Red Stag

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
I was asked about these hunts privately and then ask to put my thoughts on the open forum

New Zealand vs Argentina

cost, about the same

animals, more variety in Argentina, but no Tahr in Argentina and the Tahr is a great hunt, so if Tahr is in your plans , then New Zealand ----Chamois can be hunted in both countries. I mentioned these two as they were the "other" two we wanted and they were both great hunts. We elected to cheat a bit and were taken to higher elevations by helicopter.

Scenery, different, both beautiful, but for me the edge goes to New Zealand

Accommodations excellent in both countries

wing shooting, Argentina, hands down

fishing, New Zealand, hands down

other activities --a toss up, as the great barrier reef and Australia is close which we enjoyed. However, from a strictly personally point of view, the extra curricula activities in Argentina were more fun. We took tango lessons before we went and enjoyed Buenos Aires a lot and then flew to Rio and that was fun.

We also hunted Scotland and Austria and Red Stag's are hunted in both countries. we did not hunt them in those countries, but hunted other animals and if I was planning a trip for Red Stag in would not be in Europe. Negatives, higher costs, smaller animals, birds and fishing not as good, imho, but the positives, especially if your wife does not hunt. Great accommodations, a never ending list off places to visit, great places, places with some real history attached to them, beautiful scenery and it is so varied throughout Europe, but all beautiful in its own way.

as I have said before my opinion and a nickel will buy you absolutely nothing, but I was ask to share the aforementioned and I have

I would dearly love to go to New Zealand, even if I wasn't able to hunt or fish. A hunting partner from some years back moved to New Zealand. Perhaps I need to look him up and talk him into a hunt. Argentina, well that's another country I have always thought sounded delightful. My Mentor was Chilean, and he always informed me that the Chilean Spanish was much, much purer than that spoken in Argentina. But, then, I met a fellow researcher from Argentina who informed me that my Mentor didn't know what he was talking about. I guess the only way I'll ever settle the matter is to go. Two lovely countries, and the red stag hunt would be delightful in either country.

Like DrMike I think New Zealand would be my choice also if for nothing more than to see the country.

either/or for me. I think I would enjoy both places. I would not mention anything about tango lessons to my wife however. and thank you for the information

hunternyny":28jttm0p said:
either/or for me. I think I would enjoy both places. I would not mention anything about tango lessons to my wife however. and thank you for the information
I think the tango has been replaced with the Salsa. :grin:

We have friends that just arrived in New Zealand today and will be there for 6 weeks :wink:. I would love to go to New Zealand & then hop across to Australia. I have a friend that I played hockey with for a number of years that lives there & has often invited me there. He is a fisherman that states there is not a lake you cannot limit out on continuously.
Greg advised that government will pay your expenses if you hunt Kangaroos :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Well having lived in NZ for many years (during Alaskas winter time)And flown extensively all over the South Isle, the sad reality of It is; almost all of the hunting you are seeing on TV; of folks Shooting Red Stag of trophy class are ALL being shot on Private ranches and the deer are far from wild deer. ( This makes for interesting conversations down at the local pubs :mrgreen: )
Shooting true wild red stags, in the land of the" long white cloud" of trophy quality is really a
Misnomer......... :cry:
New Zealanders love Americans too come down and blow $20k to shoot a farmed stag ............. The sad part is 98% of the American hunters, actually believe the Southern Alps are full of wild Gold Metal Stags....... Nothing could be further from the truth.(The other 2% never mention it)
Argentina is probably quite a different story because it has never been helicopter hunted relentlessly for 40 years...... Thar will run for there life from a copter, however
Chamois: When we would hover over them, in the Huges 500s, they would just huddle togeather, like a bunch of Musk Oxen...... And just stand there waiting for the hunter to shoot them......... :oops:
New Zealand and the kiwis are nicest folks on earth, but the hunting there is the most misrepresented hunts on earth.....
Gary Joll of Lillybank Lodge, Lake Tekapo started this style of hunting
Back when we owned Southern Alps Outfitters out of Lake Wanaka,1980/90s, offering fair chase hunts on wild deer.
But after farmers saw the big $$$$ the "yanks" would pay.Dozens of others have fallowed Garys suit. It cracks me up to watch them hunt these propertys and pass the hunts off
As the real deal. 99.9 percent of the monster stags your seeing on TV are hand reared deer that anyone that had only ever shot a red squirrel could easily bag........
I never approved of game"farm" hunts back then and still
Dont today. Some of the boys that are still flying there tell
Me on the QT they are lifting the deer sidated up into the back country under the 500s , cutting the tags off the ears
And then the last few days before the "sport" with the "20 gee wizes", is to arrive they chase the stags around with the chopper to try to get them act "wild"....
Pretty sad really. :?
Here is a Nice wild Stag taken fair chase! The Dog is a Munster Lander,he would track wounded deer till he got them, sit there and bark so I could find him!
IMAGE00012.jpg
Chamois hudle up as you approach.....
IMAGE00014.jpg
My partner the legendary Dave Saxton.
IMAGE00015.jpg

Earle, it has been almost thirty years since we were there, but we loved it. You can not find nicer people and the accommodations were great. As previously stated we also loved Argentina and since I prefer wing shooting over fishing Argentina worked for me. the animals in Argentina are also on farms but the farms are HUGE, much like the ones in Africa, perhaps even larger. the other thing we liked about Argentina was the horse back transportation available, since we had horses and loved to ride that worked for us.

But I will never regret our trip to New Zealand, beautiful people and country, but as stated before Argentina was my favorite of the two

Along the lines of game farms, we also hunted in game farms in Africa, not on every trip, but some and it is a trade off. to each their own.

The one thing that perhaps Homer oz can speak about, if he sees this thread is their water buffalo hunts. They bill them as dangerous, as Africas cape buffalo. We only did this on one occasion, but we did not find Australia;s water Buffalo to be as aggressive as Africa cape buffalo. But we were told that they do charge occasionally.

Earle, thanks for your contribution to the thread, as your on hands experience in New Zealand will be good information for the fellows here .

My thread so I can do this lol----Dr Mike, saw your post about your upcoming 50th anniversary, congratulations to both you and your wife sir. As you know my husband has passed,, but I actually celebrate our anniversary each year anyway.

Would like to go to both place So!

Red stag and fishing in NZ.
Red stag and other exotics in Argentina. The fishing in Argentina can be very good, but further southern than where the better hunting is, I'm told. My wife has a friend on the North Island in NZ which would be good for sambar and Rusa deer too. She also has relatives in Argentina. Can't get much better then that's!

The problem with hunting New Zealand ( as much as I love taking a risk!) is there are "Orcs"! I saw it in a movie! Those things will "eat man flesh", given half a chance! Eewww!

Having been to New Zealand and living in Argentina for two years. I say New Zealand. It's amazing and so beautiful. Plus more big game to hunt.

Argentina would be awesome because I miss the good food and the bird hunting would be incredible. Plus you can hunt Puma etc..

Wives, New Zealand for sure unless they speak the language Castellano

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Back