Rem 760 with Speer 180

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Working really well with cor lokts but it's always fun to experiment.

Even though these are lighter than the 200 CL, I started a grain under that just to be safe.

What was supposed to just be the 2 test shots being safe and checking for pressure, ended up shooting the tightest.

The same 41 gr charge that works so well with the CL's shot just under 1 3/8" so not near as good, but 2 of the shots were under 1/2" and I do believe the second shot that was low and out, was at least partially me. Think I was low on the dot when it went off. Will re-shoot that load so I know either way.

The 40.5 charge went 2337, so about the same speed as the higher charge with 200 CL's, and interestingly enough real close the same POI now that I adjusted my scope. Not the same gain in speed over book loads as I got with the CL's but fast enough.

That appears to be the ticket. A 180 grain pill at 2300 plus will tag any deer you happen upon. Velocity isn't everything; if the accuracy isn't there, it may be nothing.

ST,

Looks like you have a great load. It's definitely deer woods ready.
Your rifle is a shooter.
Well done sir.

JD338

DrMike":39vl25ha said:
That appears to be the ticket. A 180 grain pill at 2300 plus will tag any deer you happen upon. Velocity isn't everything; if the accuracy isn't there, it may be nothing.

Yep. The 40.5 charge is still 100 fps faster than Hodgdon's max with that powder.....it is also 1.5 gr's higher than max. So no slouch in that regard, I was just surprised the lighter bullet was not much faster with near the same charge weight as the 200 CL.

I will probably try a load in the middle about 40.3, and also re-shoot the 41 gr charge. 41 puts me at about out of case capacity unless I want to start running into pretty heavy compressed loads.

In the end I was just messing around to learn, and to come up with an alternative to the CL's at a later date. The 200 CL at 2300 plus works so well I doubt I'll stray from it, at least not this yr.

I use 45grs of Lever with the Speer 180 gr that gets 2311 fps. This is max book load but might be able to tamp in a gr or so. Was satisfied with the results it gives on deer. When and if powder and primers become more available I might try your load Shade with the 200 gr CL just to see. Both the Speer 180 and Rem 200 CL both have great reputations but the Hornady 200gr FTX is a better bullet in my humble opinion. Good expansion and makes the 35 Rem a true 200 yd caliber if needed to shoot that far. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":11oho9jn said:
I use 45grs of Lever with the Speer 180 gr that gets 2311 fps. This is max book load but might be able to tamp in a gr or so. Was satisfied with the results it gives on deer. When and if powder and primers become more available I might try your load Shade with the 200 gr CL just to see. Both the Speer 180 and Rem 200 CL both have great reputations but the Hornady 200gr FTX is a better bullet in my humble opinion. Good expansion and makes the 35 Rem a true 200 yd caliber if needed to shoot that far. Dan.

Yeah I'm 100 fps faster than book load with H4895, but didn't gain anything on the LVR speed. Not sure why, but unless my chrono was lying to me that day, that's what it was.

So no advantage other than it appears to shoot very well. Will have to re-test it. And I got 9 lbs of H4895, and none of LVR.

Now the CL's are another story with H4895. 200 fps faster than book load and 100 fps faster than a compressed load with LVR. And shoots.

I'm 2.5 gr's over max with that load, which is a whole lot in a smaller capacity case like a 35 Rem. No hints of showing pressure, but as discussed before book max is 35,000 cup, way low for a 760.

Back