Reloading dies

What bullet weight(s) have you tried.
It might be worth a try to use a different weight, one that your rifle prefers.
As a side note, have you tried Nosler BT's? It's been my experience that if a rifle doesn't shoot BT's, it's going to be a problem rifle.

JD338
So I have shot 150’s with 4064 and just made a few more to verify. I have some 180 Hornady IL and just picked up yesterday some BT 165’s just haven’t loaded 180 or BT yet

You’ve been given a lot of great advice so far. The one thing I’ld do before plunking down some cash for another set of dies would be the following.
Do you have consistence neck tension and how much?
Annealing your brass will help with that.
Second , what is your measured runout on a seated bullet?

You’ve been given a lot of great advice so far. The one thing I’ld do before plunking down some cash for another set of dies would be the following.
Do you have consistence neck tension and how much?
Annealing your brass will help with that.
Second , what is your measured runout on a seated bullet?
That is more long range stuff I shoot 300 and in and mostly 150 or less at deer from a tree stand. I also reload the exact same way for 7 rifles and this one is the only one giving me anything less than 1/2” groups at 100yds. I’m not sure what my neck tension is nor do I for runout. It’s just not something I need to worry about for what I shoot. I also have not annealed my cases

So what I was mainly thinking about is seating dies. I’m looking into the RCBS matchmaster and the Forster benchrest.
My reasoning is I have a tikka t3 30.06. I’ve tried Sierra GK, Hornady SST and IL Speer Hot Cor and BTSP; switched powders from w760 to imr4350 and now h4350 and best I can get is just under an inch. Which is fine for the rifle as a deer gun which is what it is but I have a few other rifles all of which I can get 1/2” or less from if I do my part. On avg with the 30,06 I’m getting around an inch. With w760 I switched primers from fed210 to wlrm and had gas leaks. Winchester is swapping them for me but I also had an increase in accuracy groups. All groups are 5shots @100yds
I bought the rifle used but in excellent condition but no idea of what it’s been through.

I'm just happy as all get out that my 30-06 Remington 700 shoots an inch at 100 yards. That's just peachy. Using standard RCBS dies, with a variety of bullets and powders an inch is all I need. With that level of accuracy I've taken game from very close range out to a tad over 400 yards with that 30-06 Remington and RCBS dies.

This group was from a Savage hunting rifle:

This one is from my Remington 700 and I used that load to take a bear this spring:

Do I also use "match" grade dies? Yes! Wilson inline dies and an arbor press, Forster dies on the terrific Forster Co-Ax press, and "match" type dies by RCBS and Redding. The Forster dies work really well with the Forster press. They produced the tightest groups I've ever shot - but that was also with a custom built .223 rifle. Everything was top notch: barrel, rifle, scope, dies, brass, bullet, etc... A three shot group measured by another shooter at .179 and .053, ya .053... My goodness. Now those were only 3 shot groups, but several different shooters have put that ammo and that rifle to test and it always makes groups like that. I can't say a bad thing about the Forster Co-Ax press and dies. Forster also offers custom honed dies, which I was using.

For hunting big game? I'm absolutely happy with my good old RCBS dies and my 30-06 factory rifle.

Regards, Guy

I'm just happy as all get out that my 30-06 Remington 700 shoots an inch at 100 yards. That's just peachy. Using standard RCBS dies, with a variety of bullets and powders an inch is all I need. With that level of accuracy I've taken game from very close range out to a tad over 400 yards with that 30-06 Remington and RCBS dies.

Do I also use "match" grade dies? Yes! Wilson inline dies and an arbor press, Forster dies on the terrific Forster Co-Ax press, and "match" type dies by RCBS and Redding. The Forster dies work really well with the Forster press. They produced the tightest groups I've ever shot - but that was also with a custom built .223 rifle. Everything was top notch: barrel, rifle, scope, dies, brass, bullet, etc... A three shot group measured by another shooter at .179 and .053, ya .053... My goodness. Now those were only 3 shot groups, but several different shooters have put that ammo and that rifle to test and it always makes groups like that. I can't say a bad thing about the Forster Co-Ax press and dies. Forster also offers custom honed dies, which I was using.

For hunting big game? I'm absolutely happy with my good old RCBS dies and my 30-06 factory rifle.

Regards, Guy
Hey Guy… or should we call you Tex cause that there is some nice shootin!!! I am ok with hunting accuracy at 1” especially the distances I shoot game mainly deer unless random coyote pokes his head out of the tall grass. I’m in PA and hunt from a stand in the thick woods so an inch is totally fine for that. My OCD kicks in when I can’t shoot what I’m trying to accomplish and all honesty it is me sometimes cause I love my coffee and drink one while I shoot in the morning as well. But being I’ve been through a few powders and a few boolits and a few boolit weights it befuddles me to not see an improvement. I mean I’m freakin dying over here!!! I’m not the most savvy reloader or shooter but I am damn good looking I should be able to smile at the target and make 3/4” pencil marks….but this rifle isn’t so far. It’s a great hunter I was able to take a nice 9 pt on opening day first light last year at 50yd; he ran right at me and expired 15ft from my tree stand I just want to squeeze that little bit of accuracy I know is left in the old rifle.

Back