Primers?

G

I just wondered what primers other reloaders were using? I like Winchester never had a problem even after being moved from Texas to Pa and sitting for almost a year in a moving box untill I got my reloading room set up.

I have setteled on Federal Match primers for everything.

Regards,

JD338

I like the Federal Match primers in all rifle reloads as they have given me the lowest FPS standard deviation across the chronograph from .223 to .338 Win Mag.

Well for standard cartridges, I have always used the Fed 210 with great accuracy and low sd's. As of lately, I have been using the CCI BR-2. Giving great accuracy with low sd's. For magnum primers, theres only one to use and thats the Fed 215, or the match version.

What makes the Federal primer different or better then the Winchester? I have only used Winchester and never tried any other brand. Also the CCI primer?

Bert304,

The Federal 215 Magnum primer has the hottest flame on the market.
It was designed for the 300 and 340 Wby mags.
The Federal Match Grade primers offer the best in consistancy.

Regards,

JD338

I pretty much agree with JD338. Using identical loads and only changing primers in my .270 Win and .338 Win Mag the Fed Match GM210M gave consistant velocities with low standard deviation (SD), the SD with the Win Mag and Fed Mag 215 primers wasn't as consistant. I'd get an occasional shot with a velocity 50-70 fps in either direction. Personally I think the match primers are sorted by weight (primer compound wt.), where as the standard and magnum primers have larger tolerances to the weight standard. A smarter man than I did an excellent review of primer ignition in a Precision Shooting Magazine article years ago. Given a couple of hours I could probably find it, it's an eye opener.

Can you use Federal Match primers on any caliber of rifle and how much do they cost?

You can use match primers in all loads. Just be sure that you purchase the correct size for the caliber you're loading. The Federals are 205M (small rifle) and 210M (large rifle). For extreme cold weather and lots of ball powder some authorities recommend magnum primers, but I haven't experience any difficulties with ignition down to 20 degrees F with Federal match primers. All primer manufacturers have their own secret recipes for primer compounds, which means one manufacturerer's "Match" may have more flame and brisance that another manufacturers "Magnum". I buy all my primers in large bricks of 1000 and they cost between $22 - $30 dollars depending on where you shop.

I shoot a 7mm-08 and a 30-30, I use Winchester Large Rifle. I know Winchesters go for 20 for a brick. Can you tell me where to look on the internet for info on primers

I did a "head to head" comparison of several different primers last summer. I loaded 5 shot groups exactly the same for each test group (6 different test groups using various powder and calibers). I would be glad to email anyone that is interested the results (in wordpad format) In summary, I tested CCI BR2 , Fed GM Match (210), Remington large rifle, Winch large rifle, and Fed GM match magnum(215). The bottom line results were that generally the WLR's were the most consistent with the Fed GM Match (210) 2nd. The WLR's were also the most accurate, in most cases with the Fed GM Match (210) 2nd. There were some exceptions to this, but overall, that was the case. With minor exceptions, the Remingtons were the worst for consistent SD's and acccuracy.

Blaine

I use only two brands, Remington and Federal. I never see any difference between them except the Federals cost more. My group sizes are pretty much the same regardless of which I use. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Winchesters most of the time.Use others form time to time just to try somethings out.

The only problem that I had when I first began reloading in 1979 was getting primers when I need them. This problem, at least in Maryland, has gotten worse with the restrictions placed stocking primers and HAZMAT fees. Some of the few gun shops that are left in business do not stock primers. Of course, one cure for that problem is to buy in bulk when I have the chance to do so. With my FFL, I can buy a lot of primers to share with friends and keep a good stock on hand.
I have settled on Winchester Std Large Rifle Primers for non-magnum cartridges and Fed 215 Primers for all of my magnum loads.

I tend to favor Federal 210M and 215M for most applications. I have had no problems.

I load for a 7mm WSM. I use WLRM primers with Reloader 22. If I wanted to try out the Federal Match primers would the reloaders on this board recommend? The Federal Match or the Federal Magnums?

I would love to try them out and just wanted to get the correct option.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Back