Reloading Logs

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I have been using the same cheap spiral notebook to keep all my reloading logs, as I keep flipping those pages, the pages tends to come apart at the seams over several years of usage. I keep some targets in there with a log stapled to it on what loads I used as well. Call me old fashioned, most of these guys uses Excel and they are savvy with Excel unlike me. What do you guys use to keep track of your logs?

I have surfed the net on printable reloading logs and came across Gavin's Ultimate Reloader site and he has some neat printable reloading sheets to keep your notes in, i just printed 10 pages and bought a one inch binder and some of those reinforcement labels. Put some of those labels on both sides of the reloading sheets after hole punching them, the labels helps to keep the papers from being torn out accidentally and it looks real neat with some dividers in it as well, just unzip it and keep your targets inside them. Check this link that Gavin provided on Ultimate Reloader, I like them.

I use a hardcover notebook for at the range to document the info from my chronograph, and transfer the data to my Excel spreadsheet when I get home.
I too use a different tab for each cartridge in the spreadsheet. (Have tabs for 22LR up through 444 Marlin)

I use Hornady's Ballistic Calculator to determine velocity, Energy and Trajectory data based on my local elevation, avg humidity and ambient temperature to give info for my firearms/cartridge performance data relevant to when/where I do the bulk of my shooting and hunting. This will vary from that for others, but is most useful to me.

Data recorded - which has grown over time to include:
Manufacturer of bullet or ammo,
Model of bullet
Bullet weight
Ballistic Coefficient
SD
Case (should add column for case water capacity for QuickLoad)
Primer
Powders
Charge Weight
COAL
Muzzle Velocity - both manufacturer specs or load data, and actual chronographed velocity for that rifle if gathered
Muzzle Energy
Recoil Energy for that load and rifle
Extreme Spread
Standard Deviation
Accuracy @ 100 yards - 3 shot groups for hunting cartridges, 5 for varmint cartridges, 10 for rimfires
Velocity, Energy and Trajectory data for yardages (100 to 500 yards) with 200 yard zero (100 or 150 yard zero for less powerful lever action cartridges) for centerfire cartridges

This also helps me learn ballistics of each cartridge, for field use, and to perform comparisons between various cartridges for personal knowledge and for energy efficiency analysis...besides, the rifle loonie/gun geek in me just enjoys this stuff! :cool:

Last edited:
I have the little spiral notebooks for each of my centerfires. I have the build specs of the rifle, virgin/fired case specs, and bullet ogive/land specs on the first couple pages. Then I keep track of how many rounds fired, range, MOA/Wind correction, date, temp, wind speed, and any other notes for that session deemed fit.

I've also kept all of my load development targets over the last 20 years...About 4 full binders worth and another corner of the room with poster board targets for ladder tests, 200-300 yard zeroing/ load testing, etc.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to download Open Office and use their programs as they will open up in Microsoft Office. Open office is a free program that works very well. I have used Microsoft Office for years, but I installed Open office on a lot of customers computers before I retired from owning a computer repair business.

Your best bet is to download Open Office and use their programs as they will open up in Microsoft Office. Open office is a free program that works very well. I have used Microsoft Office for years, but I installed Open office on a lot of customers computers before I retired from owning a computer repair business.

When my son was in high school he created a spreadsheet on OpenOffice. I tried using it and gave up , never had any computer training made it difficult.
I just record the load data on a small sheet of paper and keep it in the ammo box.

I developed a couple different pages in excel that I print out and put in 3 ring binders. I have more in depth sheets for the bottleneck cartridges and less for the semi auto and revolver cartridges. I keep a different binder for rifles, single shot pistols and one for revolvers and semi auto. Each caliber has it its own tabbed section and each lot of ammo has its own page or pages depending on how many times its been loaded. I tried doing it on the computer but found I do a much better job actually keeping everything recorded if I can just grab the right binder, turn to the right page and fill it in as soon as I finish loading the ammo.

I use Reloading Studio (https://reloadingstudio.com/) but I use an old version before the guy moved to a SaaS model. I haven't tried the SaaS solution but I suspect it has at least the same features as the old one that you install manually. One thing I like is that it will give you an accurate account of remaining components

I have a Field Notes notebook for each rifle I have.
i don’t want to keep my info on a computer as, in my opinion, I don’t want it available to anyone I don’t want it available to.
And, if anything were to happen to the computer then my info would not be accessible.
I realize that things can happen to notebooks, but I just feel that’s less likely.

I use bound notebooks, and input that data into a spread sheet. GRT is a good way to keep up with loads and all the associated info....My mentor used pocket notebooks at the range and the final load data was transferred to index cards and stored in card boxes. Just like our mothers used to do with recipe cards.

Best way to transfer or attach in folders on a pc is via usb cam. Take pics with it and move/create where needed. No need to rewrite everything! No cam for usb, just do it with your mobile device and transfer via bluetooth/router/cable.

when I 1st started reloading ('84) I wrote on the 20rds box the ammo came in. Winchester super-x 264wm ammo that I bought before I was13 until I bought ammo boxes that held 50rds. Saved the brass and boxes that I used when I started reloading. Kept info in the Sierra #5 also and only wrote bullet weight and powder charge on the box (no dates). I only reloaded for 2 cartridges at the beginning (44mag, 264wm) until 2-3 years later and added my dad's 270win data (he didn't reload). Those were the only 3 cartridges I reloaded for until '14.

when I 1st started reloading ('84) I wrote on the 20rds box the ammo came in. Winchester super-x 264wm ammo that I bought before I was13 until I bought ammo boxes that held 50rds. Saved the brass and boxes that I used when I started reloading. Kept info in the Sierra #5 also and only wrote bullet weight and powder charge on the box (no dates). I only reloaded for 2 cartridges at the beginning (44mag, 264wm) until 2-3 years later and added my dad's 270win data (he didn't reload). Those were the only 3 cartridges I reloaded for until '14.
I use paper logs books for each caliber but recently I bought a small thermal printer off of Amazon and started making detailed box labels.
IMG_20240225_153027880.jpgIMG_20240303_162357692.jpgIMG_20240303_162402355.jpg

Also made some ladder test rounds for my Ruger 1 I have a thermal bar sealer and plastic seal bags that I can make pockets to hold multiple sperated rounds. After I find the best round for my rifle I will transfer the info into a log book as a keeper.

Attachments

• IMG_20240303_162350304.jpg
    IMG_20240303_162350304.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 6
I've thought about getting an inexpensive 8" tablet just for reloading. Really only needs to be WIFI capable and run a few spreadsheets. Small enough to fit in a range bag, but big enough for my stubby fingers to manipulate.

I've thought about making a book on each of my rifles . the book would include rifle specs , along with reloading data . I work on them here and there . there has been so much time in between working on them I started the second book on the one rifle . I guess I know it's a great idea , but maybe not worth the effort . here are some pics of what I got going on .

P3180563.JPG

P3180564.JPG

P3180565.JPG

P3180566.JPG

P3180567.JPG

P3180568.JPG

P3180569.JPG

P3180570.JPG

P3180572.JPG

this is the mess of notes I'm trying to clean up , and organize .

P3180574.JPG

I use paper logs books for each caliber but recently I bought a small thermal printer off of Amazon and started making detailed box labels.
View attachment 22261View attachment 22263View attachment 22264

Also made some ladder test rounds for my Ruger 1 I have a thermal bar sealer and plastic seal bags that I can make pockets to hold multiple sperated rounds. After I find the best round for my rifle I will transfer the info into a log book as a keeper.
Holy cats , that’s taking it to a new level.

Back