Primers, The New Gold

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
I think I just found the last brick of normal priced Remington 9 1/2M primers in existence at a local shop. At least that’s what sellers on gunbroker would have you believe. People have lost what’s left of their natural born minds! A dollar or better per primer! They will keep going up as long as people pay it.

Yep and it isn't just primers. Pretty much everything. I picked up 2 full older boxes of 30 cal 180 gr Hornady RN last summer for $10 per box....when they're that cheap you just buy them to shoot if nothing else. Traded a partial can of older powder I wasn't using recently for 3 boxes of older bullets.....one of which was another full box of 180 Hornady RN.

Just out of curiosity I looked on GB and an identical older full box was on there being bid on so I put it on my watch list. Ended at $82.

I hate to say this but I may actually start conserving. I have a few hundred rounds loaded for each of my rifles now.

I used our Food Sealer and vacuum packed about 98% of my primers with the exception of a few trays of each type, including about 2000 #11 percussion caps. I kept a couple hundred of those out for use as well.

Put them in my 2 safes and buttoned them up with my firearms. All my powders are stored in a temp and humidity controlled area. Plus 8# jugs won’t fit in the bags. Lol.

Under different circumstances I’d say I was set for 4-6 years, but we don’t know how long this will last, or if prices will even return to what they once were. Personally I find it doubtful that they will. Now that manufacturers have seen what people will pay to play I think the usual price range is gone. I already have friends asking if I can “give” them ammo. 20 or so rounds to hunt with is one thing but supplying a day at the range of blasting away is quite another. I wouldn’t let a friend miss a season over 20 rounds. I’m hoping things return to some semblance of normal for us all sooner rather than later.

I’ll still hunt as usual, but will be more judicious with my round count at the range, and my non-hunting loads for 5.56, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP are literally on lockdown. I can see bartering in our very near future in order to shoot or hunt. Maybe I’m being dramatic, I don’t know. This is an instance where I would very much like to be mistaken.

Joec7651, +1 ! As long as people allow themselves to be taken advantage of regarding pricing then the gouging will continue. Some might say willing buyer, willing seller; and other such logic but I m still old school that it’s still gouging IMO. I was raised hearing ‘ some people have more money than sense’ and I think that saying still pertains.

I saw one on there that was at $250 for 1000 LR CCI’s, and it had some time left. All I can say is WOW.

Joe, I've entered a somewhat conservative mode as well. I got more than enough powder and bullets........primers is what I have to somewhat conserve.

I done some figuring and if I would restrict myself to 10 shots a week average starting every yr from the first week in March through the last week of November, which gets me into hunting season, I got enough for 10 yrs.

My plan is to somewhat stick to that average for the next yr and hopefully by then primers will start to come available. If not then, by that time I might go back to the old ways of taking a couple shots before hunting season and just save what I got until it breaks back loose hopefully.

I couldnt afford to buy. Problem solved. Hopefully, eventually enough folks will get fed up with this ridiculousness. I still got a sling shot. Rocks are cheap. CL

Fella has to have a stash
847d0d8facfd607868da6740cb5f53d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am set for years. I stocked up.

Obama taught me how to do it. LOL

Now if I can find some #11 percussion caps.......

frankm":2u05ay3t said:
Joec7651, +1 ! As long as people allow themselves to be taken advantage of regarding pricing then the gouging will continue. Some might say willing buyer, willing seller; and other such logic but I m still old school that it’s still gouging IMO. I was raised hearing ‘ some people have more money than sense’ and I think that saying still pertains.

I couldn’t agree more.

I've got a good stash of components and loaded ammo - but I'm conserving too.

Lately, I've turned to archery for much of my shooting. Relaxing. I enjoy it.

B2bDrqRl.jpg

YcLkQo1l.jpg

I've got three bows:

66" 34# Hoyt Pro Medalist recurve target bow - which I've had since high school days.

62" 53# Hoyt Pro Hunter hunting bow - a take-down recurve I've had since the mid 1970s.

70# PSE compound hunting bow - I've had it maybe 10 years or so? Bought it used, as a gift for my youngest son. He didn't take to it and gave it back to me. I'm learning to shoot it better & better.

I got started in archery when I was ten years old. In my mid 60's now. I've built my own arrows, bow strings, etc.. Used to compete, might consider taking that up again, but I need to up my game. :) Have an archery elk tag for next fall, Washington.

At any rate - I'm taking it a lot easier on my handloading & shooting. Yesterday I went through 75 rounds of pistol shooting, 50 were 22's, 25 were 45 auto. I'll probably do that again in a day or two. Been a while since I shot my semi-auto pistols and have my annual "retired officer qualification" coming up this weekend. Practicing the 25 shot course of fire three times yesterday helped. That's the most ammo I've burned in quite a while.

F8hcpW7l.jpg

Regards, Guy

Yep, I've given up on small rifle primers. The manufacturers keep saying "no conspiracy", "crazy demand", etc., etc. At what point does this become a real problem? I'm thinking soon because it's been an ongoing problem for me...

Am thankful that I was caught with a rather good supply of components on hand. Enough to last for years if need be. :)

But still, I'm conserving.

Guy

Expect prices to increase slightly from what it was before. https://www.internationalsportsman.com/ ... -supplies/

Due to the increased cost inputs for manufacturing ammunition, it is necessary to increase ammunition prices for all shipments, including backorders, beginning May 1, 2021.

Ammunition will be subject to the following price increases.

Shotshells + 5%-12%
22 Magnum Rimfire ammunition + 5%-15%
Hunting Rifle ammunition + 5%-15%
All Centerfire Pistol ammunition +8%
Components +10%
Primers +25% (Due to our current backorder situation, until further notice, Winchester is not accepting new orders on primers)

These May 1, 2021 increases will affect all pack sizes, sub-brands, and special make-ups.

All existing orders and future orders shipped on or after May 1, 2021, will be shipped at the new prices unless you notify us requesting cancellation. Procedures for repricing back and future orders will be issued with new pricelists and programs in the coming weeks.

Back