Range day

Elkman

Handloader
Apr 4, 2010
Over the last couple of days I have been field checking my range cards for my 300 WM and 7MM magnums. I had not shot the 300 in over a year and the 7mm load was developed in a couple of weeks between two hunts last fall. Yesterday at 300 yards the 300 Managed two sub three inch groups although slightly to the left. The 7 hovered around the 3.5 inch size also to the left, a scope correction on the 7, moved the impact point 4 inches to the right of center so I quit. for the day. Today at 425 the 300 started with a sub 4 inch group and with a small adjustment put the next three dead center at 2, 7, and 11 oclock, at 4.25 inches. The 7 managed a 4.5 inch group still slightly to the right. The wind was behind me and increasing. I was worried that the sidehill the target was on, was receiving some vortex winds so I again shut down for the day. I will retest the 7 again the next time the weather permits, then move both out to 625. I was shooting off a pad with a bipod, about 50 feet from the house. Not great groups but an elk would have not walked away from anyone of the shots.

Sounds like a good time Bill. I didn't get to go this morning but will tomorrow morning. I have to do some short range testing with the 6.5x47L the wife's going to shoot and the 168's I got from you in my 7-300wm. After that I'll stretch the legs on my 300wsm. I'll probably shoot 5-600yd steel. I have to finish my other target stand for 700+yd steel but I'll do that next week.

sounds like you're about ready , and the seaon will be here before to long . I feel if you can keep the groups about 1 MOA your doing great for hunting . I've been getting ready for hunting too . walking almost daily , hitting the range some , and also hunting some groundhogs .I shoot from field positions . they are good practice , range finding , dialing the scope and waiting for the shot . I wish I could find a area with a better population .

Those groups sound just fine in my book. Kill with confidence with those groups.

I did fine with the 300, I bought a PAST pad last year and used it yesterday for both rifles. I feel that I won't have any problems in the field with recoil. I have shot numerous times at that range and expected groups around 3+ inches. But I have the same feeling that if every shot had been placed properly, they would have made a clean kill. I shouldn't fuss over an inch. They both will get the job done.

Nothing wrong with moa groups and it sounds like both rifle are right there Bill. When I hit moa or slightly less I'm done messing with load development and it's time to practice shooting at ranges I feel comfortable.

Sounds like a great day buddy. That old 300 and the 7 will get it done all day long, but heck you already knew that!

I just loaded up some Mashburn rounds and 338 stuff as well. Soon as we get a little break from the heat I'm heading to shoot.

Back