Primer pockets

CoronaCA

Beginner
Oct 18, 2017
Hello all,

So I have noticed that my pockets are getting a bit large and the primers go in way easy and in some cases they won’t even seat. I am curious what some you are doing to maintain the pocket size but get them somewhat prepared for a new primer.

Thanks , Nick

Basically, once the primer pockets get loose it's time to pitch the brass.

Primer pockets last much longer with milder loads. My 6.5 Creedmoor loads last 10+ firings, my .308 goes forever, my .300WSM brass is usually suspect at 4-5 full throttle charges.

Once they get too loose, the brass is done. I don't think there's any prep work that will prolong pocket life. Generally, running milder loads will prolong brass the best. If you are running max or near max loads, accept shorter brass life.

Yea, I know the brass is done. Just wondering what some other methods some are using. The pockets cleaners seem to make it worse.

How many firings are you getting before they loosen up? Warm loads and or soft brass loosens primer pockets. Primer pocket cleaner should have no effect on the pocket tightness.

CoronaCA":363kflpu said:
Yea, I know the brass is done. Just wondering what some other methods some are using. The pockets cleaners seem to make it worse.

Remington primers tend to fit a little looser than CCI and Federal primers. Especially the standard large primer. What pocket cleaner are you using?

Federal brass are soft and primer pockets on those tend to get loose after 2 or 3 firings.

I have heard of using a ball bearing in the pocket and smacking it with a mallet. That may get you an extra loading? If the pockets are getting loose after one or two loadings, either except it as the price your paying for performance, back off the powder charge a bit or work up from starting loads again with a different brand of brass.

I put this chart together a few years ago sourced from my measurements and some from online. Which primers are you using?

599f5d1b6a8aa76726dff4751de3115f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertcj":zbmry22m said:
I have heard of using a ball bearing in the pocket and smacking it with a mallet. That may get you an extra loading? If the pockets are getting loose after one or two loadings, either except it as the price your paying for performance, back off the powder charge a bit or work up from starting loads again with a different brand of brass.
I've read about this but have never done it. I feel once they get that over size it's time to pitch them in the scrap bin.
But if you need to know how it's done you weld a 1/2" hard steel ball bearing to a flat plate take a piece of drill rod that will fit into the case mouth place the case with the primer pocket on the ball bearing with the rod inside the case against the base and give the rod a smart blow with a mallet or hammer. This will cause the primer pocket mouth to swage similar to crimping or that is what I've read it does and you can get a few more loadings out of the brass.

I'm sure something could be made by a machinist. Think of a Lee collet die where the case goes into a case headspace gauge and goes up into the collet die base up. The collet would squeeze the base down a few thousandths...

I always figured if the pocket was loose and I was set on the load that loosened them, then more brass was the price of running what might be a warm load.
I personally would be a little leary of "magic fixes". Not dissing anyone's procedures.
Just seems to me if one part of the containment component is bad then further use might be tickling the dragons tail as the good Dr would say. :grin:
Of course, I'm said to be a little touchy about my brass.

Back