Quick range trip 850 yards

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
6.5 Creedmoor GAP, 140 Hybrids, 42 grains H4350 and .090" off the lands, 3 shots @ 850 yards, wind was just a crawl. Grinned from ear to ear when I saw the 3rd splash and then came the ding. Still using Nosler brass and 13 firings on it. Out of the 50 piece lot, 2 primer pockets have been a little loose when I loaded the night before. Velocity is a nice 2790 fps average and the top hit was a cold bore shot, followed by two tight hits underneath it. Got to love that Kestrel.
Brought the .308 GAP as well, using Varget and 178 ELD-M's, i missed the plate by a few inches to the right, possibly because wind have picked up a little, so i added 3 clicks left, and it was on target, a cluster of 7 shots grouping around 3 inches with some mirage. Should have snapped a picture before I spray painted the plate again to try out the .22 Vudoo Ravage at 200 yards, but was in a hurry because the sun was beating down pretty bad. Added a target from 50, 100, and a ground pronged plate at 150, and the swinging plate at 200. Love that little Vudoo, shoots pretty well and still needs a little more breaking in, she has about 375 rounds down the tube with SK Standard ammo. I was using the hash marks instead of dialing in at 100 and 150 yards. Zeroed at 50, 6 MOA line at 100, 14 MOA line at 150 and the 200 yard line is not available, i only have 20 MOA hash marks on the ATACR, but dialed up only for 200 with 22.5 MOA. It's a piece of cake out to 150 yards, and 200 yards starts to get more challenging if there is wind. Will test different Lapua and SK ammo soon. Getting this little baby ready for some steel plate matches from 50 to 200.

Attachments

• creed.jpg
    creed.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
A thought just came into mind to avoid dialing for the .22 Vudoo out to 200 yards at future matches on steel, since I sighted in at 50, 6 MOA line at 100, 14 MOA line at 150 and then dial for 22.5 MOA for 200, just sight in at 100, and underhold for 50 yards using the hash marks above the center reticle for 50 yards, so I will have room using the lower hash marks for 200 yards without dialing the turrets, just don't like to mess with dialing too much in the matches. ;)

Attachments

• MOAR T.JPG
    MOAR T.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
A thought just came into mind to avoid dialing for the .22 Vudoo out to 200 yards at future matches on steel, since I sighted in at 50, 6 MOA line at 100, 14 MOA line at 150 and then dial for 22.5 MOA for 200, just sight in at 100, and underhold for 50 yards using the hash marks above the center reticle for 50 yards, so I will have room using the lower hash marks for 200 yards without dialing the turrets, just don't like to mess with dialing too much in the matches. ;)
Do you plan on dialing for wind?

6.5 Creedmoor GAP, 140 Hybrids, 42 grains H4350 and .090" off the lands, 3 shots @ 850 yards, wind was just a crawl. Grinned from ear to ear when I saw the 3rd splash and then came the ding. Still using Nosler brass and 13 firings on it. Out of the 50 piece lot, 2 primer pockets have been a little loose when I loaded the night before. Velocity is a nice 2790 fps average and the top hit was a cold bore shot, followed by two tight hits underneath it. Got to love that Kestrel.
Brought the .308 GAP as well, using Varget and 178 ELD-M's, i missed the plate by a few inches to the right, possibly because wind have picked up a little, so i added 3 clicks left, and it was on target, a cluster of 7 shots grouping around 3 inches with some mirage. Should have snapped a picture before I spray painted the plate again to try out the .22 Vudoo Ravage at 200 yards, but was in a hurry because the sun was beating down pretty bad. Added a target from 50, 100, and a ground pronged plate at 150, and the swinging plate at 200. Love that little Vudoo, shoots pretty well and still needs a little more breaking in, she has about 375 rounds down the tube with SK Standard ammo. I was using the hash marks instead of dialing in at 100 and 150 yards. Zeroed at 50, 6 MOA line at 100, 14 MOA line at 150 and the 200 yard line is not available, i only have 20 MOA hash marks on the ATACR, but dialed up only for 200 with 22.5 MOA. It's a piece of cake out to 150 yards, and 200 yards starts to get more challenging if there is wind. Will test different Lapua and SK ammo soon. Getting this little baby ready for some steel plate matches from 50 to 200.
Looks well dialed in to me👍

I just want you to be thinking about it-22lr drift like crazy, plus wind is much more than a horizontal problem...It is a vertical issue as well
Agreed, its nuts. .22 shooting is tougher than centerfires because of the poor BC and its a slow moving bullet, its a challenge and helps to learn to read the wind. I had remembered that missed a 8 inch plate at 200 yards last year when I was shooting a friend's CZ, winds was blowing left to right at 25 plus. Drift must have been over 30 inches.

