Question for you Model 70 honchos

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
This is hypothetical... The question is:

Between a 2008 limited run Featherweight new in the box, or a transition era pre-'64 Standard in what appears to be pretty decent shape, which one would you go for? Prices are within $20. Both are the same chambering.

My own iteration of the FN production Featherweights (a .270 from the following year, 2009) is about as near to a perfect hunting rifle as I could dream up. Light, perfectly balanced, terrific fit and finish, and gorgeous looks. Despite its delicate appearance, though, it has stood more than its share of battle wounds. Rain. Snow. Hot. Cold. I have literally fallen on this rifle. Year after year, it keeps stacking 130 Partitions into nice tight clusters. About the only thing it doesn't have is that exquisitely simple Winchester trigger. Granted, the MOA works just fine, but it lacks the basic elegance of the older one. A couple other contemporary manufacturing cost savings, such as I think the extractor is pressed pot metal instead of machined. But the rest of the rifle also benefits from current technology, as evidenced by the groups this thing shoots. My biggest concern is that something will happen to it...

Planning to go look at the Standard this weekend to get a closer look and examine the bore, but the pictures look pretty good. It is over a full pound heavier than a modern Featherweight, and the pre-'64 action does not have a guide rail relief cut in the bolt, so the newer ones are generally a little slicker. Outside of that it is, as always, the rifleman's rifle. I made two changes to the pre-'64 I have now: normal sling swivel studs and hex socket head action screws. I'd likely make the same changes to this or any other future acquisition.

So there you go, have at it! :)

For the same price, I'll take the 2008 built rifle. The wood was select on those made during that initial run (I have three, and they are each gorgeous). I have several other rifles made since. They are worth the price, in my estimate.

I will take the distaff side of this discussion? I don't believe that the new Featherweights will hold their price premium. Whereas, the Pre-64 Model 70 is what it is pricewise? It will probably never be worth less than it is currently. As an example, I would love to have a Model 70 Featherweight chambered in 7x57 Mauser but I will never pay $1750 for it, no matter what the wood looks like. Not when I can buy a used Featherweight 7mm Mauser for $800.

Some dealer might give you $100 over the bid for the wood but not the extra $750. which they are currently asking for these special run calibers, nice wood or not? Just my opinion of course but I have been owning Model 70's since the mid-1960's and 30 years out, dealers are not going to pay that current premium for modern rifles. Just my opinion of course and I have a lot of respect for DrMike. So maybe others also have an opinion on this?

DrMike":2h87sck1 said:
For the same price, I'll take the 2008 built rifle. The wood was select on those made during that initial run (I have three, and they are each gorgeous). I have several other rifles made since. They are worth the price, in my estimate.

I would heeds DrMike's advice on this, his guns are very nice. Another thing in it's favor would be a pristine bore, an older pre '64 may or may not have barrel wear. Just something to think about.

What chambering are you looking at?

The 2008-2013 model 70's are better guns...maybe less nostalgic, maybe...but better.

I have no info on the newest ones...assembled in Portugal..but I have owned 3 model 70's that fall in that time frame (1 of the intro model Featherweights, and 2 from 2009)

The 2008 Featherweight is my wifes 270, it is a Featherweight Deluxe, nice wood but nothing really fancy... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28376

Thank you guys for your thoughts. I appreciate both sides; thus the dilemma. I agree that the newer production are great rifles. In fact, I was a pretty dyed-in-the-wool Remington 700 guy and bought my .270 out of sheer curiosity. I was so impressed with it that I bought a Sporter .338 the following year, just to grab another one before Winchester went and changed them or some other crazy stunt (like move them somewhere else :evil:). On the other hand, there's just something about those pre-'64s, and I'm kind of leaning with Charlie. Have to see how it looks in the flesh and what sort of shape the bore and riflings are in.

Gerry, these are in .270 and would complement my current Featherweight. Can't see that I'd go very far wrong either way; a matched pair of Featherweights, or my Featherweight and the Standard, 60 years senior.

I don't buy anything that I can not shoot and hunt with? If a rifle is too good to be hunted with, it is too good for me to own?

I'd go with the Pre-64 myself. I like the newer rifles, but a nicely kept Pre-64 is probably my favorite rifle. The handwork that went into them is something to really behold. The cut rifled barrels are usually very accurate as well. I know I constantly keep my eyes out for a Pre-64 Featherweight 270 Win. Have a plan in my head for one in the future. I adore the trigger system on the Pre-64's as well. Very easy to tune and just about the toughest set up you can buy.

Guy Miner":1k0589iq said:
Hunting/using or collecting?

