Range Day .308 win

skidmark

Beginner
Oct 27, 2013
It was such a nice day today I felt compelled to shoot
the .308 at the range. Most of the guys are younger with
better rifles but this old man shot a few groups
with my Remington SPS. Match Kings made me look good.
And how about those 165 NPs I use for hunting...5 shots not to shabby.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,377
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,377
Not only was it a Remington, but it was wearing a Leupold!! :grin: :grin: Very nice shooting. Some folks have been giving Leupold grief over quality and such, but I sure have been happy with mine!!

That is some fine shooting, the SPS models are a great value. It is really nice when you get groups like that, just a ragged hole :)

Excellent group. Fine shooting. Must be pretty good load development too!

Good shooting. I do like those SPS's. They shoot pretty good just out of the box.
Russ

One ragged hole with 165 PT,s is impressive. I,m amazed at how well the PT will shoot with a little work.

I bought The SPS cause they were on sale with a rebate that put the gun
around 400$ a few years ago, my brother game me his old B&C Medalist
when he upgraded stocks I also had the scope a VX111 4.5x14x50
from a previous gun, a set of Talleys and I was set. It did not take long
to develop a load with Varget. This is the Sierra SGK 165sp with the same
load data as I run in the SMK's. This is the only Remington I own as I was always
under the impression they were rather sloppy and cheaply built...however
I was very wrong. Skid

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,537
Looks like a bunch of fun! Those SPS rifles may not look like much, but they do shoot. There are probably four or five that found their way into the group of old college roommates I shoot prairie dogs with, and I think I've loaded for all of them at some point. Very un-picky rifles. One of the guys just picked up another one chambered in .300 WM, and factory Winchester soft points went under an inch.

Good work!

It looks very similar to mine and shoots as well. They are a great rifle, I did replace the trigger in mine because the sear was not exactly consistent. If you notice it also has a Leopold scope. These little Remingtons do shoot well.

Skidmark what was your load. I am loading the Nosler CC 168 gr. with 44 grains of Varget. The right hand group was shot with a magnum primer and Laupa case, and the left with a Federal match case, with a standard primer.
PIC_0033.JPG
PIC_0205.JPG

44.5 varget @2.800 with 165 SGK & SMK BR2 primers
Win. Cases. 44.0 Varget@2.80 165NP same primer and case.
Have you Chronoed you load ? Mine are slower than 2600
according to mine. Also the rifle does not shoot well clean
It shoots best 4 or 5 rounds fouled. Also very impressive shooting
on your part.

skidmark":711pg3f8 said:
44.5 varget @2.800 with 165 SGK & SMK BR2 primers
Win. Cases. 44.0 Varget@2.80 165NP same primer and case.
Have you Chronoed you load ? Mine are slower than 2600
according to mine. Also the rifle does not shoot well clean
It shoots best 4 or 5 rounds fouled. Also very impressive shooting
on your part.

I run with my 20" barrels and 44-grains around 2675 and 45-I average 2725. both are very accurate but the AR10 prefers a little slower or the 44-grains. My ugly Savage is silly accurate!

Guys that is some fine shooting, varget sure looks like the go to powder for the 308win.
I personally have never had a Remington rifle not shoot well. The only problem I had with them is their triggers but that is likely just me :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

Skidmark Have you Chronoed you load ? Mine are slower than 2600
according to mine.
I do not have a crony, but I an guessing about the same based on ballistics. I am going to fiddle with the Lapua cases just a little more when my mobility improves. I am thinking I can still get a little tighter group.

Elkman,skidmark,
I am getting 2656 to 2664 with the 44 grains Varget and Nosler 168's also. We got 5-sps's, 4-sig716's, 1- custom, 1-ruger and 1 Howa to shoot this load. We all like this combo.
Russ

Russ
Thanks for the info, I think I stated that my ballistic's profile seems to show 2600. Your info certainly supports the theory that they will shoot. !!!!

Back