Remington 12 gauge Buckhammers 1.25oz

There runs a dead deer...... Impressive mess, you'd think it woulda dropped him where he stood. Send you photos to Remington and tell 'em to make some more. They wont because Buck Hammers arent $15.00 bucks a box. Sad but true I think. CL

Scotty there is a slug called a Hammerhead that is similar to a buckhammer and sold from slugsrus.com as a reloading component. Might be another option for you to consider.

remmy1187":2zvh1klh said:
Scotty there is a slug called a Hammerhead that is similar to a buckhammer and sold from slugsrus.com as a reloading component. Might be another option for you to consider.

I've heard of them. Think they will shoot the same in my gun? It's a smooth bore with a rifled choke tube.

Thank you though. That is certainly looking to be an option.

SJB358":2y3gxykc said:
remmy1187":2y3gxykc said:

I've heard of them. Think they will shoot the same in my gun? It's a smooth bore with a rifles choke tube.

Thank you though. That is certainly looking to be an option.

Years ago I loaded some of their slugs. The reloading was pretty easy, and accuracy was on par with factory fodder out of my rifled barrel. I shot them all up on paper before I hit a deer. I was able to load them down to tame some of the recoil. 'Course if you are shooting Buck Hammers recoil isn't an issue. :shock: :) CL

I checked their site. I might give them a whirl this year.. The Winchester Rackmasters seem to shoot the same as the old Buckmaster's as well. The only question now is terminal performance, but being another soft lead slug, they should be decent if not the same.

I would definately try the Rackmasters especially with your smoothbore and for around 7-8 bucks a box not too crazy expensive. Who knows they just might be almost as good as the Buckhammers. The Hammerheads from slugsrus do say they are for rifled barrels but I would think they might be ok too.

I'll give anything a shot. Hate to spend a bunch of money on slugs but it's really about the only way to get exactly what you want.

Your right though 7-8 bucks a box is almost free compared to what most of the saboted slugs run these days.

Not that I wouldn't try the Rack Masters, they certainly have the mass and weight that have worked for you. However it just occurs to me that if you reload with the SPS wad (or whatever they call it) you can load that with whatever .54 cal payload you like (if I remember correctly). That would mean you could actually use a Nosler MZ bullet if you wanna be real "brand loyal". Always wanted to try a bunch of different bullets but that costs money.... Could be fun though. All I need is time and money...CL

cloverleaf":41ce2gkz said:
Not that I wouldn't try the Rack Masters, they certainly have the mass and weight that have worked for you. However it just occurs to me that if you reload with the SPS wad (or whatever they call it) you can load that with whatever .54 cal payload you like (if I remember correctly). That would mean you could actually use a Nosler MZ bullet if you wanna be real "brand loyal". Always wanted to try a bunch of different bullets but that costs money.... Could be fun though. All I need is time and money...CL

I think I have to stick with a mostly full bore slug, that has a tail attached for stability, but anything saboted probably won't stabilize in my smoothbore.

Back