Powder measure

DevilDawg

Beginner
Apr 10, 2006
I have a Redding old style manual powder measure that refuses to throw a consistant charge. No matter how I adjust the powder drum calibrator it will throw a heavy charge sometimes and/or a light charge. It has never thrown 2 charges of the same weight. It's always a couple of grains over or under. Any way to fix this, or should I just live with it and weigh each charge on the scale.

I am very particular about my charge weights and want them to be right on the money for both hunting and targets.

My old RCBS powder measure performs in much the same manner unless I am using pretty fine grain powders or ball powders.

My standard has become to set the measure to throw a charge that is a little lighter than what I want then put the pan on my scale and trickle in powder till I get the exact amount that I want.

Sort of tedious, but you get into it and it goes pretty fast. In the last two weeks I have loaded over three hundred rifle shells and have weighed the charge on every one.

R Flowers, I'm doing the same as you right now. Just thought there might be a better way. :(

I had good luck with my RCBS Uniflow for over 35 years. My wife bought me an RCBS Chargemaster Combo, after I use it for a month or so I'll let you know how I like it.

I also through my charges on the light side with my RCBS powder charger and trickle powder into the scale pan for desired weight.
Sometimes with the right powder and charge weight, my charger throws exact charges. When this happens, I will check every 2-3 on the scale.

JD338

I also throw and trickle every rifle round I load..
You can throw hand gun loads, but I won't throw rifle loads.

Back