Remington 700 280rem build

Trawick78

Beginner
Jul 6, 2022
Plan on starting a build what would be the best barrel to go with far as length wise an twist rate, for long range hunting an target shooting, really wanting to build a tack driver, which action, would y’all recommend

Plan on starting a build what would be the best barrel to go with far as length wise an twist rate, for long range hunting an target shooting, really wanting to build a tack driver, which action, would y’all recommend
There is no "best," but there is better for what you want to accomplish.
22-24 inch length will do as most people would want. Adding a good brake will add to the OAL 1.75" to 2". There are some that are shorter.
I would also consider the 280AI as well.
What bullet weights are you considering?
Since LR target shooting is also a consideration, probably go a step up in barrel taper at least, for some sustained shooting at distance.
1-8 twist is where I would go today with a custom LR build.
Krieger, Brux, Bartlein have been my top 3 for years now. Hart and Lilja just barely below those top three.
I have several top tier actions like BAT and Borden, but my hands down favorite is Kauger Arms.
Make sure you pick a good gunsmith!
There are a lot of average and worse out there.
Michael DeLoach of Nine Run Gun (NRG) is one of several top gunsmiths I would recommend. I trust him, and he does stellar work.
His website is not much of anything, but his work is beautiful.

Is this for mostly plains or light canyons and hills or will it include 8K+ elevations?

Hard to go wrong with barrels from most reputable barrel makers today.
Stainless, might suggest Benchmark or Krieger.
Carbon fiber, Proof Research gets a lot good reviews.
22" or 24" for hunting, might want 24" for a little more velocity for long range and target.
Twist rate; look at recommended twist rate for preferred bullet weight you are considering shooting.
Built my semi custom 280 Rem on the Rem 700 (LH) XCR action, but other quality actions out there to choose from. I used the factory Remington SS fluted 24" from a CDL LTD, glass/pillar bedded for both the factory LSS and XCR stocks, and am getting 1/2" groups w/ factory ammo w/ 140 gr AB's. Still need to work up a load w/ the 150 gr AB's.
If I were to upgrade the barrel, it will be to a carbon fibre barrel to lighten rifle up a bit.

First I would go with the 280AI , just for the extra horsepower.
Action , go with one of the 700 clones skip the Remington.
Barrel , I’m a Wisconsin boy Krieger or Barlein 26” min.
Stock , Manners
Good luck on you build.

I have a 280AI built on a blueprinted 700 action, Tubb recoil lug, Hart 24 " #5 fluted and pillar bedded in a Remington LSS stock.
Consistently shoots in the .3's or less. I have a 1:9 twist and have excellent accuracy from 120 gr BT to 168 gr ABLR.
The 280AI is capable of taking on anything in NA. My wife also has a 280AI and used 160 gr PT's to take a bull moose. Definitely one you should consider for your build.
As Ernie mentioned, make sure you have a good gunsmith. There are a lot of self proclaimed experts so be careful when choosing one.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20170409_135110985.jpg
    IMG_20170409_135110985.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 3
I'd go with either a 24" carbon fiber wrapped bbl, or a Bartlein #2b or #3. I always use 1:8 twist barrels for my 7mms but that's because of Hammers and other monos. For general purpose, 1:9 is typically great for 7mm.

I'm in the middle of building a blueprinted Remington 700 280AI and I like it plenty.

Sorta wish I'd gone with a straight 280 Rem but it's more of a nostalgia thing.

That's just what I'd use

What weight of a rifle are you targeting?
I have a few Defiance actions I've picked up in the last year and really like them well made and really smooth, that and made here in Montana. Look at Redhawk rifles they may actually have a couple in stock.
I cant add much to the barrel conversation yet.
There are a bunch of stocks to choose from to fit your needs laminate, fiberglass/synthetic, carbon, or Chassis type.
Then there is the trigger, mounts and scope.

I think you should define a weight that you would be comfortable with, taking into account how much extra weight the scope you want will add, then pick out parts that will be as rigid as possible within your weight constraint.

As far as barrel brands, Krieger, Brux, Bartlein, Hart, Lilja, Pac-Nor, I'd say all of these are more than adequate and I won't attempt to name any of them better than the other. For actions, going with Remington clones will give you better quality and options. Defiance is very good and so is Kelbly. A couple others, I know Stiller is good, and Big Horn I know less about. I can't remember if Surgeon sells only complete rifles, or if they sell their actions by themselves, but they are good actions.

All the above are quality products, but what configuration you will want depends on how heavy you are willing to go. Barrel length effects velocity but will have no effect on accuracy for the first shot. However, your barrel length and barrel contour do effect how heat will effect accuracy over multiple shots. Basically the more mass in the barrel, the more heat it can take without warping. As a general rule, a 24 in. barrel with the heaviest contour that keeps you within your weight limit is what you want for max accuracy over repeated shots. However, some people opt for shorter barrels because they save weight, they just won't take quite as much heat. If you are not worried about making shots in quick succession, then a 20 in. barrel will be just as accurate as a 24 in. as long as it doesn't heat up too much, and will be lots lighter. Fluting simultaneously reduces weight and increases rigidity, so get a fluted barrel if you can afford it. Hopefully I didn't make that too confusing.

Action selection is the same idea in a way, buy the beefiest quality action that keeps your weight within your limits. Defiance has a whole range of different actions from light weight skeletonized actions, to large benchrest actions, but don't be afraid of a typical hunting sized action if that meets weight requirements, it should be plenty rigid for your use.

As others have said, make sure you have a good gunsmith or you would be wasting money on premium materials.

Last edited:
Back