mag. I have an older RCBS Uniflow, and it works well, but it is nicer to know every charge thrown is a good one! Scotty

It is true that a volumetric measure can be as accurate as any other measure, the fact that the majority of manuals rely upon weigbht measurements gives greater confidence when weighing a charge than to merely "throw" a charge. Should a person choose to use volumetric measurement, the fact that Lee makes and sells the scoops should be a comfort use of these scoops can produce surprisingly accurate loads. The volumetric powder measures certainly can throw a surprisingly consistent charge if the one operating develops a consistent motion. This is far easier when using ball powders than would be true for most stick powders.

Yah I'm using IMR4350, which is extruded and looks like little rat pellets, and I would think it would have a harder time in the volumetric thrower.

Honestly part of the reason I'm asking this question is because I'm wondering if I SHOULD spring for the Lock-n-Load AP, which comes with the thrower but nothing else, or if I should get their (Hornady's) Classic Kit I saw at BassPro which comes with an electronic scale (among other things).

On the one hand you can reload 1000 rounds of pistol ammo (and rifle ammo) REALLY quickly, but on the other you get a lot more stuff with it and the ability to electronically measure each load (which you would NOT do with pistol ammo).

Recommendations anyone?

If this is your first time(not just adding to your reloading equipment) then I would get the kit. I use single stage presses only and turn out many rounds per hour when loading. I load for many cartridges and have loaded for years. The way to do it is to batch process your ammo. You will find using a hand primer will make more difference in accuracy than weighting each powder charge. You will be very surprised just how consistant the powder measures can be with a few tricks in using them.
I never weighted each charge before and had great shooting ammo. I have now bought an electronic measure/scale and have started weighting each charge for hunting ammo when I only are loading 20-50 rounds. I do not see any difference compared to my out way using the powder measure. But is is a new toy and fun to use.

Get the kit. you can always add later if you get the urge to.

astroman

I also load stick powder like the rat stuff and have a couple of different weighing standards. I can usually tell when I don't throw a good load by the way the handle comes down. In that case I weigh the charge, in my case its always light. When loading shooting ammo I weigh about every 5 charges. When loading maximum or near maximum powder weights. I weigh every charge. I only neck size for general shooting, but for hunting I full length resize and try "every" round in the gun before going to the field. One more little thing I always wash and dry my hands before loading primers. I have only had one misfire in over 50 years of reloading.

Back