Question about Nosler CC bullets expansion

clearwater

Handloader
Feb 5, 2005
How do the custom comp bullets react when they hit things? Do they fragment more or hold together and penetrate more than hunting bullets?

For example, is there less danger of ricochet with a CC than a big game bullet?

Could CC bullets be used for varmint hunting?

No help here yet,,,sorry. I have only shot paper so far.
But no question they will get use on long range prairie dogs.

Have tried them on deer. Stopped as there was too much meat damage. They are accurate tho.
Russ

onesonek":3b3b4dzg said:
No help here yet,,,sorry. I have only shot paper so far.
But no question they will get use on long range prairie dogs.

Little brother using 168s outta 308 and got a double last night and a T-post put an impressive number on the post but it appears as if they are just punching through. Very limited data so I could be wrong but that's what I've seen so far.

This might sound cruel, but I would probably put one through a prairie dog just to see what happened.

I wouldn't use one on anything I cared to recover in case of failure, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over a prairie dog.

The 52gr blow up nice on prarie dogs. Those and the Sierra Match kings are what everyone shot for p-dogs before everyone came out with all these fance plastic tipped bullets.

Antelope_Sniper":2aox1yjr said:
The 52gr blow up nice on prarie dogs. Those and the Sierra Match kings are what everyone shot for p-dogs before everyone came out with all these fance plastic tipped bullets.

What about yotes?
I am using two 52gr .224" bullets the berger 52HPV and the 52gr A-Max. It would be nice to know there might be a Nosler 52gr that would also work.
(223rem)

The Custom Competition bullets are not intended for hunting, just target shooting.
I would think the smaller calibers would work for varmints.

JD338

JD338":4p930hcr said:
The Custom Competition bullets are not intended for hunting, just target shooting.
I would think the smaller calibers would work for varmints.

JD338

I would agree.
I think the .22 cal. CC's will do ok on yotes. Anything larger, I seen some wierd stuff, not with the CC's as yet, but with other HP Match type bullets. Sometimes the nose folds and acts like a FMJ, other times it goes to pieces. Now either may work on yote, except the later will leave a 6" hole on the off side. If you aren't saving the hide, well,,,,your decision.
I'm not overly concern either way on the digger's.

I have never shot a deer or hog with the Nosler .30 cal CC bullets. I have done so with Sierra MK. I uspect the CC would perform the same as the Match Kings and shoot any deer deader than dead. That said, I would prefer an actual game bullet for hunting, but if my Garand was filled with 155 or 168 CC bullets and a deer came by I would shoot him with high confidence of killing him.

Back