Mark, just remember , this is a SFP scope . meaning the holdovers and windage amounts will change depending on what power the scope is set on . the reticle is only true at one magnification setting . I'm not sure what setting this is on this particular scope . on my 5.5 - 22 NXS the reticle is true at 22 power .the same reticle in my 8 - 32 NXS has a true reticle at 22 power . on this scope the true reticle is designated by an "R" on the magnification power ring .

Mark, just remember , this is a SFP scope . meaning the holdovers and windage amounts will change depending on what power the scope is set on . the reticle is only true at one magnification setting . I'm not sure what setting this is on this particular scope . on my 5.5 - 22 NXS the reticle is true at 22 power .the same reticle in my 8 - 32 NXS has a true reticle at 22 power . on this scope the true reticle is designated by an "R" on the magnification power ring .
Very good point, the ATACR 5-25 true reticle is at maximum which is 25X, I always leave it on at 25X. I don't even remember lowering the magnification at all.
Anyways, I'm curious on how true reticle works and how much MOA will change with certain magnifications for the ATACR 5-25 and 7-35, but can't seem to find that info this early in the morning, lol. Perhaps you might have something worth reading. Thanks Jim

Very good point, the ATACR 5-25 true reticle is at maximum which is 25X, I always leave it on at 25X. I don't even remember lowering the magnification at all.
Anyways, I'm curious on how true reticle works and how much MOA will change with certain magnifications for the ATACR 5-25 and 7-35, but can't seem to find that info this early in the morning, lol. Perhaps you might have something worth reading. Thanks Jim
One way is to test on grided 1" squares or true 1 MOA squares on paper.
When you cut your magnification in half of it's max it should double your reticle dimensions.
This is why I prefer a FFP reticle, so if I decide to use the reticle for vertical correction or for wind, I don't have to worry about the math or think about what magnification I am on.
Fixed position shooting on one target is easy to do, but when you are engaging multiple targets at different distances, under time and pressure, I prefer using a lower magnification, to increase my field of view, both for better spotting of impacts and getting back on target after recoil (Centerfire) and or finding the next target.
E

Mark , I don't have anything to read on this . I looked around online trying to find an article for you to read , but found nothing . Ernie is correct , half the power , doubles the reticle amount . using a grid target would be the best way to figure this out . if the 5 - 25 scope is true at 25 power , I'm assuming the 7 - 35 scope is also true at 25 power . look at the power ring on your scope , to see if there is an "R" on it . this would designate a true reticle .

on my 8 - 32 NXS the reticle is a true 1 MOA at 22 power . by setting the scope at 11 power , it's now 2 MOA . by setting the power at 16.5 power it's 1.5 MOA . I do this 16.5 power when I shoot 2375 yards . it gives me enough elevation to reach the target , and it gives me a little more magnification to see the target better . my next scope for my long range rifle will be a FFP scope , with lots of elevation .

Mark , I don't have anything to read on this . I looked around online trying to find an article for you to read , but found nothing . Ernie is correct , half the power , doubles the reticle amount . using a grid target would be the best way to figure this out . if the 5 - 25 scope is true at 25 power , I'm assuming the 7 - 35 scope is also true at 25 power . look at the power ring on your scope , to see if there is an "R" on it . this would designate a true reticle .

on my 8 - 32 NXS the reticle is a true 1 MOA at 22 power . by setting the scope at 11 power , it's now 2 MOA . by setting the power at 16.5 power it's 1.5 MOA . I do this 16.5 power when I shoot 2375 yards . it gives me enough elevation to reach the target , and it gives me a little more magnification to see the target better . my next scope for my long range rifle will be a FFP scope , with lots of elevation .
Thanks for a better clarification!
I forgot to pay attention to what actual scope he was using, other than it was a NF.
It should have that "R" on it, if it is a SFP
* Signified by an “R” on power zoom ring

RiflescopePower setting
5.5-22x22x
8-32x22x*
5-25x ATACR™25x

Jim, the new ATACR 7-35 x 56 SFP I purchased last month does not have any letter R on it or any of my ATACR 5-25 x 56 for some reason. It says to adjust focus at the highest magnification which is 25X and 35 X for the new scope, so is the true reticle at those magnifications? I haven't been concerned about this all those years since I always left it on the highest magnification.

Ernie, Strange I don't see an R anywhere on any of the ATACR's i have. Yes, the 25 X is the setting on my 5-25's. I have printed several graph sheets with 1 inch squares to give me an idea of different magnification settings on paper, of course 1 MOA equals to 1.047". I sent an email to Nightforce on more information on the 7-35 and about the " R " that is not located on the power zoom rings on the ATACR's, since there aren't much information about the newer 7-35's on their website.

Thanks Jim and Ernie for bringing it to my attention.

Back