Preferred .40 S&W Bullet Weight

CMBTshooter

Handloader
Jun 8, 2011
Hey guys,

I just got a new Glock 27 for concealed carry and I would like to know what your favorite bullet weight is. I use heavy bullets in the 10mm but I wonder about the case capacity of the .40 with the heavy bullets when compared to the 10mm.

Out of the 3.42in barrel, is heavy and slow better than light and fast?

I prefer 155-165's. The 165 HST is what I carry in all my .40's. These weights seem to give a nice balance of penetration and expansion, plus a little less recoil than 180's.

Regardless of which weight you choose, I would suggest buying ammo with a premium bullet such as the HST, Gold Dot, Golden Saber, etc. These cost more but have more engineering work put into the design and they have the potential to expand better even at the reduced velocities from short barrels.

Ron

When I had my CZ85, it preferred the 180 gr Blazer Brass ammo over all others I tried in it.

I also found that I liked the way it handled with the 180 gr ammo compared to the few 165 gr loads I tried. Hard to explain the feel, just found that I did.

I've been waiting for over 4 years for my CZ SP-01 Tactical in 40. Plan to stick with the 180's, if the pistol likes them. Only time will tell.

Of course here in Canada we can only have handguns with 4.2" barrels, so cannot comment on various bullet weights in a shorter barrelled pistol.

For defense against humans go with the 155-65s as has been said above the premium HP bullets. Speer Gold Dot is what I prefer because it will expand through about any clothing. The reason for the lighter bullets and higher velocity you get is to aid expansion and dump most if not all of it's force in the body and will limit pass through and hits on untended things. Remember you are responsible for the bullet no matter where it goes. So shoot straight and hit your target and dump most or all of the bullet force in the intended target.

I use the Winchester Silvertip 155's in both of my P229 and P239 SigSauers. Plenty enough energy, 500 lbs with 4 inch barrel. On the chrono my P239 spits them out at 1175 fps with the 3.6 inch barrel. I use it for conceal carry and cannot go wrong with that.

I like heavy bullets. I do not have a 40 cal but in my 45 ACP, I use 230 gr JHPs.
My carry load is Winchester Rangers.

JD338

I shoot 180 grain bullets in my M&P compact. I tried 165 grain loads from several manufacturers and all shot low. But with the 180's everything I tried was dead on.
Personally I don't like the feel of either in a compact .40 but it is what it is.
I load Rainier copper plated 180 HP's for practice with a good load of unique. Shoots good and has just enough recoil to train for the self defense loads.

I'm running the Federal 155 grain Border Patrol load.

Worked good for the BP and I got a stash of it. Don't often carry the .40 these days though.

I generally prefer something rounder these days.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot a lot of .40 S&W in an STI Limited USPSA gun. It likes 180 grain bullets, and seems to produce flatter recoil with 180s than lighter bullets. One of my buddies, a GM, shoots 200 grain bullets for the same reason, flatter recoil, quicker recovery.

I carry the 180 grain Federal HST in my S&W M&P Compact. I really like the HST load, and have that in all my carry guns.

I've loaded everything in three different Glocks from 135s(sps seconds) to 200s.
All three shot 180s to point of aim consistently, so I stick with them.
If I think I need more, I carry a 10 with 180s or 200s. :grin: (my usual carry anyhow)

Thanks for the input guys. I bought a bunch of Ranier 180 plated FPs to load up some practice ammo.

In my Beretta Cougar (8040) the 165's and 180's shot the best. I usually used whatever Re-man I could find for cheap at Sportsman's Warehouse. In my Kahr CW40 the 155s were a must. The 165's and 180's had much too much recoil for such a compact gun.

Back