Progression?

Elkman

Handloader
Apr 4, 2010
I was looking at my inventory today, and got to reminiscing about the past, in relationship to my gaggle of rifles. In the in the 60's I hunted all my big game with an 06. In 1970 I bought a 300 WM for elk and hunted deer with the 06. At one time I owned 5, 30:06 rifles, I do not own one now. During the same time frame I owned 7 Winchester Model 70's and one two Remington's. Now I only own two Model 70's, and more Remingtons than any another. I never owned a lever action rifle until I was 67 years old, nor did I own a semi auto hunting rifle, now I own one of each. I had 3 shotguns at one time (why I don't know I couldn't hit a school bus with one). They are all gone now.The one thing that has not changed in 46 years is that I still hunt elk with that same 300 WM. I am being pushed hard to retire that rifle, and try a similar rifle with a 7 MM barrel, I am giving that some thought. But will make that decision next October.

MERRY CHRISTMAS all, and may the sun shine on you and yours.

Merry Christmas Bill and would like to know what is causing you to lean towards the 7mm Mag.

I'm pretty sure Bill acquired said 7mm from another member on here.

I don't own a lever rifle and the only semi auto rifles I have are Mini-14's and some AR-15 lowers. I do shoot shotguns a lot in duck season and have always bird hunted so I have a gaggle of shotguns.

Merry Christmas Bill. Worry about the tags first and then what rifle to fill them with.

Merry Christmas buddy.

I think you'll like that 7mm.... it's just like a brother to that old 300 of yours and has a pretty good track record so far.

I thought about it and decided I have zero room to comment on another's rifles or rifle types. As soon as I do it seems one shows up I " need ". I think the older I get the less I know about anything for sure.
Merry Christmas Bill!

Who is pushing you hard to retire the .300 in favor of the 7mm Bill?

Dang... Either one will work just fine, but why change horses at this point?

Guy

Well now we know how Bill got a Mashburn and Scotty got a 350 Rem Mag, sounds like a good trade for both parties :) I would imagine a 7mm Mashburn would kick noticeably less than a 300 Win Mag.

gerry":1jbiwepo said:
Well now we know how Bill got a Mashburn and Scotty got a 350 Rem Mag, sounds like a good trade for both parties :) I would imagine a 7mm Mashburn would kick noticeably less than a 300 Win Mag.

Bingo!

Guy, I don't think any of us have to worry about that 300 getting retired anytime soon.

There are no secrets here at all, none. Thank you all for the Holliday greeting, I hope everyone had a great day and a great year to come.

And just when I thought Scotty was in love with the 7MSM. That must have been a special 350Remington.

Wow, Dang is Right! Scotty exchanged his Mashburn for a 350 Remington Magnum? What is this world coming to, and to that I'd say....... Bill has a more useful rifle IMO switching from that relic!!! Oh Boy, I can hear the choir singing from my seat now for just saying that, but to each is to own as they say? I still share what Bob Hagel loved about the cartridge, and still have a love affair with the 7mm Mashburn..... unlike my buddy that just traded his soul for what he might think is a big better deal! lol

I hope everyone enjoyed their Holidays, and Bob a little less recoil goes a long way in life, and with age. Best wishes everyone.

I do believe Scotty has another Mashburn in the works so all is well ;)

Bill sometimes a change is as good as a rest :wink:. I know it was difficult to leave my CDL in the 270win but after seeing the performance of my 280AI she has likely become a safe queen until my grandchildren are ready to join the hunt. Just hoping one of the will be a lefty :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Oh don't fret fellas. I'll have another 7mm MSM by next fall and hopefully earlier.

Bill seemed to like my MSM and being as he has done so danged much for me I wanted to just give it to him, but as he's said a few times, he try's to get rid of one when he takes a new one on. I was just the lucky recipient of his Dads 350 Rem Mag. It's a cool little rifle and being it's a .358 I just can't bring myself to say no to one of them.

Kevin, the 7mm MSM is a great cartridge in my opinion. It has been super easy to load for, it's a solid step down in recoil from the 300's, 338's and 35's I usually shoot and man it's performance with the 175 BBCs just plain leaves a lot of stuff in the dust as far as terminal performance.

:arrow: :? Scotty I'm glad to hear you donated your rifle to a great cause! Recoil is a ugly side effect that smaller projectiles and precision shot placement go together like butter on popcorn! Glad to hear you have a replacement 7mm MSM coming to your arms soon Scotty! :mrgreen:

longrangehunter":1cge94vd said:
:arrow: :? Scotty I'm glad to hear you donated your rifle to a great cause! Recoil is a ugly side effect that smaller projectiles and precision shot placement go together like butter on popcorn! Glad to hear you have a replacement 7mm MSM coming to your arms soon Scotty! :mrgreen:

It's got a big place in my arms room! I've shot enough to know I like it. Plus good Bullets. Makes it a great combo.

Back