Rem700 308 2.0

thatguySHM

Beginner
Feb 11, 2017
Years ago, while on a trip with my father, I picked up a Remington 700p 308 with optic for the price of a used SPS, and shot it quite a bit. First time dabbling with the mighty 308, and it took me out to half a mile for the first time.

As my knowledge of the 308 grew, I kept searching for the lands. Finally I got tired of it, researched and found out it was one of the very long throated rifles. Getting tired of it, I decided to put a new barrel on it. I've been building ARs and Savage rifles for years, and just did a Remage. I wanted to take it to the next step.

I went with a short chambered Satern barrel in 308. I thought about switching to one of the 6/6.5 mm rounds out there but had everything for the 308 and decided to keep it the same. So I rented a reamer and t handle with gauges from 4D and put it all together Wednesday.

Final specs

Rem 700 SA
Sent the bolt off for a knob
Satern 24" stainless barrel, M24E profile
TriDelta muzzle brake
Timney Calvin Elite 2 stage trigger
EGW 20 MOA base
Not sure of the rings, I got them years ago
Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56
Kept the Hogue stock, hogged it out for the barrel
Harris bipod

Almost every load I've put into it shoots well. I shot one shot on paper Wednesday, cleaned, adjusted to get near paper, second shot gave me the idea where to adjust, cleaned, then shot a three shot group that was under an inch, cleaned and adjusted the correct way (brain fart sent it the wrong way), then fired a five shot group that was under half an inch.

That was all with light 168gr Nosler CC, and H335. Then I switched to 175 TMKs with IMR 4064 and shot for five round groups, all amazing. Tired 168 Amax and CFE223, first time anything was over an inch for five.

I took my data and came home, focused on the TMK load, and tried some 175 RFDs with AR Comp. Also looked around to see what I had for old loads, wanted my Lapua brass, so grabbed a bunch today, and just had fun with my wife and a co worker on the range.

She stole the day with under an inch group at 300 yards with her 6mm BR I made her for our wedding, and as I trained her to do her own scope adjustments, she nailed a golf ball dead center at 300 with me spotting. Our friend also hit one twice at 300 with my 308. To end the day I shot two more 100 yard groups, one with the TMK and one with 178 Amax with PP2000. Both were well under .5" for five.

I just love when things turn out this way.

SHM

Rifle, first target, TMK target page, Amax right TMK left
cad3b3043f610057ef9f5c2fce233aea.jpg
c697613053f41c91075c5af7f4916b15.jpg
bad2ac2781ca35b1380eda160b587a60.jpg
61254df20d732e4a13d0f71980df9061.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Very nice! Yes, the .308 Winchester is one heck of an accurate cartridge. Some say "inherently accurate." I don't know about that, but it WORKS.

Not that you need this, but here's a link to an article on loading for the .308 Win:
http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

I'm a big fan of the .308 for the light recoil and no-nonsense performance. You've done well with yours.

Regards, Guy

Indeed, a most attractive rifle, the beauty of which is only enhanced by the accuracy displayed.

Nice looking rifle. She is a shooter.

JD338

Outstanding, clean and crisp looking and a shooter, what more could one ask for? Your skills are also a major part of those small groups, congratulations.

Thank you all. I did make a mistake today with it. I went around my reloading room and found most of my Lapua brass, only 32 are unaccounted for. There was some older loads that I pulled apart to weigh charges, but I guess I missed weighing the bullet on one. I "knew" it was a 168, and just needed to seat it deeper, charge weighed fine for a 168, but not a 178. Blew the first primer of my reloading career. I've been loading for more than 20 years, but missed a step wanting to get out before the rain. It was humbling, and definitely threw my confidence, pretty much wasted ammo when I backed up to 450 yards.

It's currently hanging above my loading bench, as a reminder. Gave it a good cleaning and inspection, my brass is clean now, going to go back to the TMK load to make sure everything is fine.

I have looked at the 6BR site, but it hasn't been updated in quite a while. I do plan on trying some 155 Hornadys next. Thanks for all the compliments though!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back