Reboring a factory barrel???

atmoshpere

Beginner
Jun 8, 2011
So I am somewhat enamored with the 358 win. I've got a 20" 308 win barrel that I'm not using. Does someone know of a good smith that can rebore my 308 win to 358 win? Any idea of cost?

Thanks guys,

atm

Dave White in Oklahoma has a very good rep as a quality rifle making and gunsmith.
I would have used him in a heart beat but so much trouble getting rifles out of the states :cry:

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks guys, it looks like Dan Pederson may be the way to go. I need to find out if $220 includes a new neck/throat or if that is considered rechambering. As I understand it, all dimensions other than neck diameter are the same between the 308 and 358 win. If it does that would be a great value; probably the cheapest option for being able to play around with the 358 win, although I'd be sharing an action for now with the new 284 win. Since I have plenty of 308 brass I'd really only need dies, headspace guage and bullets to effectively be ready to go.

This could be a great opportunity to be able to piece together a new custom gun on terms that the CFO will approve of :twisted:

atm

A fellow I know had his .308 Browning BLR re-bored to .358 Win years ago. It's a good shooting rifle. I've got no idea who did the work. He's killed an awful lot of game with that little lever-action .358 including at least a dozen elk, a couple of black bear and some mule deer.

Guy

Thanks for sharing Guy,

I've been considering the 358 win for a few months now and have heard nothing but praise by those few that load for this cartridge. For some reason I really like the idea of launching a big fat chunk of lead at something! I think it will offset my long range 284 build nicely as an up close game getter. Would love to whop a black bear with this short 35 some day (insert daydream here)

If I can get it done for $200-$300 I'm gonna have a hard time passing it up!

atm

atm,

The .358 Win is an excellent black bear round. You could do far worse. And it works quite well on elk and moose. Though it is not necessarily my first choice for bison, I can tell you it works quite well for them also. Undoubtedly, it will work for deer.

And remember as long as it is not a Tikka or a Sako you're golden in reboring! :wink:

FOTIS":vtw5a7bi said:
And remember as long as it is not a Tikka or a Sako you're golden in reboring! :wink:

I read on Mr. Pederson's website that there are a number of barrels of different manufacture that are iffy to rebore. Luckily Savage wasn't one of them :grin:

It appears that Mr. LaBounty is retired, but that the man who apprenticed under him may have taken over his shop. I'll dig around a little more; if I can send it to Washington instead of AZ that would be great.

EDIT: apparantly the guy that does the reboring at Delta Gun shop is Cliff LaBounty's prodigy. Jim Dubell.
atm

The Sakos are iffy for one reason. Their steel is so tough that it wears down the tools used to rebore. This is straight from Cliff when I was reboring my 7mm rem mag Sendero to 8mm rem mag.

"Would love to whop a black bear with this short 35 some day (insert daydream here)"

You're in the great Pacific Northwest bear kingdom! No need for this to remain a daydream... Oregon, Idaho, Washington and British Columbia all offer excellent black bear hunting. Idaho still allows baiting too.

Northern California has doggone good bear hunting from what I understand, and amazingly enough, hound hunting is still permitted there! I'd love to do a hound hunt someday, for bear or cougar.

Washington is all spot and stalk, except for some tribes that conduct hunts via baiting. Spot and stalk is an outstanding way to take a bear. My son and I were both successful last year with Washington bears. We have been out three times already this season and have seen one bear. Stalked him, but weren't able to seal the deal with a shot.

Best of luck on the re-bore and the bear hunt I know you'll pull off.

Actually, I'd probably just make the bear hunt happen and leave the .308 rifle alone... but that's me!

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":vm9g3ne8 said:
Actually, I'd probably just make the bear hunt happen and leave the .308 rifle alone... but that's me!

I fully intend to engage in the pursuit of a fine bruin this fall, and I've no doubts that I can get it done without the 358, I just think that a black bear would be right at the top of the list of hunts I'd like to make with the 358 win :wink: .

The blackberries, plums and apples are all coming on along the Umatilla river. It's like a big wild bear buffet after dark, with busted trees and abundant piles of scat as evidence the next morning of the nocturnal schmorgesboard! I love Fall in the Blues! Too bad it'll be a week or two before I can get up there :x

FOTIS":3o8n2xeo said:
The Sakos are iffy for one reason. Their steel is so tough that it wears down the tools used to rebore. This is straight from Cliff when I was reboring my 7mm rem mag Sendero to 8mm rem mag.

:shock: WOW, they must use some good hard stuff!

Now I just need to decide whether to rebore my extra barrel and eventually get a cheap donor action and stock for it's own build, or just save up about $600 and get a Ruger M77 Hawkeye off gunbroker :|

...decisions decisions 8)

atm

atmoshpere":v4fd36aq said:
Guy Miner":v4fd36aq said:

I fully intend to engage in the pursuit of a fine bruin this fall, and I've no doubts that I can get it done without the 358, I just think that a black bear would be right at the top of the list of hunts I'd like to make with the 358 win :wink: .

The blackberries, plums and apples are all coming on along the Umatilla river. It's like a big wild bear buffet after dark, with busted trees and abundant piles of scat as evidence the next morning of the nocturnal schmorgesboard! I love Fall in the Blues! Too bad it'll be a week or two before I can get up there :x

Can't really add anything to the reboring part, but I do love my 358 Win with 225gr PT's. It sends them out around 2450 and I can't see much inside 300 yards that would be safe from it. It is a great shooting load and a very efficient cartridge that really carries some juice. Scotty

atmoshpere":1q0i0hz6 said:
FOTIS":1q0i0hz6 said:

:shock: WOW, they must use some good hard stuff!

Now I just need to decide whether to rebore my extra barrel and eventually get a cheap donor action and stock for it's own build, or just save up about $600 and get a Ruger M77 Hawkeye off gunbroker :|

...decisions decisions 8)

atm

Yup they are tough. Cliff would never touch them for rebarreling. Sako barrels last!

atmoshpere":2w8sg6ud said:
So I am somewhat enamored with the 358 win. I've got a 20" 308 win barrel that I'm not using. Does someone know of a good smith that can rebore my 308 win to 358 win? Any idea of cost?

Thanks guys,

atm

RIGHT in your neck of the woods in Pendleton, Oregon. Wayne York, Oregunsmithing

I'm coming pretty late into this, was hunting when this was posted. I had a Browning BLR in 243 rebored to 260 Rem with a 1 in 8 twist by Dan Petersen it's a very accurate rifle it isn't too hard to get 1 inch groups with almost any bullet with some loads much better than that. I think thats pretty good for a lever gun with a mushy trigger, the work he did was excellent I would recommend him.

Back