Range Day

Elkman

Handloader
Apr 4, 2010
A couple of weeks ago we had a bright sunny windless day, and as I haven't been shooting much I grabbed my .308 Remington Tactical and set up prone, with a rear bag and bipod on my new shooting mat and tried a few shots. I was using the 168 gr. Nosler CC, with 43.5 gr. of RL-14 WW Cases, with CCI large rifle primer with an AOL of 2.785. This was my best of 4 different groups, all hovering around 2 inches.
2016 feb rangeday.jpg
The distance was 300 yards and group size 1.1 inch.

Nice shooting. I need to pick up a box of those next time the pro shop has them cheap. BN

However, you consistently missed the quarter, Bill. :shock:

Oh, yeah, that'll do when it comes to elk. (y)

Mike
Next time I will have to move the quarter, I was very happy with this load combination, my best group at 100 yards is .131, so its pretty consistent. Right from the box, no modifications.

Nothing wrong with either the load or the shooter, Bill. It has worked in the past; and it will not doubt serve you well in the future.

Bill, that is some fine shooting :wink:. I was wondering have you ever used the Nosler Comp bullet for hunting purposes and if so what kind of terminal performance resulted?
With that kind of accuracy at 300 yards the animals would like be DRT (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Nice shooting Bill!
No complaints about that one.

JD338

Elkman":3mpzdxqo said:
Mike
Next time I will have to move the quarter,

Yep - Had a similar problem with a dime:

4980Target_270_100yd_DimeSize1_022402.jpg

Good looking dime. :mrgreen: However, not a collectible. I have some targets like that. :grin: Just yanking your chain.

Dandy groups Ray, that rifle is a keeper. How far were u shooting? I am using my cell phone and challenged to move around in the scree. The words are very tiny!

Elkman":1sy0ksdv said:
Dandy groups Ray, that rifle is a keeper. How far were u shooting? I am using my cell phone and challenged to move around in the scree. The words are very tiny!

Hi Elkman.

Really didn't mean to hi-jack your thread. Was just playing with that comment of yours regarding the coin. But if there's anything I can help with I'll try.

There's 3 shots under each dime.
1st target was shot at 100 yards - 2nd at 200.

Ray, you hijacked nothing. Sharing is part of this forum and it's always great seeing great groups from shooters. Under a dime is fantastic. I have another group from this rifle at 100 yards off the bench that measures .131. It's consistent, and will clearly do better than I can shoot.

Joel, shoulder is good, I will be moving up to the 300 WM when I get back north. We will see how it goes!!

Back