progressive press

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
I have been looking at the Hornady AP press primarillary for loading 45 auto, 40S&W, 9mm and .223. Does any of to have any experience with this press.
I am also thinking of a Dillon but haven't researched it much.
Any thoughts on either presses would be much appreciated.

I have had the Dillon 550B for over ten years and believe it is the best on the market. I have worn out one part which they replaced for free. Excellent service and a true life time warranty.Rick.

I have the 550B and love it, bought it used and it was every bit as good as new. I've only ran about 500 rounds through it so far bit I would not be with out it.

DILLON.... I have also had it for over 10 years, never a problem. I remember putting it together, as i realized what each part was for, and how it worked- i was amazed at the ingenuity and simplicity. 10,000+ rds, I have replaced 2 primer tube tips. (sent free by the nice folks at Dillon).
You cant go wrong- good stuff! :grin:

Is it easy to change dies on the Dillon?
Can I use the dies I already have?

Use your current dies and mount them in a tool head, you may have to change the primer feed and/or the shell plate but nothing difficult.Rick.

Dillon as well here ! You can use your current dies and like mentioned above, they mount in a tool head. Tool heads purchased seperately for each caliber or set of dies you have.

NOTE: I'm not sure if anyone else has noted this, but I don't have as many tool heads as I have calibers. At times I will pull dies out of the tool head to put another set in. If switching from tool head to tool head you need to check OAL each time as it will change slightly???

I have been researching the Dillon line of progressive presses and have narrowed my choices down to the 550B or the XL650.
IF you are loading pistol ammo (45 acp) the powder drops through the flare die? Does that mean I will have to buy an additional die from Dillon for all pistol and rifle callibers?
Can I deprime in one station and resize in another? I have been thinking of getting some bushhing type size dies for some of my rifles. Or do I deprime on my single stage press.
Would I need the 5 station XL650 to use the bushing type size die.
Also do you guys that have Dillon presses have any troubles with powder spills. It seem like I always have to tap on the side of my powder funnel when I use powders like 4350 and 4831. I use alot of IMR 4831 and wonder if I will have problems with it. I Know that the SC powders will drop better but sometimes RL 19 gets stuck in the funnel.

I know .... way too many questions.

old #7 said:
I have been researching the Dillon line of progressive presses and have narrowed my choices down to the 550B or the XL650.
IF you are loading pistol ammo (45 acp) the powder drops through the flare die? Does that mean I will have to buy an additional die from Dillon for all pistol and rifle callibers?
Can I deprime in one station and resize in another? I have been thinking of getting some bushhing type size dies for some of my rifles. Or do I deprime on my single stage press.
Would I need the 5 station XL650 to use the bushing type size die.
Also do you guys that have Dillon presses have any troubles with powder spills. It seem like I always have to tap on the side of my powder funnel when I use powders like 4350 and 4831. I use alot of IMR 4831 and wonder if I will have problems with it. I Know that the SC powders will drop better but sometimes RL 19 gets stuck in the funnel.

I'll answer what I can for you, I use a Dillion 550B and only loaded pistol on it until this week and started loading 22-250, I think I will load my 3006 on it in the future instead of the single stage. You will have to buy caliber conversions for differetn calibers, some can be used for multiple cartridges (I believe).

In the 550B I don't think you can deprime and then resize in station two, since that is where the powder has to go in by the design of it, 650 might be the way to go there.

I can't answer on the bushing dies, I have no experience with them. But I just used Varget in my press and it did okay. I can see where longer excruded powders could "bridge" as Dilllion says in their manuel. I personally am not using the poweder drop but I'm hand weighing each and then pouring in the poweder when it's at the top of it's stroke.

I hope that helps some.

Corey

It seems like the more research I do comparing the Hornady to the Dillon the dumber I feel. I wish there were one of each down at the store to fart around with before buying one.
The 550b is manually fed and indexed with 4 stations, the 650 is auto indexed and auto fed with 5 stations.
The Hornady is manually fed, auto indexed with five stations and the option of auto feeding cases.
The major difference between the two is change over.
The Hornady press is a little newer on the market as far as I can tell and that makes it tougher to find someone with knowledge of the press.
The Hornady press has some nice features but, so does the Dillon.
I think I will buy another gun while I'm mulling it over. :grin: :wink: :grin:

You can't beat Dillon's No BS Waranty and tech help. Why don't you call Dillon on the phone and ask the above questions you asked here and see what kind of responses you get from them.

Corey

Back