Beginner
Jun 4, 2005
which could be the problem with my die
its brand new for 7mm stw and its already setted
to 3.580 but some loads come out with 3.575
and some of them with 3.583 and has a variation
has anyone had a similar problem & how was it solved

thanks

Your variation could be as simple as the difference in the length of your bullets. The best way to tell if you have a variance that matters is to measure to the ogive with a comparator. These allow you to measure to the same place on the bullet for consistency. I have seen great variations in bullet length due to differences in the tip.

I found the same problem last night when I was reloading my 7mm-08 and I was going for 2.800 and I got some at 2.798 and the shortest one was 2.796. Then I started to check the lenght of the bullets and the vaired by as much as .004. I know i should not be that picky for a hunting load, but I can not help it I ended up put them in the kinetic bullet puller and moving the bullet out a little and reseating them. I would suggest you sort you bullets by length and check it that way then it should be a little eaiser to seat them to the right length.
:lol:

Then I started to check the lenght of the bullets and the vaired by as much as .004. I know i should not be that picky for a hunting load, but I can not help it I ended up put them in the kinetic bullet puller and moving the bullet out a little and reseating them.

I think you would find if you use a "comparator" tool such as the Stoney Point, the OAL lenght from case base / bullet ogive was very consistant in the loads even though they showed variation in case base / bullet tip lenght. The seater works off the ogive and that is the point you want to set a given distance from the leade for best accuracy once you find where your rifle prefers it to be. By evening up the tip / base lght you`ve caused variation in the distance to the leade. -You may have just added 0.004" to what little was there, likely less then 0.001".
The only thing the base to tip lenght is good for IMO is to tell me if my cartridge should fit the mag of my rifle or not, and has little importance in the rest of the cartridges geometery.

JMHO :)

I agree 100 % with ol joe. The variations in actual bullet dimensions (particularly the length) can easily vary by more that .004" even in the ballistic tip style bullet. With the lead tips, the variation can be even more. The distance from the bullet ogive to the lands is the dimension that needs to be kept consistent.

Blaine

Back