R33 experiences; 240 &257 Bees

frankm

Handloader
May 10, 2009
Anyone tried R33 in 240 or 257 WB with heavy bullets? I ve had good luck with R26 but friend just did some testing with R33 in 6-280 AI wildcat and getting great velocity, accuracy and 95-100% case fill.

Thx for any experiences.

Frank, here are the numbers I got with 33 using the 120 Partitions in my Brothers 257 Wby. His usual load was 25, but decided to try 33 on a whim... it’s fast.

Scotty, that is moving! Looks like 77.8 to 78.0 might be a node. Did you stop at 78.4 due to pressure or seen no reason for more speed? That a 24 or 26” barrel?

Thx Bud

frankm":1xhs9fkj said:
Scotty, that is moving! Looks like 77.8 to 78.0 might be a node. Did you stop at 78.4 due to pressure or seen no reason for more speed? That a 24 or 26” barrel?

Thx Bud

I believe we used 78.0 as the center of the node. His rifle is an older 24" Vanguard. I believe I stopped there since it seemed like plenty of speed for the 120 Partition. Also, of note, I believe that was using reformed WW 7mm Rem Mag brass (which works like a champ).

This target is a horribly marked target. We’d just put a new scope on it. The single shot was the first shot after mounting it up, next three went side by side. Then we were cranking it up to get it roughly to 2” high at 100 yards in pairs. But the load does shoot real well.

With the EDGE fill Sako Classic on the Vanguard it’s a really nice package.

So far just the 6.5 Bee.

The 257 and the 240 really shine with RL26 but have not tried RL33

RL-33 works well in the 257 WBY , but it has some draw backs.
1- muzzle blast it bad B8B48562-9CA7-4551-A2CF-7EEA5D1E6E92.jpeg
2- Will give you a compress load if you are looking at that
I would suggest finding an old blue bag of Winchester 7mm Rem Mag brass and just resize them in a full length die. 257 WBY is a great cartridge , their brass not so much.

RL338":3huy22p8 said:
RL-33 works well in the 257 WBY , but it has some draw backs.
1- muzzle blast it bad
2- Will give you a compress load if you are looking at that
I would suggest finding an old blue bag of Winchester 7mm Rem Mag brass and just resize them in a full length die. 257 WBY is a great cartridge , their brass not so much.

I bet if they “see the light”, it doesn’t matter much to the recipient anyhow :mrgreen:

Scottie, your right about not having time too see the light :) lol

I m running Weatherby brass in my 257... do you have case capacity comparison vs 7RM WW brass ran through F/L die ?? That is very appealing cost wise!!

frankm":3jopxuat said:
Scottie, your right about not having time too see the light :) lol

I m running Weatherby brass in my 257... do you have case capacity comparison vs 7RM WW brass ran through F/L die ?? That is very appealing cost wise!!

I don't Frank, I will ask my little brother to measure one up though. I am in Virginia and he is in NY.

I haven’t measured internal volume yet as the case necks are shorter. My cases on average are 2.495” vs 2.539” trim length. Once fired 2.500”. Might be along time before trimming.
1CE972C0-65C0-4577-AA32-CC42BEBE12ED.jpeg
I load Hornady 120gr HP to book length of 3.300” and you can see it’s a little short. The case on the right is once fired and the shoulder has the nice Weatherby radius.

264 brass may even be a little easier, but it is a piece of cake to acquire 7 Rem brass from just about everywhere.

Back