Primer size...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Interesting. I've been using Mag Tech primers with excellent results for my .45 ACP loading. Just standard "large pistol" primers. Ran out of them and grabbed a box of Federal "large pistol" primers to continue loading...

Hah! Three cases in a row, three primers that were a tad too large to seat in the primer pockets!

Substituted a box of CCI "large pistol" primers, and suddenly all was well again...

I use a LOT of Federal rifle primers, but usually stick with CCI or Mag Tech pistol primers for my handguns. Can't recall ever running into this before. Those Federal primers would almost, but not quite, seat... I suspect they're just a little large.

I've got several boxes of them. Will have to see if they fit any of my other cartridge cases, like .45 Colt or .44 mag...

Guy

That's unusual for Federal pistol primers. They are my go to primers for all my pistol target loads with Winchester being second choice. The Federal uses softer metal and were easier to set off with reduced power hammer springs. The CCI had the harder primer metal and was hard to set off with the light hammer springs.

Right - I remember having that problem with CCI primers a long time ago with a .357 mag I used to shoot. It had a light spring.

I wonder if I've got some large rifle primers... in large pistol primer boxes? Aren't they a tiny bit different in size? Not sure. Never compared.

Guy

The rifle primers are different as far as mixture I'm not sure of the size but I think they are longer but would have to measure them to be sure.

Hopefully this comes through ok, it looks a little pixelated on my phone.

4ed9724e369736787556ebbaecef9540.jpg

Wyo7200":1ekn5dvf said:
Hopefully this comes through ok, it looks a little pixelated on my phone.

4ed9724e369736787556ebbaecef9540.jpg
Does the brand of brass make a difference as far as pocket size? I think it does if not for difference in lots.

Like everything else turned out by automated machinery there is a slight deviation in each one I would suspect.

Back