Range Day 9.3x74R.

Pat, if you can find a .30-06 Model 54, that would be a perfect setup to make into a 9.3x62 or even a 9.3x64 Brenneke. DrMike has a Brenneke but he has not killed anything big with it yet. It did dump a whitetail, DRT though. Most Model 54's are not original anymore anyway, so redoing them is not a crime and they would make a bitching 9.3, in fact the original ones were chambered for the 9.3x57. One of those would cost too much though!

You are right on Scotty, a 250 gr, 9.3 AB at 2400 fps would be a good woods elk rifle. I have a bunch of 286 gr Norma's that I got cheaply which I can easily load to 2400 and save my AB's and PTs for longer range at 2500 fps because the AB has a .494 BC index. Anyhow, either way I will come up with an accurate load for both circumstances. It is nice to just have a hammer around. The German's used the 9.3x74R double rifles on dangerous game in German Southwest Africa a hundred years ago.

I always read and heard the 9.3 was the German 375 of the day. I actually like the 9.3 caliber more than a 375. Seems like in the available weights, the 9.3's have better SD AND BC for the bullet weights sold.

I think it's probably why we all fight over the 338 and 358's though. Either way, your right, having a big thumper around is pretty good for our souls Charlie. I'm hoping you'll get a chance to smoke an elk with it. Plus, having that kinda venison in your freezer wouldn't be a bad thing either.

In my condition, having a thumper kind of makes me feel that I may have a chance at being "normal" again for awhile and be able to actually use the 9.3 on an elk! Hope springs eternal....

Oldtrader3":alc8u5ku said:
In my condition, having a thumper kind of makes me feel that I may have a chance at being "normal" again for awhile and be able to actually use the 9.3 on an elk! Hope springs eternal....

Yes sir. If anything, I imagine you are having a good time out on the range!

I really do Scotty. I go out there and just relax and let the shooting juices flow. There is usually a couple of old geezers like me if I want to talk, if not, I just sit there and shoot, competing only against myself.

I know the feeling Charlie. Range time is always great in my book too. Love to shoot and it rests me a little.

Once a soldier (grunt) always a soldier, I guess Scotty, at least it works for me too.

Charlie

Very nice groups, you should be set up for pretty much anything in the NW, including Coastal Black tail. All kidding aside its ready to hunt. !!!!!

A couple more powders to try, IMR 3031 and Reloader 15 have worked pretty well in my 9,3x62. I haven't shot anything big yet but I did shoot a pretty good sized whitetail buck last fall with the Speer 270 grainer, he didn't go far!

Well Charlie,

In this case, I think "age" is more of an asset vice liability. That's a hefty cartridge and one heck of a group.

You are definitely not intimidated by it, that's for sure. Take care,

Back