Range Day with the M70's and 35 Whelen

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I got out with the 264 today. Using the 140 BT. I had a bunch of stepped loads with IMR7828SSC and RL25.

Let me say first off, I forgot the chrono.. Being it was a public range, I didn't wanna turn around and figured I would just shoot for accuracy today. I know there would be plenty of speed with anything that turns in decent groups.

7828 didn't turn in much that was really decent. It also started showing signs of pressure pretty early. I am sure it would be decent, but I just stopped at 65 grains and went on to RL25

67 RL25

FD0BAFDC.jpg

F7883AA3.jpg

8BB88F88.jpg

7D678A1F.jpg

I had quite a few of the two in close and then the 3rd getting spit out.. At least I have a place to work with it now. This is the closest I have been in awhile with this rifle of having a decent, pressure free load and a place to work.. I will probably work again from 67.5 to 68.5 in .3 charge intervals and see what comes out of them.. Then I will mess with the seating a little.

I shot the 338 to verify the 200 AB load of 76.5 RL19, CCI250, WW cases. It runs right at 3000 and seems to be pretty consistent. Any three shots not clustered in tight is more me than the rifle I think..

Such as this one

BD62780E.jpg

Here is a decent one

8A7DAA7F.jpg

This was the first group outta the rifle with the fouler marked on there

B4A688CF.jpg

I also got some time with my boys 7x57 Featherweight. It really seems to wanna shoot, but the trigger registers about 5lbs on my gauge, so I am thinking with a little trigger work it should tighten up some more. As long as I shoot it slow, it is turning in decent groups with the 160 PT and RL19

First group w/fouler 50.5gr RL19

C3EA7B1E.jpg

51.0 RL19 w/ fouler

DDBECF40.jpg

51.5 RL19

F64CC6CD.jpg

I tried to clean between the groups to see if it was sensitive to fouling, but in hindsight, I should have just shot it. It was bare metal clean when I started... It is going to shoot fine with some trigger work on it. It does super with 140 BT's, so I think the PT's are pretty close and the last time I shot it with lower charge weights it was running around 2600, so I am guessing high 2600's to mid 2700's with this bullet..

I also did a little sight adjustment with the Whelen. Gotta say though, I wasnt' on my A-Game with it, I was shooting the 45-70 at the same time, so I think I was being a little chicken. Even though my 35 Whelen feels like a 22 compared to the 45-70 with full steam loads!

First group outta a clean barrel

5B35924B.jpg

2nd

FC22D01F.jpg

3rd

C4A9B699.jpg

This load is RL15, the 225 AB, CCI250's and RP brass. It runs about 2750 from my last time out. Plenty fast and more than accurate. I have a feeling if I really sat down with it, I could clump them a little closer!

Anyhow, I had a great day out today. Hoping to get down to Brian's and do some long shooting. I wanted to verify my 7WSM with the 160's as last time they shot horrible.. The load was made up with Red Tipped 160 AB's 2nds, and the last time I used 160 AB 1st's and they were all over the place. The ogive or something is different as they were coming out longer than the 2nds. Well, this time around I seated them to the exact same COAL as the red tipped AB's.. They shot better, but not the bug holes I am used to from the 7WSM.. Gotta investigate a little and see what the deal is. Might have to rework the load some, but it is kinda heartbreaking as the RedTipped 160 AB's shot some very awesome groups for me..

The 264 shows some promise. The 338 is where you want it. That would be quite a punch at 3000 fps with that 200 grain pill. The 7X57 definitely shows promise. And the Whelen just keeps on spitting 'em out. It looks like a productive day at the range, Scotty.

Nice doing Scotty!..good shooting buddy :twisted: ..those are all kill shots for sure..Lou :wink:

Looks like you're getting a handle on that 264. Like you say, some OAL tweaking should get you there. Your 338WM just shoots! Nice to see it offers you that luxury with a few loads. With its versatility it provides you the opportunity to sell that Whelen and shop for a Win M70 or something you're really pining for. I think you should re-address that in the late summer when I will have free cash... :grin:

I'm with ya concerning the FWT. Shoot slow and be patient. Just a matter of time.

Nice trigger work Bud.

Thanks fellers, they are starting to come together. I will vary the charge on the 264 by .3gr's in between my two most accurate and then start goofing with seating depth.

I also spoke with Mike Harris at Nosler last night concerning the difference in the 160 AB 2nds and 1st's. He asked me to box up five of the new ones and a few of the red tipped ones. I measured them and they ran 1.114 and the red ones were 1.102". Looking at them, you can visually see the ogive is different and my current load that shoots so well at around 1/2 to 3/4" pretty easily with the red tipped bullet will only shoot about 1-1.5" with the white tipped AB's..

I hate having to rework loads..

Even tho my eyes are dimming, those look like great groups specially with the 35, 338 and the 70, not much to improve there. I see a minute of elk in every shot. Great day!!

Me to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But you are better at it than I !

I am going to get out today for a little while with the 264WM and try some smaller variances to see what pops out..

I also loaded a few test batches with the 160 AB's for the 7WSM. I shortened them .010" at a time. Hoping to get them shooting the way they did with the 2nds.

I will take the 270WSM along and verify it. It might make its way down to the 600 yard range on Sunday.. If that thing shoots screwy, I know the world has flipped over as it is kind of old faithful and always shoots well!

SJB358":3bk4cqvc said:
Thanks fellers, they are starting to come together. I will vary the charge on the 264 by .3gr's in between my two most accurate and then start goofing with seating depth.

I also spoke with Mike Harris at Nosler last night concerning the difference in the 160 AB 2nds and 1st's. He asked me to box up five of the new ones and a few of the red tipped ones. I measured them and they ran 1.114 and the red ones were 1.102". Looking at them, you can visually see the ogive is different and my current load that shoots so well at around 1/2 to 3/4" pretty easily with the red tipped bullet will only shoot about 1-1.5" with the white tipped AB's..

I had the same problem with some 257 120 pt seconds i picked up.
I had to seat them .120" deeper since the ogive was so different.
totally different bullet then i get from local stores.

The load rework is never truly finished as the throat erodes with each firing. That is part of the mystery of hand loading, as well as part of the fascination. Nothing is static.

velvetant":2mw32xwc said:
SJB358":2mw32xwc said:

I had the same problem with some 257 120 pt seconds i picked up.
I had to seat them .120" deeper since the ogive was so different.
totally different bullet then i get from local stores.

Well shoot, maybe I will keep pushing them in and see what I get?

Back