Well, Guy, I have a nice little battery of Model 70s going with the .270, .30-06 and .338, but I don't consider it a real collection. Now Dr Mike, that guy has a collection! :grin: But either way, as Charlie and Scotty noted, I'd intend to hunt it.

Of course, another option is to sit on the cash and put it towards a hunt with the M70s I already have... :shock:

Hegland":tx9yinad said:
Of course, another option is to sit on the cash and put it towards a hunt with the M70s I already have... :shock:

That's the million dollar answer. I have sorta succumbed to the thoughts I have PLENTY of blasters and not enough hunting time with them. I still have WANT's for other rifles, but the NEED is not there. I do have the NEED to spend more time with them in the mountains though! :lol:

Either would suit you well without a doubt. Does the pre-64 have a 24" tube? If so I would go with that one...I personally feel that a 22" tube is too short for a .270.

Good luck!

Howdy Fellas,
Gotta say I'm with Scotty and Charlie on this one. There's something mystical about pre-64s and they'll always hold/increase their value. If you don't like the way it shoots, you can always pawn it off for around what you paid for it. A well used pre-64 is about as slick cycling as they come. The first pre-64 I fell into was a beat up standard grade in .270 Win and it just plain ol' shot. I've got other prettier rifles, but it sure is tough passing her up when I'm headed out to the field. She just screams: "PICK ME, PICK ME!" She's always delivered. Sounds like you've already got one of the newer manufacture FN M70s that's doing well for you too. Might be fun to try the rifle that built the current M70's reputation.
Take Care,
Joe

EOD Diver":2x16vh19 said:
Howdy Fellas,
Gotta say I'm with Scotty and Charlie on this one. There's something mystical about pre-64s and they'll always hold/increase their value. If you don't like the way it shoots, you can always pawn it off for around what you paid for it. A well used pre-64 is about as slick cycling as they come. The first pre-64 I fell into was a beat up standard grade in .270 Win and it just plain ol' shot. I've got other prettier rifles, but it sure is tough passing her up when I'm headed out to the field. She just screams: "PICK ME, PICK ME!" She's always delivered. Sounds like you've already got one of the newer manufacture FN M70s that's doing well for you too. Might be fun to try the rifle that built the current M70's reputation.
Take Care,
Joe

Man, Joe doesn't show up often, but when he does... Stand by! :lol:

As to the 22 vs 24" barrel for the 270. I'd be just fine with a 22" 270 Winchester. Might not be for some, but it would still get it done pretty easily. I'd like to have a Pre64 Featherweight then drop it into a McMillan Edge. Thinking it would be a 7.5lb all up sorta rifle that would be fast handling deer slayer. Don't need one, but I have the idea stuck in my head.. :grin:

All this talk about a "pre-64..." I may have to buy one just to be able to boast! Slick actions, to be sure. Not certain they are worth what people ask for them nowadays.

Sorry guys. Workload here is crazy, but I try to check in every now and then and love talkin' pre-64s! Working with some of your guys from 3rd MSOB on some stuff we've got going on here Scotty. They're good guys to work with. Your Edge stocked pre-64 idea sounds like a good one to me bud. Doc, be careful. There's something special about pre-64s. Hunting and shooting with a rifle from a different era is a lot of fun and it's a real slippery slope once you get started!
Take Care,
Joe

EOD Diver":3mxr1e30 said:
Doc, be careful. There's something special about pre-64s. Hunting and shooting with a rifle from a different era is a lot of fun and it's a real slippery slope once you get started!
Take Care,
Joe

Joe, I enjoy shooting some pretty old rifles (e.g. MkIV Lee Enfields, Ross Mdl 10 and Mdl R-10, etc.). I've handled some pre-64s, and they can be nice. I do appreciate the new products coming out of SC, however.

I think the pride of ownership is the main thing going for the pre 64. I've got two model 70 classics, one from New Haven the other from South Carolina. Both are really smooth actions and both shoot small groups. My NH 7mm rem mag is an outstanding shooter and can group both 160 accubonds and 175 partitions into the same group at 100 yds. My SC is a featherweight .270win and it will group 1/2" with 130 partitions at 3100 fps. And the .270 featherweight broke my very long mule deer jinx so its now the best rifle cartridge combination in the world. But then I pouted for several weeks over a pre 64 that I wanted so bad I couldn't sleep. But my conscience wouldn't let me alter the gun and in its original condition it couldn't easily mount a scope. The rifle was a .300 Magnum (pre H&H designation) and was made the year before the model 70 was introduced. It was in original condition and wasn't drilled for scope bases on the rear bridge. The rifle was a beauty but I just couldn't drop that kind of cash on a gun I couldn't hunt with often.

Back