pre-64 Win M70 mount questions

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Is the receiver different on the pre-64's that modern production mounts would not fit a pre-'64?

tddeangelo":1da39ey0 said:
Is the receiver different on the pre-64's that modern production mounts would not fit a pre-'64?

That's a great question? Did you look on Midway?

Just looked and they do look different. Not sure what is different about them though? Hopefully Pat or someone on here with a Pre-64 can fill us in.

Did you get it? Still haven't got the number in my PM's? :shock:

SJB358":1yyw3wh8 said:
Just looked and they do look different. Not sure what is different about them though? Hopefully Pat or someone on here with a Pre-64 can fill us in.

Did you get it? Still haven't got the number in my PM's? :shock:

Not yet, Scotty. Probably a couple weeks till I hear back from Dana. He said he has the "big stuff" (i.e. really expensive stuff) to handle first, then he'll get back to me. He's still searching for the stock, anyway.

I looked at Talley makes bases for it. Even will custom fit a peep to the rear base, and looks like they're QR. Might investigate that further. Sure wouldn't be a bad thing to have a peep I can put on if a scope gets dinged.

Tom,

I'm not sure either. I just got one and in the process of re-barreling it. I've kinda started looking but the only thing I've ever seen was about the Pre-64 Express with the .435 spacing. I'm not sure as what to tell you I got a book on them and I'll look through it and see if I can find anything.

Jake

I emailed Talley, as they list Pre-'64 parts, and here's the part numbers they gave me...

930704 1” lightweight low
940704 1” med

I do need to see if they offer the same thing in 30mm.......since the scopes I'm considering are 30mm tubes. :)

Tom, I believe pre 64 and post 64 rifles use the same bases in standard length actions (.860" RHS). I think the pre 64 magnum action will have .440" RHS, whereas a post 64 magnum would have .330" RHS.

RHS = rear hole spacing

I think the Talley numbers would be 730704 for lows and 740704 mediums for a pre 64 magnum action and 30 mm scope.

The .425 rear mount spacing was used for some Pre 64 Magnum, actioned rifles and some "3-hole tapped actions" were also made using this rear mount screw spacing. These short rear spacing mounts holes are only on Pre-War and Transition Model rifles, according to Rule's book. No rifle's stamped over serial number 125,000 (1950) would have short space screws unless a gunsmith did it.

Oldtrader3":27xj7agn said:
The .425 rear mount spacing was used for some Pre 64 Magnum, actioned rifles and some "3-hole tapped actions" were also made using this rear mount screw spacing. These short rear spacing mounts holes are only on Pre-War and Transition Model rifles, according to Rule's book. No rifle's stamped over serial number 125,000 (1950) would have short space screws unless a gunsmith did it.

Thanks, Charlie! Good to hear from you, too.

Looks promising for me to finally get that pre-'64 300H&H we've discussed in the past. Hopefully more info soon.....

Tom, I am pretty sure that will be an acquisition that you will become very fond of, especially once you have owned one and taken a few head of game with it. I have owned three of them, two were 1950's vintage Alaskan, Model 70's and one was from a short run that USRAC ran in the late 1980's. I always liked the Alaskan version because they had a red "Winchester" recoil pad on them from the factory.

I am sure that these will not get any cheaper in the future. Good luck with finding what you want while you can still find one. I would look for one somewhere near the low 300,XXX serial number range, if you can find one.
Charlie

Oldtrader3":19wu3iql said:
Tom, I am pretty sure that will be an acquisition that you will become very fond of, especially once you have owned one and taken a few head of game with it. I have owned three of them, two were 1950's vintage Alaskan, Model 70's and one was from a short run that USRAC ran in the late 1980's. I always liked the Alaskan version because they had a red "Winchester" recoil pad on them from the factory.

I am sure that these will not get any cheaper in the future. Good luck with finding what you want while you can still find one. I would look for one somewhere near the low 300,XXX serial number range, if you can find one.
Charlie

Charlie,

The deal here is that a friend of my father's and also of mine is in charge of selling the firearms and related contents from the estate of a gunsmith who passed away somewhat recently. Another mutual friend was discussing the contents of said estate with the gent in charge of liquidating it. As they were talking, Friend #2 recalled talking with me on a hunt about rifles we'd like to some day own, and that I'd said I'd really like to someday get a pre-'64 in 300H&H.

So Friend #2 asks if such a rifle is in the estate, and it turns out there is indeed a pre-'64 300 H&H in the mix of stuff.

At this time, I'm waiting until the friend in charge of the liquidation is able to get through the higher dollar stuff and he will then call me. He has told me it is not going anywhere before I get a chance to check it out. I've pretty much decided that if the price is anywhere close to reasonable, I will purchase it.

tddeangelo":2jbuiiwp said:
Charlie,

The deal here is that a friend of my father's and also of mine is in charge of selling the firearms and related contents from the estate of a gunsmith who passed away somewhat recently. Another mutual friend was discussing the contents of said estate with the gent in charge of liquidating it. As they were talking, Friend #2 recalled talking with me on a hunt about rifles we'd like to some day own, and that I'd said I'd really like to someday get a pre-'64 in 300H&H.

So Friend #2 asks if such a rifle is in the estate, and it turns out there is indeed a pre-'64 300 H&H in the mix of stuff.

At this time, I'm waiting until the friend in charge of the liquidation is able to get through the higher dollar stuff and he will then call me. He has told me it is not going anywhere before I get a chance to check it out. I've pretty much decided that if the price is anywhere close to reasonable, I will purchase it.

Friend #3 has offered to inspect the rifle numerous time for Tom, but for some weird reason he is resisting it... Don't get it? Friend #3 just wants to make sure he is getting a proper rifle... Figure there is no sense in even messing with it if it isn't up to Tom's standards... Saying that, Friend #3 would just take the ol beat up 300 home and figure out what to do with it?...

Mike, any suggestions? :lol:

Well, we could throw friend #4 into the mix. He is a true "Winchesterophile" and certified gun crank. He would be able to make an absolutely dependable assessment after only one season of using said firearm in pursuit of appropriate game, and then permit friend No. 3 to examine said firearm in the presence of friend #4, just to assure everyone involved that said firearm is indeed all it is purported to be. :mrgreen: Works for me.

DrMike":1wct09p5 said:
Well, we could throw friend #4 into the mix. He is a true "Winchesterophile" and certified gun crank. He would be able to make an absolutely dependable assessment after only one season of using said firearm in pursuit of appropriate game, and then permit friend No. 3 to examine said firearm in the presence of friend #4, just to assure everyone involved that said firearm is indeed all it is purported to be. :mrgreen: Works for me.

OR.........

I can just buy, post pics, and let Friends 3 and 4 slobber over the pics and short out their keyboards....

DrMike":27w7egmq said:

I'm in!

Now I KNOW why we keep the good Doc around! The guy is light years ahead of me in thinking! :mrgreen:

Tom, your idea will never work. Take it from me. I only have your best interest at heart.

DrMike":3eqvyd3p said:
Tom, your idea will never work. Take it from me. I only have your best interest at heart.

hmmmm......

I'll think on it and let you know. Probably get you an answer somewhere around July or August.

Goodness, that's a long wait, Tom. Tell you what. Scotty and I will just make the decision for you and save you from the need to expend all that neurological energy. Again, thinking only of your welfare, I would not want you to have to suffer from the wear and tear on your neurons. :grin:

Back