Primers

G

Has anyone had better results using CCI250 Primers when loading for the 300Ultra Mag? I've noticed Pop and some others mention on this blog they use this primer. What differences have you noticed with your loads and testing? I shoot Reloader 25 and Retumbo also with the 180 AccuBond bullet. Purchased some CCI 250 primers but have not tried them yet.

Thanks for your input,
Don

Don,

I only use Federal GM215M primers in my 338 RUM. If I had to change, I would start with the CCI250.

JD338

I use CCI250 in my .300Wby. i'm satisfied with them. I remember reading somewhere that CCI's gives higher pressure then the Federal and others.

Jim is correct. Federal 215s were developed for the Weatherby cartridges; they are the hottest primer you can obtain. However, I have used CCI250 and WLRM primers with good results in Weatherby and Lazzeroni cartridges. They may not be as "hot," but the equation is relative.

I use CCI250's for everything magnum in my safe. Never had an issue with getting them to be accurate in my loads. I would try the Fed 215's, but then I would be starting over with a bunch of loads and I am not ready for that! Scotty

I use cci250's in all my magnums too.... and in a few non-magnums that I shoot with H380.

Dr. Mike,
All my loads developed to date are with Federal 215 Primers. Would I assume correctly by using CCI250 primers they would reduce the pressure since the 215 is hotter?

Don

DON,

Whenever you change a component, work up the load again for safety sake. Likely, the pressure will be somewhat lower; but there is no guarantee since there are other factors that influence the pressure curve. You may not notice any drop in pressure, or you may experience a slight increase. Impossible to say at this point.

Thanks Dr. Mike,
Will give it a try later, for now I will stay with the Federal 215. Need to move on to testing the E-Tip loads I just finished last evening.

Thanks Pop, do you find more consistency with the Match primers vs the regular version?

The primer test scale I use is from the RELOAD BENCH and it shows
Power Average Range Std. Dev.

Fed Match GM215M 6.12 5.23-6.8 .351
Fed 215 LRM 5.69 5.2-6.5 .4437
CCI 250 LRM 5.66 4.5-7.4 .4832
Winchester WLRM 5.45 5.1-6.0 .2046
Remington 9 1/2 5.09 3.5-6.75 .6641

There is a lot to analyze from these figures. I have used CCI250 primers for ever and just added the Fed 215LRM and I can't say I see a difference in accuracy in my case.

Thanks Greg,
Appreciate the info and your experience.

Don

That is good to see Greg, glad I am not missing out by not using them! Scotty

I have used the CCI and Federal for years, mostly CCI because they seem to be he most generally available. I have an exhaustive write up from a gentlemen looking for the most accurate load for his 308 winchester. In this write up he fired several thousands of rounds with numerous cases, powders bullets etc. It was a very detailed test. One of the benefits of this for me was that he also discussed the standard deviation of each class of component. His testing showed that the componet with the least effect on accuracy was the primer. Meaning that if you use primer A instead of B that resulted in the least change in group size. The powder and the bullet were the two components that represented the two elements that resulted in the most change. Now having shared all of that you may wonder what application that had for me. Well most of us are interested in getting good accuracy from our rifles/cartridges. But for me anything around 1" at a 100 yards is all I need for hunting, so when I get to that standard I quite fussing with a particular rifle. Soooooo if my CCI gives me that I am done testing period, I have used the same load in my 300 win mag since 1970 and have never changed it or tried to improve it in any way. Butttt if I wanted the "most accurate load" for competition or targets I would have fiddled much more. So the bullet and powder are the two that you have the most to worry about for hunting applications.
Also with almost 50 years of reloading I have only had one fail to fire with a CCI and several with Remington primers. Thats my 02 for the day

DON":3uznsfi7 said:
Thanks Pop, do you find more consistency with the Match primers vs the regular version?

Yes in my guns..... :p

Thanks for all the replies on my questions about primers.

Don

Greg Nolan":hzkzc0ic said:
The primer test scale I use is from the RELOAD BENCH and it shows
Power Average Range Std. Dev.

Fed Match GM215M 6.12 5.23-6.8 .351
Fed 215 LRM 5.69 5.2-6.5 .4437
CCI 250 LRM 5.66 4.5-7.4 .4832
Winchester WLRM 5.45 5.1-6.0 .2046
Remington 9 1/2 5.09 3.5-6.75 .6641

There is a lot to analyze from these figures. I have used CCI250 primers for ever and just added the Fed 215LRM and I can't say I see a difference in accuracy in my case.
The problem with a test like this, Do it all over with a batch of primers out of a different lot and the numbers will all change.

Back