Primers?

Understand, Federal makes a match primer in both standard large rifle and magnum large rifle. Use the one appropriate to your caliber.

I use Federal 205M and 210M and also use Remington 7 1/2 and 9 1/2. Quite honestly I see no difference between them. The Federals cost quite a bit more though. I see few people preferring Remigton primers in the past several years. Is there some reason why that someone knows of?
Maye you can clue me in. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

John Barsness wrote an article a while back and said that while Federal primers were, at one time, noted as the "hotest" primers out there that actually now days things are a bit different. He quoted an experiment by A Square that showed the difference in PSI of a cartridge changing nothing but the primer can vary by 10,000psi.

He noted that if you are going to switch primers in a given load that the 2 makes that are safe for all loads would be the CCI and then the Fed 210 primers.

Just an after note. The difference in bullet velocity, in a cartridge where the PSI difference was 10,000, was only about 34 fps.

Long

Cal, if you are happy with the Remington primers by all means use them. There is certainly nothing wrong with them. Federals are so available in my area that I built most of my loads around them and just haven't seen any reason to change. When changing primers or any other component of a load it is always good practice to drop back a few grains and work up again. Good shooting!

Back