Range Report NIB JW-15 with BSA 22 Scope and T44 Arisaka

JLC0311

Beginner
Aug 1, 2012
I snagged a NIB Jw-15 off of auctionarms for $100 shipped. It might be a Norinco but it was a well made copy of the CZ and just as accurate. Being NIB even though they haven't been imported for a long while was really cool too. I had been looking for a deal on a 22 like this as a cheap to shoot practice deer rifle.

I went with the BSA Sweet 22 Adj Obj scope as I didn't want to through a lot of cash into it and the scope comes with 3 calibrated elevation dials for 36 gr, 38 gr, and 40 gr 22LR that are to be sighted in at 50 after which the can be quickly adjust all the way out to 175 yards. Kinda like an economy CDS. For the $40 plus rings from Sportsmans Guide it was a deal. Not a Leupold but for a 22LR scope has very clear glass and easy adjustments.

Sight in at 25 because of the lack of a 50 at my range and was about 8 inches low. I was thinking that wouldn't be a problem getting me on paper at 100 with the dial. After 50 rounds had to get a spotter to see where the heck I was impacting at. I was getting a little frustrated. Another 20 rounds and I was hitting the 9 ring on my DirtyBird target that highlights your impacts.

I was now getting 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards which for a 22LR I am very content with. The only problem is that the dial is not set at 100, its at 165 yards using the Federal 36 grain Jacketed HP 525 round Value Pack. But a good zero is a zero, I just can't use the dial the way it was intended. For the money involved I'm just going to keep using it as is now that I can hit where I want at 100.

Next up is to start working it with the lifesize Whitetail deer paper targets I picked up. Sorry not pics as it started to rain. My fault, earlier I had rinsed all the road grime off my Tundra, it never fails to rain after that.

The Type 44 Arisaka I stole off of Gunbroker while deployed last year for $450. No mum but really clean and all original. After my only 3 rounds through it I now know why it had a Buy Now of only $425 plus 25 shipping. I was using factory Hornady 129gr SST in 6.5x50mm and all 3 rounds backed out the primers. Still a really cool calvary carbine but I want one that I can shoot. At least they stayed in the 7 ring on a DPS Blue Torso target which was all I was expecting but with headspace issues I'm not going to put anymore through it.

Jimmy

Back