Range trip w/my son & .257 Wby.

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Short range trip with my son today - to test the first handloads I've made for the 60+ year old Weatherby/Mauser. He did a good job with it, testing two different 100 gr handloads, and some handloaded 115 gr Nosler Partitions as well.

I was unsure about the 115 Noslers, because the old rifles sometimes had a slow twist that worked best with shorter bullets, but the old rifle put three of them into about a 1.25" group. He was resting the rifle on a hunting backpack. Fairly mild load, only turning up 3060 fps mv.

The 100 gr Hornady, and the 100 gr Barnes TSX both churned up about 3200 fps, with reasonable accuracy, but it looks like the 115's shoot better. Will take a little more testing to see for sure. There's a lot more velocity available, but this was the first time I'd loaded for this rifle in at least 25 years, maybe 30 or more... I really can't remember loading for it after college - and that was a long time ago! Dad never really had a "pet load" for it, he didn't use it much. Grandpa may have had a special load, but I'll be darned if I know what it was and he passed away 40+ years ago. Likely the same powder & bullets aren't available anymore anyway.

Also had the .300 WSM along, with some 165 grain hunting bullets, Nosler Ballistic Tips & Partitions, both at about 3100 fps. They shot okay, but nowhere near as good as the 190 gr Berger VLD's...

It was good to see my son shooting the old rifle well, and I'm proud of his marksmanship as well as his gun safety. At 19 he's no super-hunter, but he is a competent hunter & rifleman. Nice to see.

We dropped the rifle off at the gunsmith on the way home. It needs a few updates:
1. New recoil pad. It's just got a hard buttplate, and that slips around on the shoulder quite a bit.
2. Timney trigger & safety. The old safety is difficult to use, and the trigger pull is no treat.
3. Possibly glass bed & free float... The smith and I will talk more on that after he takes a look at how it's bedded now. I've had the rifle apart, and it's simple metal-to-wood, but fairly well done. We'll make the call on the glass bed & free float job after he looks it over.

Meanwhile, I'm going to load up some more of those 115 Noslers, over a little more powder, looking for 3200 fps with good accuracy. Today, everything in both rifles, was loaded with H4350.

Regards, Guy

Sounds great, Guy. The 115 grain PT will be a great bullet for that cartridge. Shooting off a pack, your son did very well indeed. Congratulations to him. The upgrades you have planned should make it much more pleasant to shoot.

Guy -

Good deal ! Hopefully the 115's will work for you.
Inch and a half off a pack isn't shabby at all - Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Any IMR7828 on hand ?

Sounds good, Guy. I can't wait to teach Little Man (my son) how to shoot. I guess I'll need to be a little patient, as he just turned 1.

Guy, that sounds like a great shooting rifle. 1.25 off a pack is pretty good and that 115 at 3K is still pretty awesome really. Hopefully it gets tighter as you crank up the juice. Are you going to try some Accubonds or heavier PT's out of your 300WSM? 3100 with 165's is a pretty deadly load too. Sounds like you are going to have your Summer full of shooting with the boy. Scotty

Yes, I've got some 200 gr Accubonds and also some 200 grain Partitions. Since the rifle shoots 190 & 210 Bergers so well, I'm hoping it likes the heavy Noslers too.

I am still waiting to strike on some 200gr PT's or Accubonds when SPS releases some of them. I think if I could make the 200gr PT's shoot well from my 300 Win Mag, I wouldn't mess with it, ever again! Scotty

What the barrel twist in your Mauser .257 Bee? Is it 1 in 12, a lot of the older .25's were slower twist, especially if they were a rebored .257 Roberts. Glad that you are getting good results out of the old rifle it is nice to have an heirloom like that for your children to learn on. My grandkids are shooting my 6.5x55 CZ 550 for learning on.

I am a little curious about your rifle.
Is it marked southgate ca, anywhere ? You may know this aready but many of the early wetherby rifles were buits on FN actions in southgate ca.
Not really sure here but I think the slow twist weatherbys were maded in germany on MKV actions.
...tj3006

Yeah, I'm going to have to measure the twist - rifle is still at the gunsmith's place, so that will wait a bit.

Not marked "Southgate" anywhere that I can see. All I have for it being a Southgate Weatherby is Grandpa's word for it when I was a kid, and Dad's testimony as well. Grandpa was using it as a ground-squirrel rifle in .257 Roberts, and decided he'd like more zip, so he sent it off to the new guy he'd heard about, Roy Weatherby. This was likely in the late 1940's. Dad told me 1947, but there's no paperwork at all with the old rifle. I do have the old dies and a box of ancient .257" hollow point 100 gr bullets from an unknown maker. Also have some of Grandpa's original .300 H&H brass.

Interesting, when I was a little kid, Grandpa, Dad and the guys would haul me out to a ranch outside of Lincoln California for hunting. We'd pop ground squirrels at pretty amazing distances. Sometimes with the then-new Weatherby, sometimes with Grandpa's .219 Zipper on a High Wall action. Sometimes other stuff. These guys shot skeet & trap together, shot .22 matches, shot their .30-06 rifles in NRA across-the-course competition, and hunted together. They worked, and they shot, hunted & fished. I miss those old guys, Dad is about the last of them, and he's in his 80's now. Still hunting and fishing though.

Regards, Guy

Guy,

Still a neat story. And congratulations to your dad who is still hunting and fishing. May God give him many more years to enjoy the outdoors.

Back