Really???

Didn't think it was going to be good when hodgdon bought western powders. And yes Bidenomics is working. Don't know for who.
It doesn't help that Norma powders seem to also have been stopped from being imported.

A local GS guy told me they had to pay retail price for the powder they received from their supplier a couple days ago.

Like I said, -shooting themselves in the foot. Or maybe just giving in to those forces who would have us stop shooting altogether.....

Well, at 85 years of age, I most likely won't be around too much longer. That's the bads news. However, I still haave enough components on hand that I'll croak long before I run out. I never "hoarded" components but when I saw a great deal? I'd jump on it with two feet like right now. For a long time I'd check the want ads on the various gun sites I go to and if I saw something I could use snapped it up. I have quite a few bullets that are hard to get right now. If I knew just how much longer I might hang around I could unload some but I just don't know.
Paul B.

I read somewhere that the supply of nitrocellulose is getting to be quite short due rti military usage. Ammo companies not having government contracts are literal S.O.L or having to pay very high prices tostay i business. Think of all the ammo going to the Ukraine.
Paul B.
This is why Biden doesn’t want the war in Ukraine to end. This fits their narrative to gun control , eliminate ammo or the ability to load your own ammo.

There has been a war somewhere for the 20th and the 21st centuries that I can recall. (Korea, Indochina, Vietnam, India/Pakistan/East Pakistan, Middle East/Israel, Irag, Afghanistan, and so on. Yet we always managed to have reasonable prices and supplies. Covid empowered many companies to inflate prices. I never called out the small retailers, because I do not know what they pay for supplies. The manufacturers on the other hand are a different sotry. We see it in everything the "government" does not consider a "necessity" and that is why they get away with it. I am not a hoarder, I have anough for me and my kids to hunt for a few years, but I will in no way support these companies.

I recently read (can't remember the source so I can cite it) that the problem is nitrocellulose, a key component of powder. Two main suppliers are Russia and China. Russia, of course, is using much of what it makes for it's own military and not exporting much, especially to NATO countries. China is mad at NATO, too, for it going against Russia, so they aren't exporting as much and they have raised the price on what they do.

At the same time, companies are getting contracts for ammo, artillery shells, etc, for governments and since that's where the money is, they are putting much of their supplies towards that end.

The end result is increasing prices all around for ammo and powder, and dwindling amounts.

Ron

I have just read where Ukraine has received a very substantial order of small arms ammunition along with the bigger rounds. I'm figuring this is where all of our components are heading to. We are on the tail end of receiving anything left over and it does not look good.

It’s only price gouging IF we make a purchase from them.

I ve said no and have been finding other powder alternatives, surplus pull down, etc. Guess what, I can still shoot without being totally robbed on powder pricing. I hope others consider doing the same so the wholesalers and retailers get the point we re not going to continue to let them rape us. Ditto on bullets; I ve been shooting more of the old standard cup and core soft points… don’t need to pay twice as much for a high bc, plastic tip gizmo for my shooting that’s point blank to 300-400 yards. (For LR shooting, sure, I ll have a few)

Hang on for the bumpy ride guys but remember we vote with what components we buy and ultimately with “our wallets” !!

I went to my local Academy store this morning and after I did my shopping I went to the gun section to check out their limited reloading supplies.Not much there other than a selection of Hornady bullets.Glanced behind the gun counter and low and behold there was five different powders on display.Their H4350 price was $74.99!!! I looked online after I got home and checked to see if they had primers and they did have some Winchester Large Rifle for $8.99 a hundred. I went ahead and placed an order for ten.I figured I might as well since I didn't have to pay hazmat and shipping.The way powder is going I figured I better get them at that price.

Well

Breing German I am a little closer to what's happening in eastern Europe.

And yes: our gov should do more.

But honestly: if a Ukrainian guy gets ammunition to defend his freedom and I have to pay more for powder?

No pissing here. But on which principle was the USA founded?
As far as I know freedom.

The Ukrainians don't want to be Russians. See the actual "votes" there.

If companies charge too much, find others.

But you were always fighting for freedom (at least on paper). If we want NATO to go on, and what it means, we might have to live with higher prices (IF that is really the reason).

NP

"If companies charge too much, find others."

Gets to be a bit difficult when a few conglomerates control the whole market. Vista selling their shooting related stuff to a foreign country. Traitorous bull crap in my not very humble opinion. At best it will only create even higher prices. At worst, no components for us, period.
Paul B.

I stopped by Cabela’s in Charleston WV today and IMR 4350 was $75 a pound all the other brands were at least $20 cheaper. They had lots of pistol primers.

It’s only price gouging IF we make a purchase from them.

I ve said no and have been finding other powder alternatives, surplus pull down, etc. Guess what, I can still shoot without being totally robbed on powder pricing. I hope others consider doing the same so the wholesalers and retailers get the point we re not going to continue to let them rape us. Ditto on bullets; I ve been shooting more of the old standard cup and core soft points… don’t need to pay twice as much for a high bc, plastic tip gizmo for my shooting that’s point blank to 300-400 yards. (For LR shooting, sure, I ll have a few)

Hang on for the bumpy ride guys but remember we vote with what components we buy and ultimately with “our wallets” !!
Not sure what caliber you are looking for but Norma Tipstrike is a pretty good bullet think of it like the Nosler Ballistic tip. I have shot three deer with the 170 grain out of a CZ550 and had nice blood trails and short recoveries. Stay away from bone and aim for the lung heart area otherwise expect to lose a lot of meat.
I've bought quite a bit of bullets from this retailer the last few months as he has had good prices on the Norma bullets and spend at least $150 and free shipping as well.

Fairly certain that 4350 is made in Australia under the label AR2209 from ADI Powders. Taking into consideration the exchange rate, your $78 USD would get you 2.2lbs here of the same powder (we no longer sell anything smaller here). I'm still sitting on a bit over 18lbs of that particular powder so I should be fairly good. Not often is it you guy getting screwed over more than us

Back